Navy Did your active duty status from HSCP make you eligible for in-state tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramborhino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will be starting dental school next summer, but am posting this in here as the Navy HSCP is the same for medical students. Seems to be more contributors here than on the military dental forum.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through or knows someone in the HSCP program who was able to get in-state tuition at a public school from their active duty status? Some of the public schools I am looking at (Michigan, Wash, Colorado) all offer in-state tuition to active duty members with proof of military ID AND military orders. I am asking because I would only do HSCP if I can get the in-state tuition (otherwise I'd opt for HPSP). I'd rather go HSCP over HPSP as I'd like to do career military (or transfer years over to USPHS Commissioned Corps later on).

My recruiter said I would get a military ID but wasn't sure if I get orders. Did you get military orders to prove your active duty status in the military? Did you get hassled because you are active duty primarily for pay as part of an educational program? or because you were not assigned to a base/have a military job? If I don't get orders, what would I do? I really just don't want to think it is a sure-thing only to find out I am unable to get the in-state tuition for whatever reason.

Hope anyone can help me out with some stories or suggestions. Thank you!!

There are no "Orders" when you are on HSCP. But you are "Active" for sure. This "Active" but not have orders has its complications but have usually been able to prove "Active"-ness.
Every state has different in-state tuition/residency rules.

I was curious and posted links that might help below:
I think you need to talk to the medical school's registrar's office to ask what they need for you to prove your "Active" status without orders.

Washington:
http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency/military.html

>>>
Military Personnel
Active Duty Members Stationed in Washington
To apply for residency for tuition as active duty military members or as a member's spouse or dependents, students must

• Complete and print the Resident Tuition for Military Personnel form.
  • Return the original, completed Resident Tuition for Military Members form (we DO NOT accept photocopies or faxes) to our office along with the supporting documentation (i.e., copy of student's military ID and copy of active duty military member's orders to be stationed in WA).
  • Review should take about one week. After that time, students may contact our office to inquire about the status of their paperwork.
>>>

Michigan:
http://ro.umich.edu/resreg.php
>>>
III. Establishing Eligibility Through Service

You also may qualify for in-state tuition, without regard to your legal residence, by demonstrating any of the following:
  1. you are serving on active duty in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, Merchant Marine, or Coast Guard;
  2. you are a reservist in one of those branches;
  3. you were honorably discharged or received a general discharge under honorable conditions from one of those branches or their reserve component;
  4. you are serving as an officer in the U.S. Public Health Service;
  5. you are the spouse or dependent child of someone living or stationed in Michigan who is serving in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, Merchant Marine, or Coast Guard, whether on active duty or as a reservist; OR
  6. you are the spouse or dependent child of someone living or stationed in Michigan who is serving as an officer in the U.S. Public Health Service.
To establish eligibility by demonstrating service, you must complete the following form: Application for In-State Tuition on the Basis of Service, truthfully and timely.
>>>

Colorado:
http://highered.colorado.gov/Finance/Residency/military.html

Good Luck

The NAVMED accessions office in Bethesda can provide a "Proof Of Service" document laying out what exactly your status is. That may work I lieu of orders.