Did I screw up...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmayer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I emailed my DO a while back to ask her for a residents contact information who was at the hospital when I shadowed her to ask him a few questions about LECOM (where he graduated). I also asked her if she has any regrets going the DO route oppose to the MD (I wanted to hear it from an old-timer. She also has an "MD" tag on her badge...). It's been a while and she hasn't replied. I am not sure if she took offense to this or not. Anyways, I emailed her a few weeks after this incident to see if she was willing to fill out m MSUCOM reference form and she emailed today saying "Sure, send it over."
I'm a little concerned if she took offense to me asking if she has regrets going DO as she never replied to it, and because she later replied (very blatantly) to the email regarding my MSUCOM reference. I don't know if I want her to fill it out now?

Am I over-thinking?

Members don't see this ad.

tumblr_m5ryws4QMI1qzr04eo1_500.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
She's a doctor, she probably saw your first email and said to herself that she would reply back later and must have completely slipped her mind. A friendly reminder is always a good idea.

She's a doctor, she probably saw your first email and said to herself that she would reply back later and must have completely slipped her mind. A friendly reminder is always a good idea.

To be on the safe side, it's best if you don't ask her again. She may have avoided the question intentionally, and putting her on the spot again might be frustrating for her. This is probably not the case... but since it's not an urgent question, you should avoid bringing it up again.

Okay thanks. I think I will go through with her filling out the MSUCOM reference forms then.

Okay thanks. I think I will go through with her filling out the MSUCOM reference forms then.

She was probably very "to-the-point" because she's busy. It doesn't sound like she was offended. And honestly, it's probably not the first time she's been asked that question. It's not offensive--you were just trying to get honest information. I agree that she probably meant to reply and forgot. Don't over-think it :)

She's probably a prune. There's tons of people like that. They forget how they got to where they are. If they regret the DO degree the should relinquish it and reapply for MD and be rejected again lol.

She's probably a prune. There's tons of people like that. They forget how they got to where they are. If they regret the DO degree the should relinquish it and reapply for MD and be rejected again lol.

:rolleyes:

She also has an "MD" tag on her badge..
That's probably because the hospital system she works for uses "MD" by default for any physician. At one of the hospitals I work at, I have an "MD" ID tag and my notes in Epic are automatically signed MD because they don't have any way to distinguish between DOs and MDs in their system. It wasn't my idea, but it does reinforce the point that the further away you get from being a pre-med, the less that anybody cares about "DO vs. MD".

I seriously doubt this attending is secretly longing to be an MD...especially if you're in Michigan. Michigan is one of the most DO-dominated states in the country.

That's probably because the hospital system she works for uses "MD" by default for any physician. At one of the hospitals I work at, I have an "MD" ID tag and my notes in Epic are automatically signed MD because they don't have any way to distinguish between DOs and MDs in their system. It wasn't my idea, but it does reinforce the point that the further away you get from being a pre-med, the less that anybody cares about "DO vs. MD".

I seriously doubt this attending is secretly longing to be an MD...especially if you're in Michigan. Michigan is one of the most DO-dominated states in the country.

True, although this hospital was filled with MDs. Anyways, I have had my question answered: I am over-thinking. Good luck to everyone this cycle.

It's funny because I had a similar situation as the OP. I emailed an old coworker of mine if he ever experienced any discrimination during his practice because he was a D.O. His response was very frank and to the point and I freaked out because I thought I offended him. He is an emergency medicine chairman and a residency coordinator for an allopathic residency at a very well known hospital so that was his proof to me that he hasn't experienced anything like we do as pre-meds.
Bottom line, as pre-meds, we really need to get it through our heads that NOBODY CARES the further we progress into our careers. They only care of you are a competent doctor and a good colleague. All these hang ups about MD vs. DO really don't matter in the end.
And in my opinion, if I encounter someone who is willing to look down on me for ANY reason then they're full of themselves.