didn't match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevlar22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was an applicant the past cycle and didn't match. Wanted to hear from the forum about my app and game plan.

Step 1: 240, CK:253, CS: Pass
MS3 grades: Honors in IM and OBGYN, High pass in peds, neuro, gen surg, and psych, no AOA
LOR: 1 from my ophtho research PI, 1 from chairman, 1 from medicine (retrospect, may not have been smart)
Mid-tier school in northeast
Research: at time of application - 2 pubs (not in ophtho), 3 posters (ophtho), 2 pending manuscripts (ophtho). Currently have 2 more manuscripts pending for a total of 4. Also currently jumping onto more research projects
Interview invites: Applied to 86 places, received 13 invites, but only able to go on 10 due to scheduling conflicts

I thought interviews went well, receiving good feedback from interviews, made my match list with my advisor to cover my bases. I just can't believe this happened. Some time has passed and it gets a little better everyday, but I'm just trying to move forward.

Currently in the works of getting more research with my school and getting ready for the upcoming app cycle. Will not be graduating. Wanted to ask about my plan to do a research year, strengthening relationships with my home program and research advisors, and praying to God

Also thoughts on applying to a backup specialty? Was thinking of IM

Thanks for reading

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats is excellent, and everything else looks good. If you are 100% sure that you interviewed well (including both how you answered the question and eye contact/body language), can you make a guess of any other hidden weakness? Like one of your letters could come from somebody who didn't like you that much - I heard of horror stories in the past regarding letters of "non-recommendation."
Maybe set up meeting with each of your letter writers and ask them for their opinion, you might have an idea... but otherwise, try to have more research and work on your interview skills. You will likely get around the same number of invites and this time make every one of them count!

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats is excellent, and everything else looks good. If you are 100% sure that you interviewed well (including both how you answered the question and eye contact/body language), can you make a guess of any other hidden weakness? Like one of your letters could come from somebody who didn't like you that much - I heard of horror stories in the past regarding letters of "non-recommendation."
Maybe set up meeting with each of your letter writers and ask them for their opinion, you might have an idea... but otherwise, try to have more research and work on your interview skills. You will likely get around the same number of invites and this time make every one of them count!

So I know my letters were strong, so that I don't think that'll be it.

I actually met with one of my letter writers a couple hours ago, where he said that I should re-apply and that some of the feedback that he got from me was that I was good, but at times came off too intense. So that's probably what burned me. Also meeting with 2 other letter writers in a couple weeks, so will be able to get more concrete feedback.

I agree with you, working on my interviewing skills will be a top priority for the rest of the year. Do you think I can potentially match next time around? I really don't want to go through the pain of not matching again...but I'm willing to give it my all, because I love ophthalmology and want to try one more time.

Members don't see this ad :)
elementals (an SDN member) had the same issue in the past. His stats was incredible and he got amazing interview invites, but the actual interviews didn't go all that well. He identified his weakness correctly and was able to match the 2nd time around. You can contact him for extra tips and advice, but otherwise you will likely match if you know what to work on to prepare for the next cycle!

I'm really sorry to hear that man. I feel I personally sometimes don't do that well at interviewing specifically. You got more than the average # of interviews per matched application (i.e. 12) so I'd personally believe it may be something in that area.

I really hope you kill it next time man!

May I ask what happens to the pre-lim match? You said you'd be doing a year of research at school but isn't it binding?

elementals (an SDN member) had the same issue in the past. His stats was incredible and he got amazing interview invites, but the actual interviews didn't go all that well. He identified his weakness correctly and was able to match the 2nd time around. You can contact him for extra tips and advice, but otherwise you will likely match if you know what to work on to prepare for the next cycle!
I've tried contacting elementals, however they haven't responded. Thank you for the encouragement

@shadid already pulled out of the main match. It's binding if i were to match to prelim year

Really sorry to hear about this. I also did not match into ophtho my first go. It felt like the world had collapsed, but hang in there. I opted to do the prelim IM year at a cushy program, continued to improve my app during my post-did-not-match phase and intern year. Reapplied and got lucky and matched.

Your stats and pubs are supreme. If I were you I would gently probe the programs you interviewed at (and maybe ask your advisors to do this) and get honest feedback on what happened and how you can improve. I would continue the research in whatever form (research fellowship, etc.) and address the items from feedback you receive. My guess is that it probably is the interview. You may not realize it, but others can pick up on it. Feel free to PM me for a lengthier discussion.

I've tried contacting elementals, however they haven't responded. Thank you for the encouragement

@shadid already pulled out of the main match. It's binding if i were to match to prelim year

I guess it's too late for this debate, but I would argue that it may be to your advantage to complete the prelim year. If any vacancies open up for PGY2 training (which do pop up every year) you'll be a rare applicant ready to fill in the spot. Given your pre-existing credentials you probably would be a shoe-in compared to people looking to switch their specialty.

I am so sorry to learn that you did not land a spot this year. You have excellent credentials, and with your commitment and a little bit of both sound planning and luck, you will certainly make it. Have you thought about a year off doing research or possibly a pre-residency fellowship in path? The ophthalmic pathology fellowship in Bascom Palmer for example has a track record of helping individuals like yourself with excellent stats but hard luck on the match achieve their goal and land a spot in the subsequent year.

@hello lady! So I did contemplate doing prelim year, however I was against because I was advised by my school that it would be more advantageous to apply as a US senior, rather than a US MD graduate. I do understand that spots do open up during the year, but I still feel like I would still be entering the next application cycle anyways.

@Fascia Lata I have considered pre-residency fellowships and applied to Utah, however did not receive it. I was considering the ophthalmic pathology fellowship in Bascom Palmer, however due to personal and financial constraints, I won't be able to, so I'm trying to make the most of my research year by doing research at my home institution and nearby institutions. Hopefully this can strengthen my relationship with my home program and in the process, be more productive in terms of publications. How does my plan sound so far? After all this happening, it's really made me reflect and second-guess myself a lot in terms of the decisions that have lead up to this point.

Thank you for the kind words, and I hope so too.

Feel free to PM me if those who did not match need some guidance. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
@Fascia Lata I have considered pre-residency fellowships and applied to Utah, however did not receive it. I was considering the ophthalmic pathology fellowship in Bascom Palmer, however due to personal and financial constraints, I won't be able to, so I'm trying to make the most of my research year by doing research at my home institution and nearby institutions. Hopefully this can strengthen my relationship with my home program and in the process, be more productive in terms of publications. How does my plan sound so far? After all this happening, it's really made me reflect and second-guess myself a lot in terms of the decisions that have lead up to this point.

Thank you for the kind words, and I hope so too.[/QUOTE]

All that matters here:
1)Has anyone that you are doing research with ever taken on someone that didn't match and successfully matched them ?
2) do people at these institutions have a good publishing track? Do they regularly do research? do they have a plan for you?

I know people who stayed behind at institutions that rarely publish with faculty that don't publish or who have no connections with other programs...
So...it's more about where you are and how people can help you. Because trust me, programs will want letters from the people you are working with to make sure you are productive or that things are structured and that you aren't just laying around for a year.

I didn't match and was wondering what went wrong. Any insight would be appreciated. My school has no explanation or real guidance and I'm at a loss. I have decided to take a research year and reapply next cycle. This will mean delaying graduation but from what I have read that would be the better option rather than graduating and applying next year as a US MD. Is that correct? I scored 246 on step one and 258 on step two. I was applying Derm and had excellent lors and shelf scores, honoring in several. I'm in a top 25 med school and have a degree in biochem. My Dean told me today I was in the top 10% of my class and I interview very well. In fact I had great feedback on the interview trail. I had six Derm interviews and eight prelim interviews. I ranked eight. I can understand not matching Derm but I didn't even match into a prelim or a transitional year. Does anyone know what could have happened or what my next steps should be?

I didn't match and was wondering what went wrong. Any insight would be appreciated. My school has no explanation or real guidance and I'm at a loss. I have decided to take a research year and reapply next cycle. This will mean delaying graduation but from what I have read that would be the better option rather than graduating and applying next year as a US MD. Is that correct? I scored 246 on step one and 258 on step two. I was applying Derm and had excellent lors and shelf scores, honoring in several. I'm in a top 25 med school and have a degree in biochem. My Dean told me today I was in the top 10% of my class and I interview very well. In fact I had great feedback on the interview trail. I had six Derm interviews and eight prelim interviews. I ranked eight. I can understand not matching Derm but I didn't even match into a prelim or a transitional year. Does anyone know what could have happened or what my next steps should be?

I think you're in the wrong thread, we are Ophtho here... so we can't really tell if your steps and stuff are good enough for derm or what you should do next.

I think you're in the wrong thread, we are Ophtho here... so we can't really tell if your steps and stuff are good enough for derm or what you should do next.
Thanks I just realized that... It's been a really bad day.

Thanks I just realized that... It's been a really bad day.
No worries... I can only imagine what you're going through. Best of luck this week or on whatever you decide to do next!

I feel your pain so much. I'm so sorry you have to feel this