Didn't match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I unfortunately didn't match this cycle and failed to find anything in the SOAP. IM prelim and surg prelim went very quickly. I am an osteopathic student so wondering what the best route would be going forward. I have applied to TY positions and some IM programs in hopes of reapplying next year. From searches on here I have seen people extend medical school or doing research for a year. Can anyone that has failed to match and reapplied or switched into anesthesia give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for response. Do you think I will find funding issues with DO residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. A TRI is a one year stand alone program. The funding clock won't start until you match to a full residency.

Are you willing to tell us what you think may have kept you from matching? I'll be applying as a DO this year

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't apply as broadly as I should have.

Anybody have any experience with setting up away rotations during TRI year?

Just wondering if you apply to programs via vsas or cold calling.

It may not seem like it now, DOaz, but NOT matching into an anesthesiology residency may be the best thing that has ever happened to you. Trust me - anesthesia is the pits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh, I deal with it. My life outside of medicine sustains me; I'm a work to live and not a live to work kinda guy. Don't worry, Pooh....you'll hate it soon enough. I'm guessing you've been in practice < 10 years, right?

It may be, but I think it would make me the happiest.

It may not seem like it now, DOaz, but NOT matching into an anesthesiology residency may be the best thing that has ever happened to you. Trust me - anesthesia is the pits.
If you hate anesthesiology so much, why don't you do something else? Are all the "haters" stuck in the field? Life is too short to be complaining all the time.

If you hate anesthesiology so much, why don't you do something else? Are all the "haters" stuck in the field? Life is too short to be complaining all the time.

I don't hate my job. After a few long weeks (55-60 hours per week) a day off is really nice though. The patients keep getting sicker and CMS keeps piling the red tape.
Like many I do look forward to the day when I cut back to 1/2 time.

Like what, jackas_s?! Pursue the impossible dream of making a killing in the stock market? I-banking? I don't complain all the time, just on SDN. It make me feel better and I'll do it until they boot me off SDN so deal with it. Suggestion - put me on your "ignore" list.

Reactions: 1 users
Like what, jackas_s?! Pursue the impossible dream of making a killing in the stock market? I-banking? I don't complain all the time, just on SDN. It make me feel better and I'll do it until they boot me off SDN so deal with it. Suggestion - put me on your "ignore" list.
Lmao +1

I for one appreciate all the "complaining" the attendings do. It helps me narrow down my specialty for the future and at least I'll know what I'm getting myself into.

Lmao +1

I for one appreciate all the "complaining" the attendings do. It helps me narrow down my specialty for the future and at least I'll know what I'm getting myself into.

All my Physician friends "bitch" about their jobs. Cards, Rads, Neurosurgery, Cardiac Surgery, Ortho, etc everyone has something to complain about. The ironic thing is the LOWER The pay the less bitching I usually hear probably because of less stress.

Reactions: 3 users
Calm down. What you're doing is WAY different from complaining. You're telling this poor dude that not having an anesthesiology career could be the best thing that happened. You seem like a guy that isn't suited to do anything else. And a big tool as well.

He is telling Doaz that, since life gave him/her lemons, s/he should make lemonade.

Would you suggest doing a 2 week or a 4 week rotation? I realize that 4 weeks is probably preferred, but I am worried about using all of my elective time at one facility.

Last edited:
As much time as you can. In 2 weeks they won't even know you're there; 4 weeks they will just start to notice you.

Lol. There he is. The internet tough guy is at it again. Gotta get it out of his system somehow, right?

At least you gave some real advice in your last post, I do agree nobody will notice you if you only stay for two weeks in response to DOaz.

Lol. There he is. The internet tough guy is at it again. Gotta get it out of his system somehow, right?

At least you gave some real advice in your last post, I do agree nobody will notice you if you only stay for two weeks in response to DOaz.

good god get over it. 90% of your posts are consig directed angst. I've never seen someone get so far under someone's skin on the internet.

good god get over it. 90% of your posts are consig directed angst. I've never seen someone get so far under someone's skin on the internet.

Lol umadbro? Evidently you are since you took the time to look me up. Apparently I'm under your skin. I just enjoy watching him ignore my shutdowns his bravado-inspired statements. Like he said, if you don't like it, you can ignore me. You can get over it buddy, I believe in you.