Didn't get in to a PhD/DO. How do I add the PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GransforsBruk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience or knowledge if there are accelerated programs towards PhD for M.D./D.O students once I've graduated? Or any other comments? Or is it basically I need to ride the whole way through?

Members don't see this ad.

This is fairly uncommon. You should contact your school's MSTP director to check if this is an option. May I ask why do you want to get a PhD after your MD/DO? You do know that you can do research without the PhD, right? When you become an attending, if you spend 80% in clinical, that PhD won't be worth it -- I paraphrased that line from a MD/PhD attending.

Reactions: 1 users
This is fairly uncommon. You should contact your school's MSTP director to check if this is an option. May I ask why do you want to get a PhD after your MD/DO? You do know that you can do research without the PhD, right? When you become an attending, if you spend 80% in clinical, that PhD won't be worth it -- I paraphrased that line from a MD/PhD attending.

Just being pedantic here: DO PhD isn't MSTP, that's an NIH funded program only provided to certain MD schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any experience or knowledge if there are accelerated programs towards PhD for M.D./D.O students once I've graduated? Or any other comments? Or is it basically I need to ride the whole way through?

Take the year off, do more research to get more pubs and posters under your belt, retake the MCAT, and reapply this time adding MD/PhD programs.

If you apply MD or DO only, you won't have enough time to get a PhD during residency even if you're lucky enough to get T32 protected research time during your residency.

If you'd like more accurate and informed responses. I can move your thread to the Physician Scientist forum.

There are no real legitimate accelerated PhD programs for physicians. That being said there are plenty of research fellowships in many specialties for you to do to essentially compensate for a lack of a PhD.

At my grad school, the PhD part for the MD/PhD part was ~ 3 years (sandwiched between M1/M2 and M3/M4). The PhD earned by our med students was more like a glorified MS degree.

I once dated a woman who got her MD/PhD at Baylor. Now there, your PhD is a just like a typical PhD...meaning it will take some 5 years to earn!

There are no real legitimate accelerated PhD programs for physicians. That being said there are plenty of research fellowships in many specialties for you to do to essentially compensate for a lack of a PhD.

At my grad school, the PhD part for the MD/PhD part was ~ 3 years (sandwiched between M1/M2 and M3/M4). The PhD earned by our med students was more like a glorified MS degree.

I once dated a woman who got her MD/PhD at Baylor. Now there, your PhD is a just like a typical PhD...meaning it will take some 5 years to earn!

I meant more like that there probably isn't a program that's like a PhD for med students after they finish medicals school.

Don't waste your time with a PhD. Do a research fellowship after your residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I have colleagues doing very "benchy" research without PhDs. Most do have MSCIs- you could consider doing that during residency or fellowship.

One of the doctors I've worked with is doing a research fellowship after doing residency in internal med.The program is an extremely competitive one at a top 10 MD school, but it seems like my doctor friend will have his PhD at the end of his 3rd year.

Work hard and good luck man! But I thnk a DO/PhD is already going down a hard road since most DO schools aren't really associated with a strong phd program to begin with.