Didn't mention future coursework on AADSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HuskyUC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of adding more schools to my AADSAS application, and some schools require taking Microbiology, which I haven't taken. I did not mention this in my future coursework and may end up taking Microbiology either this fall semester or the spring semester. I have already graduated so I know taking it at a CC probably isn't the best option. How should I address this in the academic update? Is it even worth applying to these schools now?

Also, if I were to take this at a CC would it be looked at negatively? Just asking because the courses are much cheaper and closer at a CC.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't fret- you can let the schools now during interviews, or during the academic update. You can also contact the schools (I did this, and a lot of them said just include it in the academic update), and some schools just made a note of it on my file.

Don't fret- you can let the schools now during interviews, or during the academic update. You can also contact the schools (I did this, and a lot of them said just include it in the academic update), and some schools just made a note of it on my file.

Yeah, you can just wait until the update. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but not completing a prereq/not indicating it on future coursework won't prevent you from getting interviews! And if your interview is before the Nov academic update you can just mention it to them then and say hey, i'll take it spring before matriculation. A lot of people apply after junior year and I highly doubt they are able to put every single planned course for their next 2 semesters/3 quarters without things changing. No big deal :)

And no, taking courses at CCs is fine. Unless the school that requires microbio doesn't accept CC credit, but most schools do and they won't look at that negatively at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I paid for the AADSAS coursework entry service and they don't add your in-progress coursework, so I've been addressing this school by school as they review my application.

Most schools have been placing my application on a temporary hold and sending me e-mails requesting information about the pre-reqs that aren't listed in my coursework due to them being in progress or planned. This slows the process a bit but it is pretty common.

I was proactive and sent e-mails to each school about my in-progress and planned coursework as soon as AADSAS mailed out my application. A couple responded quickly stating they added the info to my file. I didn't receive a response from the others (which happened to be the ones that placed my application on hold).

If you do the same, I'm guessing you'll get similar results. E-mail, call, and double check after you e-mail and call. Schools get tons of correspondence each day, so your stuff can easily get lost in the mix. Good luck.

When your app was placed on hold at some schools does that just show up on the portal? And have you since been able to contact them and clear that up so they can start reviewing your app?

PA - around 3.57; Scienc

Yeah, you can just wait until the update. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but not completing a prereq/not indicating it on future coursework won't prevent you from getting interviews! And if your interview is before the Nov academic update you can just mention it to them then and say hey, i'll take it spring before matriculation. A lot of people apply after junior year and I highly doubt they are able to put every single planned course for their next 2 semesters/3 quarters without things changing. No big deal :)

And no, taking courses at CCs is fine. Unless the school that requires microbio doesn't accept CC credit, but most schools do and they won't look at that negatively at all.

I paid for the AADSAS coursework entry service and they don't add your in-progress coursework, so I've been addressing this school by school as they review my application.

Most schools have been placing my application on a temporary hold and sending me e-mails requesting information about the pre-reqs that aren't listed in my coursework due to them being in progress or planned. This slows the process a bit but it is pretty common.

I was proactive and sent e-mails to each school about my in-progress and planned coursework as soon as AADSAS mailed out my application. A couple responded quickly stating they added the info to my file. I didn't receive a response from the others (which happened to be the ones that placed my application on hold).

If you do the same, I'm guessing you'll get similar results. E-mail, call, and double check after you e-mail and call. Schools get tons of correspondence each day, so your stuff can easily get lost in the mix. Good luck.

When your app was placed on hold at some schools does that just show up on the portal? And have you since been able to contact them and clear that up so they can start reviewing your app?

Yes, the status changes from "Application Complete" or "Received/Under Review" (depending on the school) to "Received/Waiting Additional Information." Usually I get the e-mail requesting information first and see the status update as a result.

Typically a simple reply explaining the in-progress or planned coursework is enough to clear the hold, but I always follow up with a phone call because admissions e-mail inboxes fill up quick during the cycle and I've had e-mails get lost in the mix. Maryland, for example, gives you 30 days to respond or they assume you're not longer interested in completing the application process... so it's best to CYOA and verify receipt.

Thanks for the responses everyone ^^^^. So what my plan is, since I can't find an open seat at a CC for this Fall, I will tentatively schedule it for the Spring semester. Also, some of the CC's offer hybrid courses where you complete the lectures online and take the lab in class, would this also look negative?
Also, how would this play into my gpa? Assuming I do well in the course, it wouldn't be included in my AADSAS GPA so how do schools look at this?

I'm sorry if I was freaking out lol, I overlooked this tiny detail and it caused quite some concern.

Thanks for the responses everyone ^^^^. So what my plan is, since I can't find an open seat at a CC for this Fall, I will tentatively schedule it for the Spring semester. Also, some of the CC's offer hybrid courses where you complete the lectures online and take the lab in class, would this also look negative?
Also, how would this play into my gpa? Assuming I do well in the course, it wouldn't be included in my AADSAS GPA so how do schools look at this?

I'm sorry if I was freaking out lol, I overlooked this tiny detail and it caused quite some concern.
I know people who have taken those hybrid courses and they haven't had a problem! By that point (after spring semester), realistically you'll either have acceptances or you'll have to reapply. I'd imagine the school that requires the class would ask for a transcript to show you actually passed but that's about it. Kind of like senior year of high school. Just maintain and you'll be fine.

I know people who have taken those hybrid courses and they haven't had a problem! By that point (after spring semester), realistically you'll either have acceptances or you'll have to reapply. I'd imagine the school that requires the class would ask for a transcript to show you actually passed but that's about it. Kind of like senior year of high school. Just maintain and you'll be fine.

So would trying to take the class in Fall semester improve my GPA? I'm assuming I'd do well because that would be the only course I am taking. Does the academic update factor into the GPA at all?

So would trying to take the class in Fall semester improve my GPA? I'm assuming I'd do well because that would be the only course I am taking. Does the academic update factor into the GPA at all?
Yeah the update does but that's in November so anything after a summer course probably wouldn't factor into your GPA for admission. Now if you don't have a Dec 1 interview and you get an A in microbiology and send it to some schools I guess it could help a little. I wouldn't expect it to be a game changer either direction unless you fail lol

To be clear, schools that require microbiology are talking about the upper level course, which by definition, cannot be taken at a CC. For example, the CC I went to offered a microbiology course, but it wouldn't transfer as the microbiology credit to the university I attended, because microbiology at my uni was a 5-credit 300 level course (and it was really difficult). What it did transfer as is a 100-level "Basic bacteriology" course.

Some schools are more lenient about CC credits than they let on, but not about their prereqs.

To be clear, schools that require microbiology are talking about the upper level course, which by definition, cannot be taken at a CC. For example, the CC I went to offered a microbiology course, but it wouldn't transfer as the microbiology credit to the university I attended, because microbiology at my uni was a 5-credit 300 level course (and it was really difficult). What it did transfer as is a 100-level "Basic bacteriology" course.

Some schools are more lenient about CC credits than they let on, but not about their prereqs.
Oh that's weird! At my undergrad, with the major I chose, there were no microbiology classes available to me besides intro virology and a general microbio course. The upper level ones required prereq courses that were unrelated to my major so...yeah haha. I was going to add NOVA to my app and take a general microbio course at a CC but I guess that isn't an option now

So, if the course is equivalent to the microbiology at my school, and also considering I have graduated, would that still count? I'm confused now.

I accidentally forgot to enter any of my planned future coursework when I applied. I wasn't questioned on what classes I was planning to take even once at interviews. I also didn't have Microbio, Physics II, and Biochem on my transcript when I sent in the app because I took them senior year. And you must be asking about UF, which also didn't question me on it. They just expected that I knew their pre reqs and that I would take them before matriculation if I accepted their offer to attend. And another poster that mentioned microbiology wouldn't be able to be taken at a CC is partially right. There are generally 2 levels of microbiology, but most CC's offer both. Just check to make sure the one you sign up under is the upper-level version compared to the entry level one. If the CC you're looking to take the class at only has one, or doesn't have it, then you must take it at a university. Just so you know, the entry level microbiology at CC is usually provided for nursing students without a foundation in our sense of general biology, as they take an easier biology if any at all.

Last edited:
I accidentally forgot to enter any of my planned future coursework when I applied. I wasn't questioned on what classes I was planning to take even once at interviews. I also didn't have Microbio, Physics II, and Biochem on my transcript when I sent in the app because I took them senior year. And you must be asking about UF, which also didn't question me on it. They just expected that I knew their pre reqs and that I would take them before matriculation if I accepted their offer to attend. And another poster that mentioned microbiology wouldn't be able to be taken at a CC is partially right. There are generally 2 levels of microbiology, but most CC's offer both. Just check to make sure the one you sign up under is the upper-level version compared to the entry level one. If the CC you're looking to take the class at only has one, or doesn't have it, then you must take it at a universityTaken care of. Thanks to Basem.
Just so you know, the entry level microbiology at CC is usually provided for nursing students without a foundation in our sense of general biology, as they take an easier biology if any at all.

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I was actually talking about NOVA, UNE, and I think one or two others. I confirmed with my transfer equivalences and it does transfer into my undergrad school as the same microbiology that all biology majors take, so I'm assuming it would count just as any other prerequisite. Am I thinking incorrectly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I was actually talking about NOVA, UNE, and I think one or two others. I confirmed with my transfer equivalences and it does transfer into my undergrad school as the same microbiology that all biology majors take, so I'm assuming it would count just as any other prerequisite. Am I thinking incorrectly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. You're correct.

Reactions: 1 user