Didn't Match into Cardiac Fellowship.....Thoughts and Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think having a year of clinical practice before fellowship is a plus because modern fellowships have months out of the OR for other rotations such as TEE or ICU. In addition working for a living gives fellows a different mind set.

I think having a year of clinical practice before fellowship is a plus because modern fellowships have months out of the OR for other rotations such as TEE or ICU. In addition working for a living gives fellows a different mind set.
Working for a living.... Is that somehow NOT what I'm doing right now as a resident?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Working for a living.... Is that somehow NOT what I'm doing right now as a resident?
I should have chose my words better. The level of growth and maturity in the first few years of practice is exponential. The level of responsibility of being in practice is also greater. Suffice to say that occasionally excellent residents falter in the transition to practice when the buck stops with them and the crutch of a supervising attending is no longer there. Fellowship shouldn't be a remediation for those who fail to make a smooth transition to practice. However, those who transitioned to practice very well and have a year or 2 under their belt get more out of their fellowship than those with no practice experience.

Reactions: 1 users