Did you do the MMEP summer program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chapinsita

from premed to med!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone here participated in the MMEP 6 week program and where. I am thinking of applying but was wondering about the admission criteria (GPAs accepted) and the overall effectiveness. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did MMEP at Yale in summer 2001. It was the BEST experience! It gives you the opportunity to meet other URMs around the country (I still keep in contact with a lot of them) and get your foot in the door at the school you attend for the program. I've heard that all of the MMEPs around the country are really good.
I really encourage you to apply, especially to Yale.
The good thing about MMEP is that they look at your potential to succeed. So there were people at my program who didn't have the best GPAs but who truly had the capacity to be great applicants in the future. MMEP really tries to work with these students over the 6 week period and give them the means to increase their stats.
As for effectiveness, I cannot even begin to tell you how much it has helped me. Aside from MCAT prep, shadowing experience, and insight into the life of medical students, residents, and physicians, it also looks very impressive to other schools. So far, every interviewer I've had has asked me about MMEP at Yale and seemed very impressed by the fact that I attended.

Let me know if you have any more questions! :)

do you have to be a minority to participate, or is it just for minorities? it seems like a good experience, and id like to do it. would persians be considered a minority by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am planning on doing that MMEP next year. I heard its a really great program and it prepares you greatly for the application process, as well as the MCAT. I am so excited:clap:

From their website under FAQ's:

MMEP aims to increase the minority population in medicine of groups that continue to be underrepresented in American medicine including Blacks, Hispanics and Native Americans, but all U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible for the program. You can also check out other enrichment programs that are not directed toward minorities.

awesome program, i attended the one in alabama med and it was a heart warming experience. u get to learn so much. the coolest aspect is that u get to interact with your peers and form a realistic view on your path to medicine. for me this program helped me focus and gave me much insight on the application process, medical school adcoms, and mcat

Originally posted by pbehzad
do you have to be a minority to participate, or is it just for minorities? it seems like a good experience, and id like to do it. would persians be considered a minority by any chance?

I'm sure you have better odds if you're URM, but it isn't a requirement. One of my best friends in the program was Chinese. And I specifically remeber a couple caucasian girls at my program (University of Washington).

What type of stats do you need to get accepted? Is acceptance really competitive? how large is each class. PM if you wish.

I don't know if the criteria is publicly available, but I would assume that they'd want to pick applicants who will have promise, i.e. a decent shot at medical school but may just need a program like MMEP to put them over the top.

To answer your second question, the UW MMEP program had 88 MMEP participants.

Title: Effect of an intensive educational program for minority college students and recent graduates on the probability of acceptance to medical school.
Source: JAMA (JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association.) 1998 Sep 2; 280(9): 772-6
Additional Info: UNITED STATES
Standard No: ISSN: 0098-7484; NLM Unique Journal Identifier: 7501160
Language: English
Abstract: CONTEXT: Increasing the number of minority physicians is a long-standing goal of professional associations and government. OBJECTIVE: To determine the effectiveness of an intensive summer educational program for minority college students and recent graduates on the probability of acceptance to medical school. DESIGN: Nonconcurrent prospective cohort study based on data from medical school applications, Medical College Admission Tests, and the Association of American Medical Colleges Student and Applicant Information Management System. SETTING: Eight US medical schools or consortia of medical schools. PARTICIPANTS: Underrepresented minority (black, Mexican American, mainland Puerto Rican, and American Indian) applicants to US allopathic medical schools in 1997 (N =3830), 1996 (N = 4654), and 1992 (N =3447). INTERVENTION: The Minority Medical Education Program (MMEP), a 6-week, residential summer educational program focused on training in the sciences and improvement of writing, verbal reasoning, studying, test taking, and presentation skills. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: Probability of acceptance to at least 1 medical school. RESULTS: In the 1997 medical school application cohort, 223 (49.3%) of 452 MMEP participants were accepted compared with 1406 (41.6%) of 3378 minority nonparticipants (P= .002). Positive and significant program effects were also found in the 1996 (P=.01) and 1992 (P=.005) cohorts and in multivariate analysis after adjusting for nonprogrammatic factors likely to influence acceptance (P<.001). Program effects were also observed in students who participated in the MMEP early in college as well as those who participated later and among those with relatively high as well as low grades and test scores. CONCLUSIONS: The MMEP enhanced the probability of medical school acceptance among its participants. Intensive summer education is a strategy that may help improve diversity in the physician workforce.

I began the MMEP application process last year but did not finish. I believe I will wait until I have completed 1 year of post-bacc classes.

Thanks wolferman for the phenomenal information!

Also be aware that there are tons of summer research experiences geared to but not limited to URM's. This is also a great way to network, but only do this if you think that research is your cup of tea. I applied to MMEP and research at Vandy/Meharry, and opted for the research. By the way I got into all the MMEP programs that I applied to. Good luck to all!

I participated in the MMEP at the University of Alabama summer 2000. It was a terrific experience. I worked on a cadaver for six weeks, took actual gross anatomy courses, and prepared for the MCAT. I also had the opportunity to meet the admissions committee and shadow several physicians. The money was nice also:)

do you have to be either puerto rican or mexican american to apply, or of any hispanic background?

I did MMEP at Rice/Baylor last summer. It is an excellent program and will definitely open doors for you. You do not have to be a URM, I am Cuban/White and I had asian and white friends in the program. I encourage all to apply, it never hurts. I was able to assist in some surgeries and really enjoyed the gross anatomy course.

I participated in the Chicago program in 2000( UChicago,Rush Medical School, Loyola Medical School, Northwestern) It was pretty cool , and I made some long lasting friends, all of whom are now in medical school. If anything, it's an excellent opportunity to network with admissions people, so they are more familiar with you come application time.

famousdoc2b said:
I participated in the MMEP at the University of Alabama summer 2000. It was a terrific experience. I worked on a cadaver for six weeks, took actual gross anatomy courses, and prepared for the MCAT. I also had the opportunity to meet the admissions committee and shadow several physicians. The money was nice also:)

Hey,

I also participated in MMEP at UAB in 2000. Which group were you in (Freshman&Sophomore OR Junior, Senior &Post-bacc)?

Hey! My old last year's thread has been revived! To update..I ended up applying and getting accepted into all the programs to which I applied, and I met many who were accepted everywhere too. I chose the Columbia P&S site over Baylor and WashU. It was an incredible experience! We were in a biomed class all day and dissected a human heart, we had lab and anatomy along with shadowing "rotations," many seminars and even free Examkrackers MCAT prep (optional). The most valuable part was the mentorship from the current med students and the office of minority affairs.

spongiebob said:
do you have to be either puerto rican or mexican american to apply, or of any hispanic background?

I am not puerto rican, mexican, african-american, or native american, but I was still accepted. On my program, there were white, asian, caribbean, middle-eastern and other latinos. Although it was definitely geared towards minority recruitment, not everyone counted as a minority according to AAMC.