Didn't report IA, how to withdraw

Started by Cooked346
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cooked346

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an idiot. I have two IA's, my dean, who's one of my LOR writers told me they were expunged, I called my school only AFTER submitting my primary, they are apparently NOT expunged and then after learning this and creeping on SDN and reddit did I learn that even if they were expunged, I'd still have to report them. I submitted my primary already but obviously haven't gotten any secondaries yet. How do I withdraw my applications before schools send my secondaries, AMCAS won't let me right now for some reason, the withdraw button is greyed out, do I have to call the help center?
 
Don’t want to rub salt into a wound but I have personal experience in this matter. Be as up front as possible. Those things will haunt you. You’ll wonder at every stage if those skeletons are going to get pulled out of the closet. Medical school applications now, later residency applications, licensing, Medicaid participation. If it’s revealed that you were dishonest in apps, your degree can be rescinded.

I recently matched psych and got my license after disclosing my expunged felony on all applications.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don’t want to rub salt into a wound but I have personal experience in this matter. Be as up front as possible. Those things will haunt you. You’ll wonder at every stage if those skeletons are going to get pulled out of the closet. Medical school applications now, later residency applications, licensing, Medicaid participation. If it’s revealed that you were dishonest in apps, your degree can be rescinded.

I recently matched psych and got my license after disclosing my expunged felony on all applications.
Yeah that's why I was trying to rescind all applications, didn't mean to try and hide it, just didn't read the fine print, trying to rescind all applications this week
 
Would it be worth just emailing admissions and telling them what happened? @gyngyn
That won't fix it, necessarily.
If they get in with the amendment, it would work, but if they have to re-apply and there is discrepancy in reporting, an investigation (with a report to all schools) would ensue. It's not ideal.
 
That won't fix it, necessarily.
If they get in with the amendment, it would work, but if they have to re-apply and there is discrepancy in reporting, an investigation (with a report to all schools) would ensue. It's not ideal.
How would I make an amendment? I called the aamc help desk on Friday and they said I can't make any addendums post primary submission.
 
How would I make an amendment? I called the aamc help desk on Friday and they said I can't make any addendums post primary submission.
By amendment, I was referring to contacting each school to which you applied and inform them that you have IA's that were unfortunately not included in your primary application.
 
By amendment, I was referring to contacting each school to which you applied and inform them that you have IA's that were unfortunately not included in your primary application.
I guess my question is which is better, informing them this cycle after I've already messed it up or reapplying next year and having to explain the reapplication?
 
I guess my question is which is better, informing them this cycle after I've already messed it up or reapplying next year and having to explain the reapplication?
It's probably marginally better to continue this cycle with an explanation addressed to each school.
Hopefully these were trivial offenses.
 
Once you withdraw, you can't re-submit for the same cycle. If you want to continue applying this cycle, your best bet is to either include it in an update letter or in the "anything else" secondary essay.

If the offenses were trivial, it will lessen the impact. And you did forget, so you didn't exactly lie from a legal standpoint. But this is more so how adcoms will interpret the situation, so all bets are off.
 
Last edited: