Didn't get accepted into UW as a postbacc...now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out that I was denied admission into UW as a post-bacc student. I thought I was competitive (3.3 overall, 3.55 my last 2 years in business school), but I guess the adcom thought otherwise. I have a few options, but time is of the essence since spring quarter starts in two weeks. I can still take classes at UW through UW Extension (http://www.extension.washington.edu/ext/), or I can take classes at a community college for a couple of quarters and then try to reapply to UW. I was a business major and don't have any science courses completed, so I'm starting from scratch. Any advice on what I should do? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same boat with the UW. I had a degree in Economics from WWU and tried applying to the UW as a post-bac student which is apparently very competitive. After being denied, I opted to take all of my pre-requisites at Shoreline Community College and pulled off a 4.0, 20/20/25 on the DAT and have been accepted to two schools (NYU and UoP as an alternate... applied really late). Just be aware there are a few east coast schools that don't allow community college work (i.e Tufts). Additionally, I was denied at the UW probably because they want a lot of ECs so if you plan on applying there, start doing research and a ton of community service.

Getting in to UW as a postbac is all about your statement of purpose. My GPA was a little less than yours and I got in as a postbac. My D.H. degree could have been a factor but I really think it was my essay. I would focus on writing a great statement of purpose because when it come's time to apply to dental school you will already have one ready to go.

You can take classes at UW w/o matriculating but you have to be really proactive. Attend the first few days of class and try to get an add code. Biology is almost impossible. Chemistry is do-able but a spot might not open up until the second week. Physics is the easiest to get into and definately take the algebra-based version.

Also, you can get into any class summer quarter. Lots of non-matric postbacs take a full load in the summer and during the school year take what they can at UW while filling in other courses at Shoreline or BCC.

Are you volunteering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I haven't done any volunteer work since I just moved back to the States after working abroad for a number of years. I'm trying to figure out where to go to school first, and then get settled, shadow, volunteer, get a job, etc.

I was a business major and don't have any science courses completed, so I'm starting from scratch.

Did you mean you were denied entry into the post-bac or the dental school? If it's the former then, yes, that is quite unexpected that they denied you. I would go on to finish your pre-reqs at a 4-year in your area that is not as competitive than UW. GPA is always more important than school name. Get straight A's without stressing too much, rock the DAT, and you should be good to go.

Did you mean you were denied entry into the post-bac or the dental school? If it's the former then, yes, that is quite unexpected that they denied you. I would go on to finish your pre-reqs at a 4-year in your area that is not as competitive than UW. GPA is always more important than school name. Get straight A's without stressing too much, rock the DAT, and you should be good to go.

I applied as a post-bac student so I could go back and take all the dental school pre-reqs. I graduated from UW 6 years ago and thought I put together a pretty good statement, but I'm going to move on. Though I'd like to go to another 4 year in the Seattle area, the only other schools are Seattle U, Seattle Pacific, Evergreen, and some other private schools that cost at least 2x as much as UW. I think the best thing for me to do now is to take at least two quarters worth of classes at a community college (chem, bio, physics), get As, and then reapply to UW. At this point its too late/risky to try to get into some of the science courses without getting an add code from a professor.

Add codes aren't available to non-matric postbacs until the first day of class. I would still try. And yes it DOES matter where you get your prereqs. At least if you are hoping to go to UW dental school. Also, UW requires upper level biochem and micro which are not offered at community college.

Keep trying to get in as a post bac, trust me, it's worth it.

With budget cuts, UW is lowering the admission numbers of freshmen and transfers, so students who already have a degree tend to get last priority for acceptances. I know that they didn't accept a single person for spring quarter last year.

The non-matriculated path is a good way to go for some classes, including the biochem, physics and micro series. It just takes some extra work getting those signatures. As for anatomy and physiology (if required), bio, etc., I would take them at Bellevue College if you're not interested in applying to Tufts. Just make sure you're under the limit of community college credits, which you would be able to find out from one of doctoothache's spreadsheets. Although... is Bellevue College still considered a community college?

I know people tend to rag on community college but I was offered 5 interviews out of 9 schools applied to with all of my pre-reqs from a local community college. Additionally, I'd recommend Shoreline CC as my education there has been great (except for Physics which has been a joke but that's not too big of a deal). It's all over these boards, as long as you have a good reason for community college and are showing improvement I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. At my NYU interview my interviewer scoffed when I asked if my community college coursework would hurt me. In fact, at the UW, Kathy Craig responded to the same concern by letting me know that many students apply with community college courses on their transcripts. UoP didn't even bring it up and the UW interviewers tend to just scrutinize everything about you as a candidate so just have a good answer for all of your potentially negative attributes. I think I read on here awhile back that the real equalizer for non-traditional students is the DAT because it shows whether your courses are teaching the proper requirements for dental school. They just don't want you trying to take the easy way out but if you've explored all other avenues, you have a reason (let alone how near impossible it is to find student loans with a degree and when you aren't enrolled in a specific program. additionally, private loans are also a joke right now even with great credit).

Anyways, my advice: take courses at a community college and try and take the upper level ones at the UW as a non-matriculated if you can afford it. I couldn't so I ended up taking Micro, Bio, Chemistry I-III, Anatomy, Organic I-III, etc at Shoreline and Biochemistry through WSU online (actually a very detailed course... video taped lectures and proctored exams with high standards which satisfies the UW Dental School's pre-requisite). I had an interview at the UW but was ultimately denied as I have no research and not a ton of community service due to working full time for most of this process. I had interviews at UoP, UW, NYU, Western and Midwestern but turned Western and Midwestern down after an acceptance at NYU.

I was in exactly the same situation two years ago and read through all the hype and just chose to do it the only way that made sense to me and it worked. I hope this information helps you out some; this whole process is pretty stressful for non-traditional students trying to get back into school so feel free to PM if you have any questions about it.

Are you stuck on UW? Where else are you applying?

Are you stuck on UW? Where else are you applying?

I only applied to UW since it was where I went for my undergrad and I grew up in Seattle. I completed my job overseas last month and have been in Seattle for two weeks. I want to apply for dental school next year, but I think that will be impossible at this point if I try to take classes at any community college since the 100 level courses are usually offered in sequence, starting in the fall. If I can get add codes at UW, then applying next year won't be a problem at all. I'm really undecided on whether to try to take them at UW or just wait until the fall and start at Shoreline, Bellevue or North Seattle.

UW would be my first choice in terms of dental school, but I know that I'll need a lot of volunteer work, shadowing, and ECs. Thanks everyone, especially Davidius. I may send you a PM later, but it's encouraging to see that things worked out well for you.

well just do informal post-bacc on your own. You get to design your own schedule, attend semesters however you feel like. And if you got a fulltime job, you can easily work around it.

I was in your same position a couple of years ago, where I needed a lot of pre-reqs still and couldn't decide whether to do them as a non-matriculated student or at North Seattle Community College. I ended up taking almost everything at UW (except biology, which I couldnt get into) - it was kind of a hassle because you have to get a couple of signatures for every class, but I would just email the professor before school started and drop by their office. It was worth it to make the extra effort - at my UW interview they did ask why I hadn't taken biology at UW instead of the community college and I was thankful that I had a good answer for them. Admissions committees look much more favorably on UW class performance because they know the difficulty level. However, I will say that my biology classes at NSCC were awesome and prepared me well for the DAT!
Let me know if you have any questions - and don't give up too easily on UWSoD, it's a great school :)

Just thought I'd give an update:

BIOL180 is full and I won't even find out if I can get into the course until the end of this week.

CHEM142 is full and I need to go to the chemistry department to get approval tomorrow, but since the course is full and they don't overload, my chances are about nill.

I've found one community college in the entire Seattle area (Everett down to Tacoma) that has a spot available in chemistry, so hopefully I can get into that class tomorrow. I'm waitlisted (#3) for biology at Shoreline CC. If I can't get into any chem or bio course for spring quarter then I can forget about applying to dental school next year

I started my prereqs last summer and I'm applying in June. It can be done. Spend your free time over the next three months volunteering and shadowing since you'll have to do that anyway. Check on summer registration for UW. You'll probably get into everything then.
I wouldn't take bio at UW anyway. Some students at UW take bio at shoreline because it's easier. This looks pretty shady to the adcoms but since you're non-matric it wouldn't look that way on your transcripts.
Did you try Lake Washington? I know micro from there is accepted at UWSoD and you can petition to get around the prereqs.

I've looked into 15 different community colleges in the Seattle area, including Lake Washington and Renton Technical. I really want to take the pre-reqs at UW since it will probably give me the best chance at getting into DS, but after this experience with waiting and just praying that a slot opens, I think the community college route will be better. I can at least register for the courses at a CC, whereas UW is just luck of the draw. I'd like to take three courses at UW over the summer, but I'll be sure to have a backup plan at a CC just in case.

I am in the exact same position. I have a masters in Civil Engineering and UW Bothell plainly said neither they nor UW Seattle were accepting people with post grad degrees. I have spoke with UWSoD and Oregon thus far and they both got "uneasy" when I mentioned doing prereqs at a Comm College. The only alternative is spending ~$30k+ at a private school. I am frustrated big time!!

Do you think this is something schools say and don't really mean?? Judging by davidius' story, that seems it could be the case. I am so confused and getting discouraged. I really want to be a dentist, I just have to figure out how. HELP!

I think you'll find plenty of people on this board that have taken their pre-reqs at a community college and been accepted into DS. I was unable to get into any CC this quarter to take chem, so it looks like I'll only be able to take bio this quarter, which means I'll apply to DS in two years, not next year like I was hoping. With all my free time, I plan to work on my business (just moved back from overseas), volunteer, shadow, or do something else to help my application.

Keep applying as a post-bac. The economy is tough right now but a slot may open up. To get into a chem class keep going in person to the deptarment and asking if a spot has opened up. I think the person to talk to's name is Jennifer. If you need to write an email to her describing why you need these classes (because of your passion for dentistry) and how UW isn't taking post-bacs right now. You're going to come off as annoying but so what! The squeaky wheel get the grease!

Last quarter my friend who was non-matric got into CHEM 162 on the last day of the add period because she went in in person and found out that some paperwork hadn't made it over from admissions. Her paperwork was one of thirty in the stack but she got the only open slot because she discovered the mishap.

If the admins who sign you into classes get to know you by name they will help you out.

But, you guys, none of this matters if you aren't getting experience in the field. You should go to the convention in June and walk around the exhibit hall. There are lots of booths for non-profits that need volunteers. It's one-stop shopping.

Which convention are you talking about? Is it held at UW?

Last edited: