Did I ruin my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolatechip8552

Reaction score
I had chewing gum in my mouth during my group interview. I wasn’t facing the interviewer directly and usually don’t chew the gum (it just stays in the corner of my mouth). I feel so terrible that I didn’t realize I had gum in my mouth during the interview and am nervous it could ruin my chances. I’ve learned not to do it again but :((

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t stress too much about it. What’s done is done, and you’ve realized the mistake you made. Which really isn’t that big of a deal. Take a deep breath and everything is going to be alright

Reactions: 1 user
I had chewing gum in my mouth during my group interview. I wasn’t facing the interviewer directly and usually don’t chew the gum (it just stays in the corner of my mouth). I feel so terrible that I didn’t realize I had gum in my mouth during the interview and am nervous it could ruin my chances. I’ve learned not to do it again but :((
Chewing gum during an interview is discouraged, but it's understandable that it was an honest mistake. Based on what you've mentioned, it seems that you managed to keep it out of the interviewer's sight, so it's likely that you are the only one who was aware of it. Relax, I'm confident that everything will be fine.
Best of luck...Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
at least it was in a group interview where they are less likely to notice
trust the process...

Chewing gum will only be an issue if you are a marginal candidate.
If you have...
--Solid Grades--Good Test Score--Impressive Extra Curricular Record--Real References--etc.
...bad habits can be overlooked

Was your breath fresh and minty, though? :)

The only objection I recall my faculty having is if you play with your tongue piercing during the interview.

I might give leeway if you are sucking on a sore throat/cough drop to prevent yourself from hacking up a lung during the interview. But I would suspect you'd tell me. I give props to the Listerine Tabs and Strips inventors.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user