Didn't Match Into Psychiatry. Taking a gap year. Looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThanksForTheAdvice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a US Allopathic Med Student. Step 1/2: 224/221. Passed CS on first attempt. Not great grades. Active CV. Did research, volunteered, some leadership, etc. I interviewed at 10 places, and I didn't match. All I've ever wanted to be for the the past 5 years was a psychiatrist, and I didn't want to SOAP into another field. My dean suggested that I delay my graduation and take a gap year, so I'm planning on doing research, taking step 3, doing some in-depth volunteerism, and doing an away rotation or two. Obviously, I'm going to apply to way more places and do some mock interviews.

I contacted the PDs for some of the programs that I didn't match into. Overall, they said there were some tweaks I could've made during interviews but no major red flags. It seems like I'm just unremarkable and didn't apply broadly enough.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some feedback on my plan for this year. If there are some more actionable steps I could take, I would love to hear them. Any advice will help.

Boy, had I known Psychiatry would've been competitive 3 years ago, I would've done a lot of medical school differently, but hindsight is 20/20.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You are doing the best you can with the cards you were dealt. I am terrified for the match next year.

Are we now at the point where we have to be "unique" to match psych?
I think it's more like you have to give people a reason to rank you in their top (number of spots x 4ish) other than "no red flags, meh grades, not a complete bum in terms of extracurriculars."

The "unique" thing has always been part of the very top residencies of any specialty but only because that cohort has everything else covered.

Hello,
I'm a US Allopathic Med Student. Step 1/2: 224/221. Passed CS on first attempt. Not great grades. Active CV. Did research, volunteered, some leadership, etc. I interviewed at 10 places, and I didn't match. All I've ever wanted to be for the the past 5 years was a psychiatrist, and I didn't want to SOAP into another field. My dean suggested that I delay my graduation and take a gap year, so I'm planning on doing research, taking step 3, doing some in-depth volunteerism, and doing an away rotation or two. Obviously, I'm going to apply to way more places and do some mock interviews.

I contacted the PDs for some of the programs that I didn't match into. Overall, they said there were some tweaks I could've made during interviews but no major red flags. It seems like I'm just unremarkable and didn't apply broadly enough.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some feedback on my plan for this year. If there are some more actionable steps I could take, I would love to hear them. Any advice will help.

Boy, had I known Psychiatry would've been competitive 3 years ago, I would've done a lot of medical school differently, but hindsight is 20/20.

Thanks.

You don't want to try and find a prelim IM year or TY year? That way you'll still get paid, get clinical experience. This may be better than doing a research year and volunteering. I've seen lots of people transfer into psych after doing a year of IM/FM and most will still graduate on time after 4 years, or at worst 4.5 years (since 6 months of PGY 1 year in psych is IM/neuro/EM anyway). Just my thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your away rotations will be key. Instead of just doing general things to make an app better, your best friend is going to be connections. Hone on a specific program or two that you have a likely chance of matching at, and invest your time heavily at those places. The problem isn't just that Psychiatry is getting too competitive (which it's not), it's just that when these other programs do have students making connections, the PD's are more likely to rank them vs. an unknown applicant who looks better on paper.

You had 10 interviews....so clearly you are a competitive/strong applicant on paper. So I think you should focus on improving interviewing?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am sorry that you didn't match, that really sucks. It's probably way too late now, but I would also recommend doing an transitional year/clinical year/intern year and apply to second year psych spots, it is much less competitive, and you get to graduate on time. But, if you are taking a gap year, psych related activities/research is obviously good, but you do not have to only do those, doing activities that show you truly care about the lives of others goes a long way, something you feel proud of, something you can gush about on interviews, passion and commitment to the betterment of others are very important traits for a psychiatrist (or any doctor for that matter).

Reactions: 1 user
If I was you, I would still look for open TY or Prelim positions. Some grads cannot start their residency due to not passing CS, visas, etc. To find these spots, email every TY or prelim program sometime late April when CS scores come out. You can email program coordinators. Ask if they have open spots and list your step scores. If they are interested, send your whole eras application. You will have to get your letter writers to send you the letters they wrote for you. Get your transcripts, Step scores, personal statement, Deans letter, etc. And make one big Adobe document that is basically your application. Their email address can be found on program accreditation acgme website. Trust me, a prelim spot will open up. Take it, do well, and then apply next year for PGY-2 psych spot.

For you application to reiterate, you need ERAS application, 3 letters or Rec, Transcripts, Dean's letter, Personal Statement, and Step Scores from Fsmb I believe. If you are serious about finding a prelim spot it can be done. It will really depend on your hustle. I know a lot of people who succeeded in doing this.

Work on your "story" as to why psych. Make it compelling, and find another way of telling it in person, which will enhance your interview.

I can tell you that I matched by the skin of my teeth in 2016. My steps were worse than yours, my grades were also average at best, minimal research and leadership on my CV, and I only got 7 interviews. All this was not for lack of trying hard in med school, it was just hard for me. I'm an awful test taker and competing with such athletic classmates was no cakewalk. I matched into my last choice, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I am happy where I am and realize in hindsight that my first choice should definitely not have been my first choice. To think I was actually upset on match day for having gotten my last choice...I want to go back in time and slap myself across the face.

Psychiatry is getting more competitive, no two ways about it. But you seem like you were a stronger applicant than I was. Push hard and you can make it.

Reactions: 1 users