Current PGY1 still desiring to do Psych. Didn't match this year or last into Psych. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021acc117

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a current PGY1 IM resident. While I have a position currently, I still feel disappointed about not being able to be in a Psychiatry residency. I couldn't match this year or last year and I am wondering what should I do to get into a Psychiatry residency? I don't really have a passion for IM, while I am doing okay in residency.

Is it pretty much over in terms of doing psych or is there still hope for something? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would keep an eye out on open PGY2 spots. There usually are some. I know some programs will keep an open spot to bring on a PGY2. When I had interviewed at UTHSCA years ago they did that.

Apply to pgy2 open spots. It's super common for people to transition in from medicine since most of pgy1 year in psych is basic Inpt psych, medicine and neuro reqs anyway. You'll likely even graduate on time

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to pgy2 open spots. It's super common for people to transition in from medicine since most of pgy1 year in psych is basic Inpt psych, medicine and neuro reqs anyway. You'll likely even graduate on time
where can i find those

Hi all, I am a current PGY1 IM resident. While I have a position currently, I still feel disappointed about not being able to be in a Psychiatry residency. I couldn't match this year or last year and I am wondering what should I do to get into a Psychiatry residency? I don't really have a passion for IM, while I am doing okay in residency.

Is it pretty much over in terms of doing psych or is there still hope for something? Thanks.
first try open PGY-1 and PGY-2 positions, you can email programs for open positions (I would try it now and also around July). In the meantime, try to find psychiatry related jobs and get good recommendation letters (clinical research where you can see patients, or medical jobs)

The big thing is to figure out "why" you didn't match two cycles in a row. Do you have a local psych program either under the same GME umbrella or nearby? Psych faculty from med school you've maintained a relationship with?

You had a good letter of support from your current PD?

What do you think is causing you not to match psych? Is there specific deficits that caused you not to match into it?

I have known people who accepted CAP fellowship after the prelim/categorical PGY-1 year in programs that have a 100% track record of absorbing their fellows into their residency programs, that is another route worth considering if you are OK spending 5 years in a not-so-great city.

It happens but you have to research and try to find open spots. Word of mouth. Some programs have open 2nd year spots. Google. Cold call all the programs. Hustle hard if you want it. First you might want to figure out why you did not match