Didn't match - next cycle psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fcd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied radiology this year, and didn't match, despite going on 10 interviews (which in hindsight, was nowhere near enough). But after the interview/elective/audition rotation process, I think I'm better suited for psych, which was my other top choice during third year. The problem is, I went all-in for radiology and only have my 3rd year psych rotation as experience (which I did well in). I'm doing a prelim starting in June, but am worried that I won't be competitive for psych since many of my experiences are geared toward radiology. How can I convey to program directors that I'm interested and committed, and what experiences may they be looking for as I'm applying over the next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Start publishing on topics that connect psychiatry and radiology. Tell them your calling changed. Do clinical experiences asap

I applied radiology this year, and didn't match, despite going on 10 interviews (which in hindsight, was nowhere near enough). But after the interview/elective/audition rotation process, I think I'm better suited for psych, which was my other top choice during third year. The problem is, I went all-in for radiology and only have my 3rd year psych rotation as experience (which I did well in). I'm doing a prelim starting in June, but am worried that I won't be competitive for psych since many of my experiences are geared toward radiology. How can I convey to program directors that I'm interested and committed, and what experiences may they be looking for as I'm applying over the next year?

I wouldn’t worry about publishing... what I would do is become good friends with the program you’re currently in, demonstrate excellence on a rotation in psych, get yourself some good LORs, and apply broadly next year. Depending on your application, your scores (I’m guessing) are competitive. Recommendations from psychiatrists and evidence of interest will be enough....

This is all with the caveat that you were a stellar resident that was not lucky this go round. If you have red flags, then you’re going to need to address them.

I stand by the importance of publishing in your case. It will help you get into a better quality program and it will address your concerns of having heavy radiology experiences. If you can make your CV better, why not?