Did not match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProtonElectron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US 4th year student

I am a long time lurker (I usually do not post due to often hostile nature of these threads)

I interviewed at 13 institutions (everyone said this was "too many")

I ranked 9 (everyone said "you will be fine")

I got multiple "we like you" emails from PDs (meaningless)

I did not match

There are very few spots available in the SOAP.

Members don't see this ad.

My condolences. I have a very close friend who also did not match and I cannot imagine the devastation. Now just focus on the SOAP and the best you can.

Also it's not over even after March 15. There are programs who weren't the NRMP at all and can offer positions at any time without being in violation of the NRMP. (But for the applicants who are participating in the NRMP Main Match, the applicants can only do SOAP programs or they will be in violation of rules). So wait until after March 15 to start looking at some of these other places. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a central place to look up these programs. It's probably more likely who you know/connections.

I know a guy from my last year's class who did not SOAP into anything but he found a prelim position later outside of the SOAP. So don't give up hope and talk to as many people as you can. Best of luck!

I am a long time lurker (I usually do not post due to often hostile nature of these threads)

I did not match

why would you interview at 13 but only rank 9? That literally means you believe that trying to SOAP or sit out a year is better than going to one of those other 4....and you said yourself there are very few spots available in SOAP(which makes sense....bad programs are going to do everything they can to rank enough candidates to try to fill, even with weak people)....

what exactly is the reason you feel you did not match? Do you mind sharing your step scores and approxuimate class ranks? An AMG ranking 9 places and failing to match is pretty unheard of...a 1 in 500 kind of thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please continue to tell me how erroneous it was for me to only rank 9 places for psychiatry - it is incredibly productive. Your patients are so lucky

why would you interview at 13 but only rank 9? That literally means you believe that trying to SOAP or sit out a year is better than going to one of those other 4....and you said yourself there are very few spots available in SOAP(which makes sense....bad programs are going to do everything they can to rank enough candidates to try to fill, even with weak people)....

what exactly is the reason you feel you did not match? Do you mind sharing your step scores and approxuimate class ranks? An AMG ranking 9 places and failing to match is pretty unheard of...a 1 in 500 kind of thing.

first, I'm sorry you didn't match. I imagine yesterday was a very difficult day. Looking at a former thread it appears I told you you *would* match. And ranking 9 places I'm surprised you didn't match somewhere.

That said, not ranking 4 places considering you have 3 step 1 attempts and poor grades was probably not a sound decision. You know that now so I'm not going to beat you up about it. There is a *big* difference between one step 1(or step 2) failure and two failures...if it happens once it's not the end of the world in psychiatry for many programs, including some ok ones. If it happens twice though, that's kind of a red flag....even for psychiatry. Really, two step 1 failures is much worse than 2x as bad as one step 1 failure....

If you don't find something in SOAP, you may want to consider doing 1 month observships at a few noncompetitive programs where you think you have a good shot next year. Because to overcome 3 step 1 attempts(and nothing positive to make up for it), you really need continued in their face 'hey look at me Im solid' exposure that an interview day can't fully provide......the other alternative is to try to nap a preliminary medicine program somewhere and then apply again to psych next cycle, but that's going to be tough.

Apologies it appears that I looked up the wrong poster in this thread....disregard the above.

Please continue to tell me how erroneous it was for me to only rank 9 places for psychiatry - it is incredibly productive. Your patients are so lucky

well...what exactly are you looking for? If you would share more about your situation, that would help....

I am not looking for insight into why I did not match. There were MANY "I matched" posts, I was contributing with my experience.

Last edited:
I am not looking for insight into why I did not match. (If you want me to satisfy your curiosity - no, I did not have multiple attempts on any step of the boards. No, I was not last in my class. No, I did not repeat classes or rotations or years.)

There were MANY "I matched" posts, I was contributing with my experience.

ok...so if you want to contribute with your experience, it would help to know more about why you think you didn't match. How did the interviews go? Did you apply to/rank any safeties?

There is nothing scandalous to my story - I thought every interview went well, I had several PDs contact me with positive feedback including generic "we think you would be a great fit here" statements.

I will perhaps reveal more information (specific programs, etc) after SOAP week is over as I do not want to violate their rules

Last edited:
Given the fairly hostile response to the news of not matching, why would proton seek wise counsel here? He or she may get it, but it comes at a cost...

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

But as an AMG, your chances in the SOAP are better than you think they are - especially if you have no red flags on your application and academic record. Have you gotten any calls or e-mails from SOAP programs yet? SOAP goes through Friday, so you have several rounds of chances to get an offer. Programs can only extend an offer to one person at a time for a single position. (All of this is contingent on the assumption that you're willing to go anywhere to pursue Psych residency).

Good luck!

Last edited:
ProtonElectron. You didn't match. OK. That means nobody liked you/thought you'd "fit", or they liked others more than you (which is the case with those programs that sent you the "we like you/fit here" BS letters or emails). Tighten up OP. This is life. Make the most of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
ProtonElectron. You didn't match. OK. That means nobody liked you/thought you'd "fit", or they liked others more than you (which is the case with those programs that sent you the "we like you/fit here" BS letters or emails). Tighten up OP. This is life. Make the most of it.
way to twist the knife benlinus....

to OP, sorry to hear about your circumstances. I really hope SOAP works out for you and please do keep us all posted on your progress. A lot of people here on these boards want to apply to psych residency in the future (including me). I know that we could all learn from your experience.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, we've had some other friends on this board go through similar struggles and things have turned out better than they probably thought they would during the week of the scramble.

Take some heart. At least you're probably going to be a psychiatrist who wouldn't be so bizarrely socially clueless as to bash somebody when they're feeling their lowest and looking for a little bit of support.

I had two friends who didn't match into another "noncompetitive" specialty. Average medical students with solid typical board scores at a top 10 medical school. It was bizarre and inexplicable. One of them is even faculty back at that same top 10 medical school now. Each of them did a transitional year and the next year matched into top 15-20 programs in their field. Not saying that's typical, but there's a range of possibility. You're in a rare spot, and it might be because of something we don't know, or it might just be tremendous bad luck. We're not evaluating you, so we'll take you at your word. Bad luck sucks.

Reactions: 1 users

Wow. So unnecessary. OP--keep your head up and stay positive. The soap process is just beginning!:luck:

I am not looking for insight into why I did not match. (If you want me to satisfy your curiosity - no, I did not have multiple attempts on any step of the boards. No, I was not last in my class. No, I did not repeat classes or rotations or years.)

There were MANY "I matched" posts, I was contributing with my experience.

Hey ProtonElectron, I'm so sorry to hear your news. Every year there are people in your shoes, and every year there are stories about how they figure things out, often ending up gaining from the experience; although granted I know it's not the news you were hoping for.

Keep us posted about your journey. You definitely aren't alone. Things will improve! You will be more successful in the end and your patients will benefit all the more because of the challenges you face.

Hey there ProtonElectric:

let me tell you that I'm sorry to hear the news as well. I do think it is entirely possible to do everything right and still catch a really lousy break. I remember the way I felt when I failed a shelf exam, even though I studied my a** off and thought I would crush it. Every now and then the lousy odds just catch up with you. Good luck with SOAP.

BTW, I'm an older student, and I had a least a half-dozen times in my life where what I thought was the worst news I ever got turned eventually into one of the best things that ever happened to me. So please keep you chin up! I hope that doesn't sound patronizing. I'm trying to be sincere.

Last edited:
BTW, I'm an older student, and I had a least a half-dozen times in my life where what I thought was the worst news I ever got turned eventually into one of the best things that ever happened to me.
Ah.... a parent, I see...

wtf with folks bashing/grilling the OP, I would hate to see how you all relate to patients

Hope the best for you OP, I've noticed its pretty easy to tell who the helpful posters are on this board so I would suggest PMing them if you have any other more specific questions, so you can avoid the hostility.

Also it's not over even after March 15. There are programs who weren't the NRMP at all and can offer positions at any time without being in violation of the NRMP. (But for the applicants who are participating in the NRMP Main Match, the applicants can only do SOAP programs or they will be in violation of rules). So wait until after March 15 to start looking at some of these other places. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a central place to look up these programs. It's probably more likely who you know/connections.

I'm a US citizen IMG. My school keeps a list of the non-NRMP residency programs. There are only 5 psychiatry programs to my knowledge that are non-NRMP this year. PM me if you want details.

I'm a US citizen IMG. My school keeps a list of the non-NRMP residency programs. There are only 5 psychiatry programs to my knowledge that are non-NRMP this year. PM me if you want details.

:thumbup:great resource

Keep your head up OP!

Many people have been in your shoes and things have turned out OK. You could always do an intern year and become a PGY2 psych resident - several good programs have pgy2 openings every year.

Thank you to everyone for your supportive words (and for taking the time to post them) - it renewed my faith in this website - I am hanging in there

A future colleague deserves better than this. Reflect on your obligation to fellow professionals.

Sorry to hear your news OP. Best of luck in SOAP. For what it's worth, I'm sure there'll be open spots and, like billypilgrim's friend, you'll probably have a successful career anyway.

Also, don't pay any heed to the trolls. Just put them on "ignore" and don't worry about what they say.

I can imagine how upsetting not matching is for you. For now just focus on the SOAP and making the most of your situation.

As an american grad with no red flags on your record and 9 ranks it seems near impossible to not have matched. It could very well be an extraordinary case of bad luck and if you are satisfied with that explanation then so am I. I do however urge you to really do some introspection here and try to delve into what could have gone wrong. It might help you with the SOAP or for next years match or job interviews in the future etc.

Sorry OP...

I heard soon there was going to be twice as many med school graduates in the US as the total number of residency spots in all specialties. Is this true??? If so, even psych is going to be a pain to get in.

I've known a few others who didn't match, but ended up in better positions through scrambling or sitting out a year and building their resume. Though it sucks now, it won't make a difference a couple years from now when you're in residency just like everyone else.

I don't know what's happening in this thread but I'm reading polar opposites, someone even said "condolences" to the OP, and others in support of the OP saying if these other posters talk to their patients like that?! How is that comparison relevant? This is an anonymous forum, the OP is not dealing with a death in the family, nor is this a therapy session for a person who is dealing with PTSD. So the OP should get posts that are sympathetic but there is a limit. Which brings me to the polar opposite: for the people who just have no sensitivity, you do realize that the OP is posting to get some sympathy, right? Criticizing the OP's choices so carelessly is just not helpful to anyone. Just put yourself in OP's position before you say things.

:love:

Vistaril often says clever things but this wasn't one of Vistaril's most insightful or kind remarks. (No offense Vistaril, usually I enjoy your snark, but in this case I think you are just too mean. How is Proton supposed to know how many options are or aren't available in SOAP? Nobody can predict that. Not even you.). Now back to you Proton. I have one message only. It gets better. I just matched. Big deal right? It is a big deal when you have been out of med school for 4 years like I have, tried a neurology residency, found out as an intern that I was the slave of a gang of overlords from Internal Medicine.
Incompetent Nincompoops, I still have PTSD from that. I quit mid year when I realized I
had made a mistake, wanted to be a psychiatrist and that the dysfunctional department I
was in was so abusive that I couldn't take it anymore. Long story short, time passes, I
take step three, do okay, apply and don't match, go through the scramble and three years
go by, I'm still not matched. The reason the story has a happy ending, in my opinion, is
because of the work I did on myself in the meantime. I got with a good CBT therapist (just
happens to be an MD PHD psychiatrist Psychologist- best ever) who helped me figure out
my cognitive distortions that were keeping me back. I learned that I was still hanging onto
my anger and resentment from the Unpleasant experiences in my previous residency,
and that I had to learn how to reframe these so I wouldn't come across as resentful an brooding. (I still am, I'm just better at talking about it now in an interview than I was then.). The trick is to figure out what went wrong in terms of what you could have done differently (in my case, it was my defensiveness and my resentfulness) - and then learning how to deal with my needy inner brat. So when I was "good enough" and had worked through all my issues, the persona that the interviewers saw was someone who had healed significantly and has gained valuable experiences and learned from their mistakes. What I would like to suggest is that you don't give up. If you don't get in this year, there is always next year. Or the year after that. Or the year after that. I told the dean at my school that I would eventually either get into a psychiatry residency, or keep on applying each year and eventually die of old age. It turns out for me, fourth time is the charm. You will not figure out what went wrong and what you need to do differently next time by reading the random advice on this website. You need a real shrink. Don't worry about how much $ it takes or time it takes. It takes whatever it takes. It was a combination of luck, humility, sheer tenacity and a willingness to be honest with myself about my character flaws that I count as the main factors for finally matching. It was my sense of entitlement, my contempt for authority, and my addiction to self rightiousness that were the reasons it took as long as it did. Have faith in yourself, hold the dream near, and keep trying. If Voodoo Dogma can get into a residency, Proton, you too can get into a residency. And ignore all this worthless criticism from people who like to hear themselves talk. Be who you are. Be strong. And get in touch with your inner self. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I heard soon there was going to be twice as many med school graduates in the US as the total number of residency spots in all specialties. Is this true??? If so, even psych is going to be a pain to get in.

We have a ways to go before that happens. For US grads (MD and DO) it looks like there will be more grads than GME spots ~2016/2017 IF there is a 1% reduction in positions, according to the follow article by the NEJM. (The numbers here do not include AOA positions though). Check out Fig 1 a bit down on the page for the skinny.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMhpr1107519

Anyhow, best of luck to you OP. Stay strong and make it happen!

Sorry OP...

I heard soon there was going to be twice as many med school graduates in the US as the total number of residency spots in all specialties. Is this true???

gosh no....even with the new DO schools opening up and increases in allopathic class sizes, there are still far more residency slots than graduates of american med schools

I don't know what's happening in this thread but I'm reading polar opposites, someone even said "condolences" to the OP, and others in support of the OP saying if these other posters talk to their patients like that?! How is that comparison relevant? This is an anonymous forum, the OP is not dealing with a death in the family, nor is this a therapy session for a person who is dealing with PTSD. So the OP should get posts that are sympathetic but there is a limit. Which brings me to the polar opposite: for the people who just have no sensitivity, you do realize that the OP is posting to get some sympathy, right? Criticizing the OP's choices so carelessly is just not helpful to anyone. Just put yourself in OP's position before you say things.

I do think it's strange that some people, right off the bat, they're like, "how will your patients feel," or "how will your program feel?" What do programs or patients have to do with this??? Why is it that some people have no frame of reference by which to judge interpersonal skills other than their JOB? Having such a limited range is a sign of LIMITED interpersonal skills! For example, if you told me my patients thought I was a jerk, I'd be disappointed and all, but I'd be far more alarmed if I found out my Grandma thought I was a boor. And weird enough, I know lots of psychiatrists who pass the CSEs with flying colors but are clearly not the most socially adept.

I think the issue is a simple age old one and that is tact. (Then there is the added issue of whether one possesses internet charm.) When someone's down on the their luck, that's not the time to say harsh words to them, or even to be needlessly practical. We all know people who skirt the niceties in life, but come on.

ProtonElectron I am sorry that on top of your tough news yesterday that some people said thoughtless things. That must have made the day even harder and I'm sorry. I imagine that in person most people would be really sympathetic. We all know the work you've done just to get this far. Keep going!

Sorry to hear this. :( I went through the same thing a few years ago, right down to having almost no open Psych spots in the scramble that year and having someone on SDN make a socially inept snarky comment about my misfortune. :rolleyes: Some people are more comfortable living in a fantasy where bad things only happen to people who deserve them, so they need to believe that people like you and I must have done something to deserve this. The rest of us understand that good people can have bad luck or misjudge things sometimes.

Once it became obvious that I wasn't going to get one of those few psych spots in the scramble, I was very close to totally giving up on Psych forever and scrambling into categorical IM. Shortly after getting home from a hasty interview at a local IM program, I received a call from a traditional rotating internship that I had applied to telling me that they wanted me. I took it as a way of keeping the Psych dream alive. It was an internship in a small city in the middle of nowhere, not somewhere that I ever would have planned on living. I did more ICU call, peds call, and pelvic exams than I ever wanted to do. But you know what? In hindsight, that was actually a pretty good year for me. It turned out that the small city actually was a hidden gem with many great restaurants and beautiful parks (I even went back once for old time's sake after I moved away to revisit things I miss about that place even though I now live in a much larger city with more action). I made some friends and worked with some great attendings who inspired me. It set me up well to end up at a good Psych program the following year. That next year, I ended up matching at a psych program that was not even on my radar at all the first year. I sure wish I had thought of applying to it the first time. ;)

Honestly, I did go through a phase of being very bitter about not matching the first time when I knew I was a good applicant, but as time goes by it has faded. That year wasn't a waste - I totally believe it made me a better psychiatrist.
It also helped me develop a lot of empathy for anyone who gets kicked in the shins by life.

I hope that my story helps you to have hope that things will work out. I believe you're going to find a way to get past this setback. Don't give up. :luck:

Sorry to hear this. :( I went through the same thing a few years ago, right down to having almost no open Psych spots in the scramble that year and having someone on SDN make a socially inept snarky comment about my misfortune. :rolleyes: Some people are more comfortable living in a fantasy where bad things only happen to people who deserve them, so they need to believe that people like you and I must have done something to deserve this. The rest of us understand that good people can have bad luck or misjudge things sometimes.

Once it became obvious that I wasn't going to get one of those few psych spots in the scramble, I was very close to totally giving up on Psych forever and scrambling into categorical IM. Shortly after getting home from a hasty interview at a local IM program, I received a call from a traditional rotating internship that I had applied to telling me that they wanted me. I took it as a way of keeping the Psych dream alive. It was an internship in a small city in the middle of nowhere, not somewhere that I ever would have planned on living. I did more ICU call, peds call, and pelvic exams than I ever wanted to do. But you know what? In hindsight, that was actually a pretty good year for me. It turned out that the small city actually was a hidden gem with many great restaurants and beautiful parks (I even went back once for old time's sake after I moved away to revisit things I miss about that place even though I now live in a much larger city with more action). I made some friends and worked with some great attendings who inspired me. It set me up well to end up at a good Psych program the following year. That next year, I ended up matching at a psych program that was not even on my radar at all the first year. I sure wish I had thought of applying to it the first time. ;)

Honestly, I did go through a phase of being very bitter about not matching the first time when I knew I was a good applicant, but as time goes by it has faded. That year wasn't a waste - I totally believe it made me a better psychiatrist.
It also helped me develop a lot of empathy for anyone who gets kicked in the shins by life.

I hope that my story helps you to have hope that things will work out. I believe you're going to find a way to get past this setback. Don't give up. :luck:

:thumbup: Great story. It's nice to be reminded that you can always turn lemons into lemonade.

I'd like to point out the human propensity to Blame the Victim here--from attitudes like "She was asking for it" to "God sent that hurricane to teach New York City a lesson" and many varieties in between, we use these cognitive distortions to assure ourselves that Bad Things won't happen to Good People (like us). Therefore, if something Bad happens to someone (One of "Those" People), it must be their fault somehow. Look up the "Just World Hypothesis" sometime. Certain people on this board appear to believe quite strongly in it. :rolleyes:

Hang in there, OP. May your elementary particles be found attractive.

OP,

Sorry I have been off the site for the past week going to the national director's meeting and then playing catch up here at my program. Hopefully you did put your name into the hat for the SOAP process. If programs do contact you be ready to discuss with them what happened in the Match. You need to be somewhat honest with them as the SOAP process is not a match. Programs can only make the number of offers that they have openings for and applicants that receive several offers get to choose which one they want. Thus, programs have to weigh their options very carefully. They might not necessarily go for the strongest applicant because if they feel they are a weaker program then they will be fearful that they will loose you to another applicant. The wise programs will probably be making offers to people they think will accept their offer over another offer. Thus, they will be looking at other things, too, like how likely are you to want to go to their place (some habitual programs that do not feel are fine programs, it is just that their location is less than desirable than that of programs of similar caliber).

Bad things can happen to good and hard working people. Keep your chin up and keep fighting. Good Luck!!!

Like the others, I'm sorry to hear you're in this situation. Please keep us updated. Lots of us are rooting for you.

Endless thanks for all this overwhelming support and advice! I did not obtain a position in the SOAP, however I am completely committed to entering a psychiatry residency one way or another (or one year or another) - I will keep everyone posted

Peppy I remember your story from when you went through the scramble a few years ago, and how you found your transitional spot. I've been so impressed with the way you've gone forward, and stuck to your plan, and I think you are an inspiration! I'm actually envious because you've gotten to see things most of us will never have the chance to!

I did not match

Just curious, are you allopathic or osteopathic?

ProtonElectron, Hang in There! If you were meant to be a Psychiatrist you will find a way.

Just curious, are you allopathic or osteopathic?

ProtonElectron is looking for support and advice on this post. As a DO, I'm curious on the point of asking this question.

ProtonElectron is looking for support and advice on this post. As a DO, I'm curious on the point of asking this question.

He's a US MD student with crappy stats and wants to be comforted in the notion that he'll still be alright, provided OP is a DO. If OP is a US MD, he gets scared.

He's a US MD student with crappy stats and wants to be comforted in the notion that he'll still be alright, provided OP is a DO. If OP is a US MD, he gets scared.

or he's just trying to understand the situation better....

that said, if you're to be a US student with crappy stats and a crappy application, i'd rather by an allo than osteopathic student.

or he's just trying to understand the situation better....

that said, if you're to be a US student with crappy stats and a crappy application, i'd rather by an allo than osteopathic student.

The guy has 12 posts. It's not too hard to figure out.

Last edited: