Did Poorly in 1/2 Summer Classes, Do I need to send grades now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwannaruninthestream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took 2 pre-reqs this summer, both during the same month long session which was an awful idea. I got an A- in one and failed the other- I'm thinking of re-taking that class next semester. My senior year has a very light courseload and a non 4 week-accelerated schedule for the class would much better suit me.

I'm worried that sending my schools that I've applied to my summer grades would raise a red flag with the F. Could I just send them an updated transcript after the fall semester?

Stats btw: 516, 3.3/3.0 gpa. Applied to a lot of low and mid tier schools, and have a decent number of in-state public schools I'm hoping for.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you theoretically don't have to send in your grades right now - are these courses listed as future courses on AMCAS?

But, the important part is that lets say you get an II and an acceptance. My three acceptances all came with the condition of maintaining good academic standing which was defined by the schools as no course below a C (one was no grades below a C+).

So, on that basis your theoretical acceptance is theoretically up in the air and at the discretion of the school.

Well, you theoretically don't have to send in your grades right now - are these courses listed as future courses on AMCAS?

But, the important part is that lets say you get an II and an acceptance. My three acceptances all came with the condition of maintaining good academic standing which was defined by the schools as no course below a C (one was no grades below a C+).

So, on that basis your theoretical acceptance is theoretically up in the air and at the discretion of the school.

Read OP wrong

edit again lol: as in I did, not you, sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
So that's where I'm conflicted- it was listed as a future course. If I'm interviewed before end of December/early January, I don't know what I would say if asked about the summer grades. I've read elsewhere that applicants did not submit the summer grades and were not asked about it at all.

There's 2 things I'm considering-

1. I don't think my stats are competitive enough for me to get an early acceptance, so if I do get accepted in January-March, I'm hoping I get above the C/C+ my second time around so my acceptance wouldn't be in jeopardy.

2. I don't think I would even get interviews with the glaring F and no chance to justify/explain what I learned from the experience, which is what would happen if I sent my summer grades now.

So that's where I'm conflicted- it was listed as a future course. If I'm interviewed before end of December/early January, I don't know what I would say if asked about the summer grades. I've read elsewhere that applicants did not submit the summer grades and were not asked about it at all.

There's 2 things I'm considering-

1. I don't think my stats are competitive enough for me to get an early acceptance, so if I do get accepted in January-March, I'm hoping I get above the C/C+ my second time around so my acceptance wouldn't be in jeopardy.

2. I don't think I would even get interviews with the glaring F and no chance to justify/explain what I learned from the experience, which is what would happen if I sent my summer grades now.

You'd still have to report the F though, even if you get above a C the second time. AFAIK both grades will be looked at and the F will obviously fall below the line.

Maybe best to get @Goro to give his opinion from the perspective of an adcom

OP's GPA is lethal for MD schools and circling the drain for DO. The uneven academic performance with the most recent F is concerning. The discordance between the MCAT and GPAs will also raise eyebrows.

What kind of grade trend do you have? Because if it was all upward trend and then a sudden F that looks bad. Either way looks bad but do you have an upward, downward or no trend?