Did You See This? Animal Planets "Treat Parvo From Home" Article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbeventer

Illinois 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what is sadder, the article encouraging people to treat parvo from home, or the ignorant people committing on the article. Dang.

I kinda would of expected a little bit better from Animal Planet.

Animal Planet Article

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is blowing up my FB newsfeed. Every vet across the globe is just saying :wtf:

I saw this awhile back. Someone at my school wrote to the network about how dangerous the article was and all they got back was a form letter.

Yeah, I posted this on Facebook when I saw it because I was a little stunned. I was more stunned by the comments encouraging people to treat their dogs with lemon juice, and that it was normal for them to throw up from the lemon juice. We used to see a lot of parvo dogs at work, and my own rescue dog had it when I got home. Parvo is no joke.

What the frick is wrong with people?? Lemon juice will not save your dog from parvo! Dr. Google also won't help you cure your dog either, stop trying. /rant

A couple of my classmates and I discussed this today. So upsetting

What the frick is wrong with people?? Lemon juice will not save your dog from parvo! Dr. Google also won't help you cure your dog either, stop trying. /rant

Too many people today are ignorant and suspicious of science, in all of its many expressions.

My hope for humanity drops every time I hear someone talk about their "cleanse" diets and how a concoction of lemon juice and spices can detoxify their bodies. If people can be that ridiculous with their own health, it's hard for me to expect much when it comes to their pets..... or their children (cough... anti-vaxxers... cough).

Maybe this is all just a vast conspiracy of misinformation to benefit..... lemon producers. :)

(I think they're onto me. That smiley looks suspiciously like a lemon. Conspiracy, proven.)

Need a vet to get antibiotics. Easiest and most efficient way to administer fluids and make up for electrolyte deficits is IV, which requires a vet professional. Because how many dogs actually want to drink water when they feel like **** and vomiting.

I mean, it comes across like this was written by some ignorant copy writer who is getting paid by the article and isn't really aware of the implications of what they're saying.

The clinic I've spent a good chunk of time at will let people attempt to treat their parvo dog at home if there are financial constraints. We put in an IV, supply plenty of fluid bags, lend a pump, give meds and detailed instructions and they visit back daily to have progress checked. I agree that this article is not the way to go about addressing parvo care options, but I do believe there are ways out there that will help the client to spend less and still provide quality care for their animal.

The clinic I've spent a good chunk of time at will let people attempt to treat their parvo dog at home if there are financial constraints. We put in an IV, supply plenty of fluid bags, lend a pump, give meds and detailed instructions and they visit back daily to have progress checked. I agree that this article is not the way to go about addressing parvo care options, but I do believe there are ways out there that will help the client to spend less and still provide quality care for their animal.

You allow clients to admin IV fluids at home? That seems risky to me.

We would allow at home treatment, but we showed them how to do SQ fluids and the fluid bag would have a bunch of the medications added to it, so they would give the fluids for the first day or two, then switch over to oral medications and SQ fluids without meds added to the bag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need a vet to get antibiotics. Easiest and most efficient way to administer fluids and make up for electrolyte deficits is IV, which requires a vet professional.

Neither of these statements are necessarily true. That's why this article is dangerous. There are places one could go to get non-prescribed antibiotics (they might not be effective or appropriate for the animal) and lots of people outside of veterinary professions might have the basic knowledge to place an IV and administer fluids... or at least think that they do. :eek:

I mean, it comes across like this was written by some ignorant copy writer who is getting paid by the article and isn't really aware of the implications of what they're saying.

Having done quite a bit of copy writing myself on subjects of which I was completely ignorant, I can confirm that this is exactly what this article sounds like. Lines like "Long-term treatment in a veterinary clinic is lonely for your sick dog" sounds exactly like the sort of things I would pull out of my butt just to round out the word count. And since the author is listed as "HowStuffWorks Contributors", I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were using MTurk or something similar to generate their articles for them.

Neither of these statements are necessarily true. That's why this article is dangerous. There are places one could go to get non-prescribed antibiotics (they might not be effective or appropriate for the animal) and lots of people outside of veterinary professions might have the basic knowledge to place an IV and administer fluids... or at least think that they do. :eek:

Indeed, I discovered that the local Tractor Supply back home sells Penicillin by the quart. Its marked towards livestock producers, but there's no doubt in my mind that Joe Q. Public would have no problem buying it to treat a parvo dog, thinking he's pulling one over on those money-grubbing vets. :mad:

Not trying to nit pick, but IV is the best route for correcting hypovolemia. Not the best route for random people to be doing at home alone, but there is a reason we recommend IVs / hospitalization for parvo treatment.

...that said, I have seen a lot of dogs do great with outpatient treatment.

You allow clients to admin IV fluids at home? That seems risky to me.

We would allow at home treatment, but we showed them how to do SQ fluids and the fluid bag would have a bunch of the medications added to it, so they would give the fluids for the first day or two, then switch over to oral medications and SQ fluids without meds added to the bag.

It does seem risky, and full disclosure: this place isn't always top-notch on their practices. That said, it isn't just "here's a line and a bag, have fun!" but detailed instructions are given on use and monitoring for swelling of the leg, etc. Fortunately, these people we've had that are willing to pay the still-high cost of parvo care (just not as high as in-clinic stay) have been very diligent. I would hope that if the client was obviously trying to get around the whole cost, they'd given them materials for SQ injections and oral meds.

The comments underneath the article are my favorite part. I don't know about everyone else, but never in my life have I met a veterinarian who said, "Oh, you can't pay for everything that I recommend? Well then sucks cause I'm not touching your pet.." These people think that veterinarians don't work with people who are on a budget, and don't do things like accept CareCredit to help pay for things. The practice where I work, it's a common thing to present a plan of action with complicated cases before proceeding with all diagnostics and medications. Then the owner usually gives us a number to stay under and we do the best we can to make it work. There can be a happy medium between paying money and receiving "good" care (obviously not always the best, but good care nonetheless). Too many people just don't understand that..

Not trying to nit pick, but IV is the best route for correcting hypovolemia. Not the best route for random people to be doing at home alone, but there is a reason we recommend IVs / hospitalization for parvo treatment.

I have no doubt that outpatient treatment is possible, but that's not the issue here. This article actively encourages people to avoid seeing their vet. Using an outpatient treatment plan under a vet's supervision to cut costs is one thing, self-diagnosing parvo and attempting to treat it with lemon juice because the internet said it's okay is another matter entirely.

I wish we could do something to stop the spread of anti-intellectualism (because that's really what it boils down to: you know things that I don't understand, therefore I can't trust you) in this country, but any attempt at educating people gets written off as vets being selfish, money hungry, and on the take with the pharmaceutical companies. It's ridiculous and the animals are the ones who end up paying for it in the end, but I don't think we'll be seeing any less of this line of thinking anytime soon, unfortunately.

I have no doubt that outpatient treatment is possible, but that's not the issue here. This article actively encourages people to avoid seeing their vet. Using an outpatient treatment plan under a vet's supervision to cut costs is one thing, self-diagnosing parvo and attempting to treat it with lemon juice because the internet said it's okay is another matter entirely.

I wish we could do something to stop the spread of anti-intellectualism (because that's really what it boils down to: you know things that I don't understand, therefore I can't trust you) in this country, but any attempt at educating people gets written off as vets being selfish, money hungry, and on the take with the pharmaceutical companies. It's ridiculous and the animals are the ones who end up paying for it in the end, but I don't think we'll be seeing any less of this line of thinking anytime soon, unfortunately.

I was responding to Jess Monster's comment about fluid routes which made it sound like IV fluids were not the best route - trying to clarify for people who may not be aware that IV fluids are physiologically more appropriate for a truly hypovolemic animal, but at the same time, acknowledging that there is an important place for closely monitored outpatient treatment with SQ fluids (like the clinic I worked at where they would come in for daily SQ administration by a tech).

Obviously I am aware that outpatient treatment under a vet is not the same as homemade lemon juice juju :rolleyes:

Did no one else see this article on the right as well?

http://animal.discovery.com/pets/home-remedies-for-dogs.htm

Luckily, it seems as if most of them recommend the vet and using veterinary products, but some people still comment on "home remedies" in the comments. There just should not be any article entitled "home remedies for x condition".

I just saw the have a whole collection of these types of articles... disappointing.

I'm not questioning whether or not IV fluids are an appropriate protocol.

I'm questioning the belief that doing this treatment ALWAYS requires a vet professional. It should on some level, even if the vet is only training the client how to do it at home, but there are many out there who would have no qualms by-passing the vet completely to do risky at home procedures and it's very likely not illegal.

These articles and their comments just prove how much the vet's role as animal health "gatekeeper" has eroded.

I'm not questioning whether or not IV fluids are an appropriate protocol.

I'm questioning the belief that doing this treatment ALWAYS requires a vet professional. It should on some level, even if the vet is only training the client how to do it at home, but there are many out there who would have no qualms by-passing the vet completely to do risky at home procedures and it's very likely not illegal.

These articles and their comments just prove how much the vet's role as animal health "gatekeeper" has eroded.

I just went back and read your initial comment and we're totally on the same page.

As far as getting abx from the feed store, I wonder if with the increasing federal oversight of abx use if that will be outlawed.

Did no one else see this article on the right as well?

http://animal.discovery.com/pets/home-remedies-for-dogs.htm

Luckily, it seems as if most of them recommend the vet and using veterinary products, but some people still comment on "home remedies" in the comments. There just should not be any article entitled "home remedies for x condition".

I just read this article too and unfortunately, also read the comments as well. One woman writes "My 11 year old min pin has congestive heart failure. She coughs a lot, seems lethargic, and her belly is bloated. I'm wanting natural remedies which I can do at home to help her."

I'm pretty tempted to write back, "if an at home natural remedy is the only option you're willing to pursue then maybe you should consider putting a fork in your own eyeball." But alas, I'll just sit here and shake my head..

I just read this article too and unfortunately, also read the comments as well. One woman writes "My 11 year old min pin has congestive heart failure. She coughs a lot, seems lethargic, and her belly is bloated. I'm wanting natural remedies which I can do at home to help her."

I'm pretty tempted to write back, "if an at home natural remedy is the only option you're willing to pursue then maybe you should consider putting a fork in your own eyeball." But alas, I'll just sit here and shake my head..

I saw that comment too. My first thought was, "I wonder if that dog is still alive?"

There isn't a single home or natural remedy that is going to help that dog. She needs to get it to a vet. I wish people would at least try the vet instead of assuming they can't afford it. Someone else was asking for home remedies for an ear infection because they "don't want a massive vet bill", well, if they tried the vet they could probably get the dog's ear infection cleared for less than $100, but people assume and it makes them look stupid and only allows for the pet to suffer more and the cost to increase as they beat around the bush.

The AVMA just got Animal Planet to change the article... They are going to work together to get the info right. Yay!

Too bad the AVMA cannot comprehend that its's own ignorance and stupidity regarding basic economics is at the same level of the ignorant and stupid individuals who want to cure Parvo with the "magic" of lemon juice.

I think it is a ton better... You seem like you still don't like it. What's wrong with it?

Oh it's definitely much better! I just don't love it :) but I didn't expect to either.

Oh it's definitely much better! I just don't love it :) but I didn't expect to either.

I agree its much better, for some reason it has a hurried feel to me though (like someone sat down and cranked it out in with a 30 minute deadline).
But by far improved from where it was.
.... Now if all the home remedy articles on there can get changed.