Didn't get job after 2 years of internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just wanted to talk for a bit cause i'm a bit unhappy. I was working for every holiday/summer for two years at this place and they had an opening just as I graduated. Everyone I worked with said, oh you'll get the job blahblabh. and I know that there is never a guarantee to get the job but two other interns few years back also got the job immediately . The manager asked me the summer prior if i was interested and they even asked me to send in my resume and everything in the Fall, in the winter and again, in the summer. I interviewed and two weeks later i got an automated email stating i was considered but not picked. Idk, i'm a bit upset about this and i guess, at the very least, they should write a more personalized email?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear your story but I think it doesn't matter you are interned over there or not, doesn't matter how good you are either. it s just they like you or not. And it's very subjective.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to talk for a bit cause i'm a bit unhappy. I was working for every holiday/summer for two years at this place and they had an opening just as I graduated. Everyone I worked with said, oh you'll get the job blahblabh. and I know that there is never a guarantee to get the job but two other interns few years back also got the job immediately . The manager asked me the summer prior if i was interested and they even asked me to send in my resume and everything in the Fall, in the winter and again, in the summer. I interviewed and two weeks later i got an automated email stating i was considered but not picked. Idk, i'm a bit upset about this and i guess, at the very least, they should write a more personalized email?

The hospital I interned at throughout pharmacy school recently had two full-time pharmacist openings, and two interns that graduated last year applied. Both great, more than competent, well-liked employees. Both denied in favor of two other people that applied from the outside.

Kind of a slap in the face, but there are no guarantees anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
i interned at a hospital for 4 yrs (3000+ hours in total) woke up before 5am before every shift (6am - 2:30pm)...didnt even get a per-diem position. other students from the past few yrs werent able to get full time as well. no loyalty these days. it was a blessing, really. because i hated being in a hospital...

Or it could be the fact that they were more qualified than a new grad.

i interned at a hospital for 4 yrs (3000+ hours in total) woke up before 5am before every shift (6am - 2:30pm)...didnt even get a per-diem position. other students from the past few yrs werent able to get full time as well. no loyalty these days. it was a blessing, really. because i hated being in a hospital...

I suspect it has little to do with loyalty, and a lot to do with the financials. With the economy this way, stock market netted almost no gains over the last 10 years, few new openings are being created and existing employees are working instead of retiring. Don't take it personally, force yourself to adapt instead of expecting others to give you a share. A smart rabbit digs 3 entrances to their den.

Last edited:
I mean there's not much I can do about it but I really liked that job and everyone keeps giving me high hopes about it, which kinda makes it worse. Now i'm kinda fumbling with what I should do. I don't have alot of experience elsewhere. I know first thing first is to get my Naplex and law done but after that, i have no idea. FYI: i'm in ny where saturation is bad. I want to go into something more MTM but i probably don't have enough experience at all. At the same time, I heard that once your in retail, your pretty much stuck.

I mean there's not much I can do about it but I really liked that job and everyone keeps giving me high hopes about it, which kinda makes it worse. Now i'm kinda fumbling with what I should do. I don't have alot of experience elsewhere. I know first thing first is to get my Naplex and law done but after that, i have no idea. FYI: i'm in ny where saturation is bad. I want to go into something more MTM but i probably don't have enough experience at all. At the same time, I heard that once your in retail, your pretty much stuck.

there is still much within your control. Lamenting that NY is saturation doesn't do you any good, and it's too late for you to make up for not keeping couple of different internships during school. But what you can do is still broaden your geographic search areas, residency options, float, PRN, etc, put up with short term discomfort for long term career goals. Things don't always pan out like people planned, but that's why you put backup and contingency plans in place, preferably before those possibilities.

I appreciate the suggestions. I know i should consider my future, but my parents is very cultural and won't even let me move out or get an apartment because they think its a waste of money ect. Therefore I'm trying to search around NY. Lol, even the suggestion of moving out exploded into a fight >.>

Oh, btw. one pharmacist told me more opportunities down in the south region, since your from Texas ( i think based on your locations), do you think or see more opportunities towards the southern states or just people need to look harder in general.

Dont give up just yet. I would keep on trying to get that job. It is a tough market out there so you have to be aggressive. You don't have anything to lose at this point.

I appreciate the suggestions. I know i should consider my future, but my parents is very cultural and won't even let me move out or get an apartment because they think its a waste of money ect. Therefore I'm trying to search around NY. Lol, even the suggestion of moving out exploded into a fight >.>

Oh, btw. one pharmacist told me more opportunities down in the south region, since your from Texas ( i think based on your locations), do you think or see more opportunities towards the southern states or just people need to look harder in general.

Unless your parents are paying for your debt then I think the decision is no longer in their hands.

Texas is probably doing better than most states. Until recently it was still relatively easy to find jobs in major metros. However more and more new grads are having to move to smaller towns or along the borders.

Your parents will not always be around and you can't marry your parents, so...

where in NY are you from? I know a retail company that is hiring in west chester county. they just emailed me last week for an interview but im out of the tri state area.

I sent you a PM. Thanks! Are you moving to the tristate area, if you don't mind me asking.

Automated email from HR?

Having been on the receiving end and on the other side of the hiring process, this is likely what happened:

1) No one actually promised you anything, your co-workers probably do not have an intimate knowledge of the candidates coming in the door or the hiring process. All they see is their work and your work, and they like you, of course they'll say you're a shoo-in.

2) Your manager didn't promise you anything, he just asked if you were interested and you turned in your resume. No promises.

3) You got upstaged in the hiring process by a very hungry and already licensed PGY1/2 grad or a multi-year experienced pharmacist. You brought a knife to a gun fight.

4) Automated emails without explanation are the norm in order to avoid opening up an institution to liability. Frustrating, yes...so try to find out why you got rejected through back channels.

Let me guess, youre going to date someone for four years and think that you guys are built for the long haul because you made it that long?

Clearly you spent your two years impressing the wrong people. Instead of your boss, you should of been trying to impress their boss. A few people in my class (and they were good students and employees) fell into this same pit fall. Lesson learned, either move on or start figuring out where you went wrong and fix it.

This kind of thing is not uncommon. I currently intern at a chain retail and have been there since pre-pharmacy years (so 5+ years now). I have no delusions about a guaranteed job after graduation (next May). I know my pharmacy manager would give me a glowing recommendation but the DM is the one that matters. So I definitely agree with samuricool above.

In 2012 we had two interns graduate, one was given a part time position and the DM passed on the other one (however she fought hard for a job and a different district in the chain did take her). In 2013 we had one intern graduate who was only given part time (24hrs/week guaranteed) floating position. Next year when it's my turn, I can only cross my fingers and hope for the same...

You guys need to realize that companies aren't expected to have loyalty to their employees. Their loyalty lies with the stockholders and if firing that very loyal intern who lives and breathes your company translates into an increase in stock price, start packing your bags buddy. I knew a chick that worked for a grocery store chain for 9 years (high school as a cashier, tech, and intern). Really good employee but no district wanted to hire her.

Let me guess, youre going to date someone for four years and think that you guys are built for the long haul because you made it that long?

Clearly you spent your two years impressing the wrong people. Instead of your boss, you should of been trying to impress their boss. A few people in my class (and they were good students and employees) fell into this same pit fall. Lesson learned, either move on or start figuring out where you went wrong and fix it.

This exactly. I would also like to add that I went to school in Ohio where the saturation is also bad. I worked as a tech for 1.5 years before pharmacy school and was an intern all through 4 years of pharm school, working probably average of 25-30 hours a week. Didn't get a job with them. Ended up getting a job for an entirely different chain altogether in which I didn't even have any connections but it happened to be in the location they needed someone. In this economy, thems the breaks. OP just work on getting licensed and keep looking for jobs...you'll be fine.