Did I just shoot myself in the foot? Couples Match Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enolate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to know what everyone thinks:

My SO and I are currently trying to scramble to get more interviews in the same places so that we can couples match, as it stands now, it's not necessarily feasible (or it's feasible but not to put us in the same city).

I recently had an interview at the program (surrounded by no other programs in either of our specialties) and spoke to them about my partner, they told me to email name and specialty that she is going into and they would look into it.

They looked into it and the PC of the specialty that she is applying to at this particular program said that they were done giving out their interviews. Essentially that she wasn't going to get one.

What are your guys' opinions about this? I sent an email tot he PC of the program I am applying to explaining that currently we are trying to get more overlap in interviews and this doesn't mean that I am no longer considering the program, which is true because as it stands right now we might not even choose to couples match. Or I could still rank them in whatever algorithm we choose.

I basically feel as though by emailing and asking and having them say no that I've screwed myself over with that specific program. The PC responded and said that she knows the couples match can be hard and she is sorry.

We have emailed a few programs, stating each others names and that we are couples matching...did we really F ourselves in the A???

thanks for all your help in advance everyone!

love,

nervous enolate

Members don't see this ad.

If they " looked into it" and the answer is still no interview, I wouldn't bother. Either your partner isnt of enough interest to the other department or you aren't of enough interest for the PD to really push. You can email, but its unlikely anything will come of it. Focus harder on other options.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you've screwed yourself over with this program in the sense that they won't rank you or anything. But as L2D said, it's best to move on since it's clear your partner isn't going to get an interview. Rank it as you see fit, but I wouldn't "push" anymore at this program.

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the advice. I was obviously hoping that since I was dealing with the program coordinator and not PD and also knowing that they basically discuss and rank applicants right after interviews that it wouldn't affect me, but you're right, who knows. Thanks. Any advice from PDs or aPDs would still be much appreciated!

It's hard to say. If I knew your partner didn't have any chance of matching locally, I might either 1) not care and leave you unchanged on the rank list, let you decide what to do; or 2) remove you from the rank list, assume that you might choose to match with us, and then be unhappy. You have no idea what programs will do, and it's likely to depend on what's happened in the past. If I've had a candidate do that in the past (leave after a year to be nearer their partner), then I'm more likely to unrank you. However, in that case I probably would have waited to interview you only if your partner got an interview -- so chances are you'll be fine.

All that said you have no control over the situation, so you might as well relax.