Did TBR use heat capacity when they meant specific heat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meredith92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Example 8.18 in gen chem book 2 of TBR says "What is the heat capacity of a material that requires 3.0 kcal to increase a 15.0 g sample from 25 degrees C to 75 degrees C
They used q=mC deltaA and plugged in 3000cal=15g (C) (50K) so C=3000cal/(15g)(50K)=3000cal/750gK

so C is 4 cal/gK

However I thought (based on another thread i found) that specific heat is cal/gK whereas heat capacity is cal/K

Which one is correct? I just want to make sure I dont use the wrong one on thursday! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are right. Specific heat capacity is per unit mass and heat capacity is property of the whole object/system.

When some sloppiness is ok, people might skip 'specific,' if it is obvious from the context. I would hope that the exam will not make you deal with such ambiguities.

Thanks! It's a little surprising tbr wasn't being specific, but oh well thanks for your help!

It happens, I also misuse speed vs. velocity occasionally. :) Most of the time you deal with specific heat capacity anyway - you'd have to measure it for each object separately otherwise.

PS: and you earn 1 bonus point for the "specific" pun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! It's a little surprising tbr wasn't being specific, but oh well thanks for your help!

There are a few of these in the book that they know about. There's another one with density and specific gravity. I think they leave one here and there because the AAMC sample materials also have one here and there. I don't think it will make any difference on your MCAT, but it's good to see that you are paying attention. Keep the energy and good feelings up for a few more days! Best of luck on Thursday!!!