Didn't get Accepted for 07 matriculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsaSpakalO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of something out of the ordinary that I could take part in to boost my application for 08 matriculation. Here is where I stand. I have a 3.85 GPA I have shadowed PCPs, Cardiologists, Intenal Medicine Physicians, and a neurologist. Alos, I have been a part of many many honor societies. My letter of Rec were great. The only bad part was that I got sick the day before the MCAT and scored low 20's. I was wondering if there is anything else that I could do in order to get into Medical school. Obviously, I know that I need my MCAT up, but is there anything else? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone knew of something out of the ordinary that I could take part in to boost my application for 08 matriculation. Here is where I stand. I have a 3.85 GPA I have shadowed PCPs, Cardiologists, Intenal Medicine Physicians, and a neurologist. Alos, I have been a part of many many honor societies. My letter of Rec were great. The only bad part was that I got sick the day before the MCAT and scored low 20's. I was wondering if there is anything else that I could do in order to get into Medical school. Obviously, I know that I need my MCAT up, but is there anything else? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I would look into post-bac programs...some give you the medical school experience

Sounds like a solid app, the MCAT was likely it. Study hard, and you be good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why anything else? all u have holding u back is ur mcat, just focus on that instead of putting effort in other places.

sometimes non-medical ECs are important, anything that you've done for an extended period of time that shows some sort of committment? Maybe something to make you stand out a bit like studying abroad, or being especially involved in a particular field... and of course, retake the MCAT, you're probably not clearing a lot of the cutoffs at schools. Oh, and apply EARLY and broadly... gL to you :)

You probably do not need to do anything except to improve the MCAT. Anything else is most likely an unnecessary use of your time that you could spend on the MCAT

maybe some research, and work with patients, instead of shadowing. different kind of medical volunteering.

I would look into post-bac programs...some give you the medical school experience
This is a bad idea IMHO. Sorry, but why waste money on coursework that you don't need with a 3.85 GPA. Obviously the OP wants to go to med school. Post-baccs or SMPs can be stressful and they only really help to bump up your GPA and show what you are made of for med school. Academically you have proven yourself and you don't need that kind of stress or debt.

1)Work in a lab or do some kind of interesting research. Doing something medical or related to the medical academics (research) does help show your continued interest, but not everyone wants to do taht in their year off. If you have unlimited funds go overseas and volunteer. If you want to do something crazy and feel you have ample clinical experience then go teach English somewhere or do something creative like that. Have fun, because you're going to med school for 2008.

2) Make sure there are no other deficits in your application. Make sure your desire to study medicine is clearly indicated in your personal statement. Make sure all clinical experiences are well-documented in the activities section, EVEN IF you listed it in the personal statement (my biggest mistake).

MCAT MCAT MCAT. nothing else matters...

Thanks Everyone. Those are very good suggestions. I forgot to mention that I do have published research so that is not an area that I feel needs improvement. I am retakeing the MCAT over the Summer, if I don't get into the summer programs I have applied to. So THANKS A LOT I really appreciate your help.

MsaSpakalO,

Other than retaking the MCAT, which I think you are already planning, I would go with what one other person said and try to find something different... non-medical is fine. Something that will make you stand out is best. For example, my "unique" factor was that I volunteer as a crisis intervention/suicide prevention hotline, and I have taken suicide calls. That helped me get in with a 29P (7V, 11PS, 11BS), 3.71 cum. GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you apply to a variety of schools, not just top rated places. Where did you apply for the 07 cycle?

Thanks Everyone. Those are very good suggestions. I forgot to mention that I do have published research so that is not an area that I feel needs improvement. I am retakeing the MCAT over the Summer, if I don't get into the summer programs I have applied to. So THANKS A LOT I really appreciate your help.

Nope, nope, nope. Retake the MCAT regardless of whether you get into the summer programs you applied to. In fact, lock yourself in your room all summer if that's what it's gonna take to get your score up.

The MCAT is your problem. Fix that problem before moving on to anything else. A summer program won't help one bit if your MCAT is in the low 20s.

with that sort of gpa and the really good ECs, i guess, you shouldn't be worrying about anything else. i've heard that getting published is the best thing you can do to yourself (besides the gpa and mcat)

but.. just a thought.. maybe you applied to very top rated schools and that is the reason for your not getting in. i have attended a couple of symposiums, and the officer always says, they first look at your stats, only if they like those numbers will they proceed to look towards your ECs.

but, i guess, your best bet would be to apply for a not-very-sought-after kind of school, it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad school (whoever heard of a bad med school in the US :D)

good luck!

+1000 to "bump the MCAT."

Forget about postbac work, more ECs, a sex change, meth manufacturing, whatever else. Just improve that MCAT, and you'll be sitting quite pretty.

What about contacting some of the schools and asking them for what needs improvement? Besides your MCAT, they may be able to give you other specific points you might have overlooked.

Bad idea. You don't need a post-bacc with your GPA as long as all of your pre-reqs are done. Just study hard for the MCAT

You're probably 8-10 points away from an acceptance- very manageable with no cough, and no head cold. Do something constructive in the year off so you don't look like a lazy ass. You're not very far away, and an extra year is nothing in our training. Apply broadly and you'll be singing a different tune in '08.

Depending on where you work now, you might want to try to get a job in an ER or on the floors as an aide. This will give you tons of patient contact and it shows committment to the schools. I did this and it helped tremendously.

it is just your mcat. contact schools maybe to review your app, but your mcat probably knocked you out. focus on mcat, do research if you have time

i think it's mostly your mcat.
gpa is good, extra currics seem okay.

aim for 30+ and u're in!

study hard and good luck!

i think it's mostly your mcat.
gpa is good, extra currics seem okay.

aim for 30+ and u're in!

study hard and good luck!

just a thought but if your gonna aim, might as well aim for a 45! :p