Didn't match-Please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellygreen2001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, I found out today I didn't match into derm:(:(:(I had applied to Internal med as a back up so I received an email on Monday that said I matched but I wasn't sure in which speciality till today. I was really hoping to get into derm of course and I thought my interviews went well but unfortunately didn't match into my derm choices. I had originally planned that I would reapply after completing my IM residency and now I am thinking that I want to apply again this year in Sept. Is that allowed? I know I would have to wait another year after that to start, but can you leave an IM residency after 2 years. How understanding do you think my IM residency program director would be if I told her that I wanted to reapply to derm this year. It is in not that ordinary for residents to changes specialities after their first year is it? Any advice would be appreciated and congratulations to all those who matched:)
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jellygreen2001:

First of all, I'm so sorry it didn't work out with the match. Believe me, I understand... that was me 2 years ago. It sucks. Nothing anyone says can make you feel better, and you didn't deserve it. It's also not personal - either you got the short end of the stick, or probably just that you didn't have strong enough connections (you really really have to KNOW people in the field. at least that's what I think now.) Just please know that you are NOT alone - there are so many more people in your shoes than you realize right now. Truly.

Here's what you need to think hard about over the next year... are you still 100% passionate about dermatology? Do you love it enough to extend your training 1-2 more years, and train in a less than desireable location, and can you really go through the process of applying/interviewing/match week again? Lots of people get into internal med and realize they like it, they're great at it, and they could be fulfilled with that career - if that's you, I say go for it! I was considering this myself, but I couldn't get derm out of my mind... I decided I had it in me to go at least one more try.

Personally, I wasn't ready to reapply in my intern year. I was still kinda bitter, and didn't feel like I'd have anything new to add to my application. So I waited until I was in a clinical research fellowship and had new stuff to talk about. I felt more confident about my chances in this situation, but I've also heard about people getting in right away during intern year without any changes to their app.... good for them, but I would've been nervous about that.

Hopefully you're in an internal med program that will be supportive of YOU, and of what you really desire career-wise, over their own interests in having you as a resident. Because you're going to be a stellar i-med resident, and they're going to want to keep you. I would talk to the program director and let them know what you're thinking about. Tell them you still might want to do derm, see if you can get an elective set up or something. I wasn't in your situation so it's hard to advise you, but I was in a program my intern year that was very supportive... they altered the schedule so I would be able to take time off for interviews if I decided to reapply right away. They also said they would help me out any way they could - and my PD ended up writing a kick-ass letter of recommendation when I did reapply to derm.

You also won't be the first resident to want to switch career plans... it happens a lot, more than you know. I've met Urology residents who switch to Derm, ENT residents who switch to Pathology, Psych residents who switch to Surgery. It happens! For the most part, I think residency programs want to have residents who are happy to be there, and if you really aren't in it 100%, they should realize it's in their favor to support your switch and gain someone else who really DOES want it 100%.

I know I'm not exactly answering your question... but I don't think you should despair. I really believe that if you persist long enough, showing dedication to the field, you will eventually succeed. It's just a question of how much of your life you're willing to spend in the quest to get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my programs dermies is board certified in IM. Completing your IM then reapplying is an option. You'd be Med/Derm. :)

Didn't he or she run into funding problems? Did he or she do one of those clinical research fellowships after finishing IM residency and then apply?

SkinNerd

It's great that your PD was supportive and that it all worked out for you. Congrads.

But I'm confused. When you interview for that spot you tell them you want to be there. Then once you get in you tell them that actually, you want to switch to derm. They are spending time training you. Why and how come would they be cool and supportive about that (other than the argument that they want happy residents)? It's almost like you cheat them.
Oh and I dont mean "you", I mean anyone in that position. Perhpas me in a couple of years..

Please help me understand how this can work.