Did most of you score around your full length average for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyorkgirl24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I tested 6/28 and felt wrecked by CP. My Full lengths were 505, 507, 509, 508.
I'd be more than happy to get my average and i'm wondering if people usually do, or did you see a drop from it?
& if yes, were you expecting it?

I'm sure I am being neurotic but anything to ease the mind will be great. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'd be more than happy to get my average and i'm wondering if people usually do, or did you see a drop from it?

I'm sure I am being neurotic but anything to ease the mind will be great. Thank you!

Hard to say, everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to test day anxiety. I’ve had numerous students and friends drop 6-7+ points on test day from their average. That being said, many folks score around their average. How one reacts to stress and anxiety seems to be an indicator.

Reactions: 1 users
Hard to say, everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to test day anxiety. I’ve had numerous students and friends drop 6-7+ points on test day from their average. That being said, many folks score around their average. How one reacts to stress and anxiety seems to be an indicator.
This^^^^. There is no rule. Some go up, some go down, some stay the same. It totally depends on you, and how you react to the specific questions on the exam, as well as test day stress.

The good news for you is that it has been widely reported that people are terrible judges of their own performance, so feeling wrecked by any particular section anecdotally has zero predictive value, and hopefully that will help you chill until you get your score on Tuesday. The other advice that the crusty adcoms would give would be to not waste time or energy stressing about something that you cannot control or change at this point. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust your FL average, unless you know messed up (skipped a passage, panicked, etc).

I think chem/phys and Bio/Biochem grades would be pretty constant unless you have knowledge gaps. For me CARS dipped 4 points which was unfortunate

Wait wow wow wow, which company did these FL's come from? If they came from a private test prep company they are heavily deflated. I outscored my best Kaplan FL by 9 points and my best AAMC Fl by 5. That's a huge spread.

I went up by 3.5 from my average, but only 1 point from my highest score. I felt like I had bombed it, as well, but I always do around high stakes testing, and I had a relatively high FL average. However, I didn't skip any questions, and I was close to predicting my actual score after calming down and clearing my head.

It's like any other bell curve. My practice scores oscillated around but my final one closely matched my average. But plenty of students go up or down several points from that average.

It's also worth noting that your self efficacy is a terrible predictor. I thought about voiding my exam I felt so bad, and look at me now.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I can guarantee that you hit your average +\- 20 points. Anything closer than that is a guess from everyone. Try your best to relax and don’t think about it. Easier said- I know...

Reactions: 1 user
I'll shed some light on this! I took my MCAT in March 2017, and I scored 6 points higher than all the averages on past FL tests I completed with AAMC and Princeton Review.

You'll do fine! If you are someone who has test anxiety, I highly recommend working on that more than the content itself. Anxiety can wreck your score, especially now that the breaks are extremely short.

Hey guys,

I averaged 507 on ALT and 516 on AAMC materials and got 522 (131/132/129/130) on the real thing. That's just one data point though obviously.

We had the exact same average, and I felt the same way about C/P. I honestly felt like voiding after it because I thought I bombed it. It turned out being tied for my highest section. I ended up getting a 508 on the real thing, so expect to hit your average and be hopeful that you were one of the ones to gain a few points.

I got a 520ish avg and scored a 523 on the real deal which was my highest FL. I think something like 90% of people score +/- 5 points of their FL average.

fl1 516, f12 516, fl3 516, fl4 516

Guess what score I got for the real thing? I got a 516!

Score just released a few hours ago and I feel so surprised for my score!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know if the 66% CI of 2 points is true of AAMC practice tests?
Can't remember if the score reports for these mention anything...

Studied for only one month so didn't have time for any 3rd party. Sample was 512, then 511, 507, 513, and 516 respectively, for Fls 1-4.