Did You get PRITE results

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Piaget, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Piaget

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Our program didnt receive the results as yet ...how about you guys ? Looking forward to terrible performance

2. kcrd

kcrd Playing doctor
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    scores are usually back right before christmas

3. Faebinder

Faebinder Slow Wave Smurf
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah supposedly think week. Not that excited about them though... took forever for them to return and the prite fever is gone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Piaget

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My worst performance in any exam ever ................

5. Faebinder

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Errr... i didnt even see my results yet.. mmm..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kcrd

kcrd Playing doctor
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We haven't gotten ours back yet either. I am expecting a lower standing this year - I thought this test was more difficult than previous years - fewer repeat questions, and a lot of random material.

7. Piaget

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got it last week .... well how is your performance guys ? I dont know how to interpret my result ..

8. kcrd

kcrd Playing doctor
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ours still haven't arrived (or our PD is squirreling them away until after xmas.) What are you having difficulty figuring out?

9. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We got ours yesterday. Apparently, I have an aptitude for "miscellaneous."

10. jjbmsiv

jjbmsiv INTJ
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I haven't heard a word about them at our program, either. I can't say I'm very much looking forward to it - it definitely seemed much harder than last year's, when I was a lowly intern with 3 months of experience. Guess we'll find out, eh?

11. billypilgrim37

billypilgrim37 Unstuck in Time
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We got ours today.

12. Piaget

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How was it ?

13. billypilgrim37

billypilgrim37 Unstuck in Time
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Apparently I'm an incredible guesser.

14. Faebinder

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ours are apparently in our mail box and I refuse to go in to get it till the vacation is over. hheheh.

15. Piaget

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah , thats the most appropriate thing to do , my result ruined my Vacations. I know, its not an important exam for pgy1 but still feeling bad :( My performance in neurology is very bad, I dont understand why the board exams give so much weightage to Neurology with just 2 months of neuro roatation in residency tenure. Well, how many questions we need to answer correct to score good. Anyways , I will try work on this exam next year. Cheers

PS: Faebinder , I am sure you must have done great.

16. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm telling you guys...don't put too much weight on this if you did poorly.

I was not a stellar PRITE taker, but if you know the basics of psychiatry and study a bit, you'll do well on the boards. The board questions, in my opinion, are much more straight forward and reasonable than those BS "Which therapist invented X modality in 1591" questions.

Just know tegretol in & out. :laugh:

17. Psychintern2006

Psychintern2006 New Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Dont worry - if you perform bad in first three years - you will have great improvement in your PGY4- stay under the radar:) :D ! Develop your interviewing skills and clinical knowledge - read up the pt related stuff. (as sazi mentioned) PRITE is definitely not predictive of clinical acumen - though they claim it - I scored more in my PGY1 than my PGY2. This last one (PGY3) I was "great" in Neurology ( lol !!!), Psychiatry - a little better than PGY 1. Go Figure.:idea:

18. Faebinder

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interesting enough...

My neurology blows... well it doesn't blow, it's just not as good as my psychiatry (just started my neurology rotation btw).

On the other hand I am a master of Forensic Psychiatry despite my intense hate for it.

And like Hurricane.. I have great aptitude for "MISCELLANEOUS" :laugh:

And I blow in alcohol despite daily managing of at least 5 alcoholics on our unit. :annoyed::bullcrap: Maybe I should start drinking actually? :smack:

19. GATORANALYST

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What kind of score should someone at the PGY-1 level be aiming for. A buddy of mine told me that anything above the median score (>50%) is descent. Is this true?

20. kcrd

kcrd Playing doctor
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We finally got ours back. I am happy with my score, but my future as a Psychiatric Miscellanist is grim - near the bottom of my class! I also randomly did very well in child, which I detest, and not so hot in Geri, which is what I want to specialize in.

ETA: Gator, I think we were told if you get over 50th percentile you are likely to be able to pass the written boards, so that seems like a decent cutoff.

#20 kcrd, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  21. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One year I recall being #27 out of 28 residents on my Child score....and I had kids! :eek:

22. fMRI

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    :laugh:

Maybe your kids aren't textbook material for psychiatry? ;)

Quite a few people seem to be reporting here that their favorite area is where they scored worst:

- Faebinder is great at forensics and detests it
    - kcrd hates kids and got a great score
    - kcrd loves geriatric psych and didn't do stellar there

Considering the trends in our data, :p
    you might be in the running for being world's greatest Dad? :D

23. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm afraid that there is PLENTY of textbook material in my home! :bang:

24. kcrd

kcrd Playing doctor
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't hate all kids - just bad kids. I love my little angel ;)

25. danzx8

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I just got my results today. Can't believe it. I scored the lowest in my class in psychiatry, and the highest in neuro/neuroscience. I guess I should have considered neurology residency.
    Any idea about how the scoring works for PRITE? Is there any "passing score"?

26. FURY 161

FURY 161 XYY-Correctional Facility
    2+ Year Member

Raw score means the number of questions you answered correctly. Percentile rank is what is the percentage of the people in the group in question that have lower performance than you. STD score means standard score, but I don't know how it is calculated.
    Тhere is no passing score. Some programs set their own passing score and make some residents repeat the exam (usually a previous year exam) if they fail to reach the set percentile rank. PRITE is a good estimate of your theoretical knowledge and test taking skills, it corresponds with clinical performance and with passing rates on the part 1 of the real board. However, your rank in the program means NOTHING. If you are in a highly competitive program and you are the last, but still have 94 percentile rank for your PGY level nationwide, you can live with that. If you are in a crappy program and you are the first in your program, but you have 5 percentile rank in your PGY 4 year nationwide, that is bad, most likely you will not pass the real board, like everybody else in the program. So, the important thing is your percentile rank within your PGY. If you beat the 50th percentile in your PGY, you are above the nationwide average.
    PRITE is a good estimate and learning tool. It is not intended to pass or fail it, but to monitor your progress throughout the years.The trend is more important than the actual numbers. It depends on your program how much weight they will put on the test in terms of your reputation there. Generally it is not important and most PDs are cool about it, but some PDs with insecurity and no confidence will push the residents to perform well, to boast about something, if the program does not generally have a good reputation to boast about something else, like research.