Did I make a mistake this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been on summer break for the last 5 weeks. In this time I've managed to travel, do some cooking, get outdoors, and generally live like a normal human being. On the flip side, I've done maybe a combined 30 minutes of review/studying. I killed myself with the studying first year, and it paid off, but I just feel like I need this break.

For what it's worth, we started systems early at my school, so first year material IS going to be important for step 1.

Am I going to be starting second year in a big hole having taken the entire summer off? Do people who score well on boards do this? I know I'm probably being neurotic (which is a problem in and of itself), but any feedback from those in a similar position or maybe a year or so ahead of me would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thread like this is why people don't like SDN. Most ppl are enjoying their summer while this person thinks it's a bad idea.
715keq.gif~c200

Reactions: 1 users
I am an entering OMS-1, but obviously from my extensive time on these forums I have learned 2 things about your particular situation.
1.) Don't be neurotic
2.)Please, have fun...and don't be neurotic.

From what I have been told time and time again, take this summer off to yourself..it is your last summer you will ever have to yourself, most likely.

Reactions: 1 user
Chill, you're fine.

I had one Class that started fussing about COMLEX a week into classes.

What I recommend you do is go talk to whoever runs your 2nd year Fall courses and ask them for advice on preparing for those courses. I seem to recall that you were a good student. You have nothing to worry about.

I've been on summer break for the last 5 weeks. In this time I've managed to travel, do some cooking, get outdoors, and generally live like a normal human being. On the flip side, I've done maybe a combined 30 minutes of review/studying. I killed myself with the studying first year, and it paid off, but I just feel like I need this break.

For what it's worth, we started systems early at my school, so first year material IS going to be important for step 1.

Am I going to be starting second year in a big hole having taken the entire summer off? Do people who score well on boards do this? I know I'm probably being neurotic (which is a problem in and of itself), but any feedback from those in a similar position or maybe a year or so ahead of me would be awesome.

In the exact same situation. At my school we cover cardio, pulm, renal, and neuro during first year. I pulled out BRS phys and was going to take all of the quizzes to see how much I've retained... gotten through a whole 11 questions. I've pretty much given up on believing I'm doing anything school related this summer :shrug:

In the exact same situation. At my school we cover cardio, pulm, renal, and neuro during first year. I pulled out BRS phys and was going to take all of the quizzes to see how much I've retained... gotten through a whole 11 questions. I've pretty much given up on believing I'm doing anything school related this summer :shrug:

How'd you do first year if you don't mind my asking?

I did well but my retention is reallllly poor right now...

How'd you do first year if you don't mind my asking?

I did well but my retention is reallllly poor right now...
I wouldn't worry too much about it man.

I did really well first semester, got burnt out and studied a lot less second semester. Still managed B's with an A sprinkled in.

I do admit I feel a slight bit of guilt about not doing research or something though.

I personally know of someone who was a year ahead of us and they were in the top 10 of the class, took the summer off and killed second year as well. Was scoring 250+ on their practice board exams. Anecdotal evidence of course but I'm saying if you were in the tippy top of your class first year you can take a break during the summer.

COMLEX is an easy test... If you are going to take the USMLE, you should be worried. :p

Actually, you probably did yourself a favor and really recharged the batteries. I wouldn't be too concerned --- I know at TCOM they had a 2-3 day review of the pertinent renal/cardio/pulm physiology with the first year professors and then we jumped into renal right away -- I was nowhere near a good student and when I started second year, with no extra effort, I jumped up a letter grade --- I took the month off, spent time with the kiddos and wife and generally got to be Daddy again....

You'll be fine --- and don't get stressed yet about boards -- the best way to do well is to really learn it while in class and take good notes for review over the stuff you don't know/can't remember easily -- don't scrimp on the notes either but be rather explanatory and pedantic remembering that you'll be looking at this stuff a year from now so you may not be up on your train of thought -- explain it to yourself very simplistically if you get my drift.

Relax. Do not study for boards. Start reviewing for boards in January of 2nd yr, then amp it up for dedicated time (4-6 weeks). Again enjoy summer and DO NOT study. You will forget everything unless you are literally doing firecracker every day. It's not worth it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

COMLEX is an easy test... If you are going to take the USMLE, you should be worried. :p

Idk about that. Comlex practice tests are easy, but I felt comlex was harder than usmle ... Not joking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You have received numerous answers about boards in your equally numerous posts about them, so either retention is the issue here or pg 517 of FA needs to be reviewed (2016 edition)

I don't believe in guilt.
I know I know. I am aware that I shouldn't do anything that I don't particularly enjoy (research) but its hard to leave that pre-med mindset. We had to jump through a lot of hoops to get into medical school so that mentality is hard to get rid of.

I know I know. I am aware that I shouldn't do anything that I don't particularly enjoy (research) but its hard to leave that pre-med mindset. We had to jump through a lot of hoops to get into medical school so that mentality is hard to get rid of.

I never did one hour of research in undergrad or medical school. Can't stand it, doesn't make any difference unless you are expecting to go into a research field like oncology, etc.