Diet in Med School

Started by muhali3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is what dietary referrals are for...since I don't know **** about that other than the barebones...

I'm just surprised a "lifestyle " doc or something hasn't been created yet ( I mean that in terms of their focus in patients, not their out of work life). Some people will say that's FM, but I'm talking specifically someone that uses evidence based practice and focuses on the behaviors beyond lifestyle diseases. Basically just a diet and exercise expert. Someone that is actually medically trained
 
I've been doing a keto diest with bodyweight excercises and running intervals while trying to get my 2mile time down....I've been dropping almost a lb a day for the last two-three weeks

lots of good meats, eggs, grass fed butter, and veggies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I use the website BudgetBytes a lot - it has a lot of low cost, quick, and healthy meals. I'll often make excess to freeze so I always have something to eat on those days when I don't have time to cook. Veggie stir fry is also a good go-to. You can even make mac and cheese relatively nutritious by adding a ton of veggies to it (I make Annie's white cheddar shells with like 50% broccoli & peas).
 
Dieticians have a VERY hard job ahead of them...same with primary care and changing lifestyle...especially when very few people will want to readily change...they will sing All About that Bass to you, say you need to accept who they are, and storm out! :O
 
Also, a gigantic batch of Ina Gartens tomato basil soup keeps pretty well in the refrigerator, tastes awesome, is easy to make(except the roasting tomatoes part, I'm too lazy and just use a can of crushed roasted tomatoes), and is relatively good for you. Add pastina for more carbs, or don't and save your carbs for dessert like I do 😀
 
PS jogging is about the worst form of chronic exercise someone can have for life long health. increases body fat, lowers muscle mass, high impact on joints, anatomically unfavorable (humans are made to sprint and walk, not run for long periods of time). walking at an incline is a much more efficient and less catabolic way of exercising. not hating on running, if its your thing, do it, just saying don't do it for health claims.

tumblr_llaj1fufIL1qzjix8.gif


You're probably right, even though I have enjoyed running but I mostly just wanted an excuse to post the gif.
 
Dieticians have a VERY hard job ahead of them...same with primary care and changing lifestyle...especially when very few people will want to readily change...they will sing All About that Bass to you, say you need to accept who they are, and storm out! :O
i aint telling the fatties they are fatties, good way to scare off the costumers.
 
I study evidence-based nutrition and this is the advice I give to my classmates, in a nutshell:
  • There is no one-size-fits-all diet. Different diets work for different people based on culture, genetics, gut microflora and other factors.
  • Any healthy diet should include a variety of whole foods and minimize or omit added sugar, refined grains, and trans fats.
  • Your sedentariness and tendency to gain weight should generally be inversely proportional to your carb intake.
  • As a med student, a slow cooker is your best friend. It's not hard to get away with cooking only twice a week with minimal kitchen time.
  • Some supplements have documented benefits. Fish oil and vitamins D, B12, and K2 come to mind. Some supplements may be beneficial to those deficient in that nutrient and harmful to those are aren't. I personally do not recommend multivitamins for this reason. Also, if one eats a variety of whole foods, supplements are probably unnecessary.
  • Your med school is probably not going to do a good job of teaching you about nutrition. If you want to be able to advise patients as a physician, I recommend doing your own reading or finding another way to educate yourself about nutrition.

Disclaimer: I'm just an MS1 who has read journals and listened to scientists and doctors talk about nutrition for a few years. You should do your own research.
 
That reminds me of this John Oliver skit. It's about 12 minutes long and worth watching. As far as diet in medical school, eating healthy is definitely time-consuming. Eating pre-packaged raw veggies and fruits such as carrots and strawberries are a good way to start.
Jesus. After watching that John Oliver clip, I browsed a few random articles on The Oz Blog, and they were actually worse than I expected. My two favorite “Oz Experts: Thought Leaders in Health” are a neurologist at Scripps Memorial Hospital and a doctor of Chinese medicine who did his Ph.D. dissertation on nutrition.

The Dr. Oz Show:

Mao Shing Ni, PhD, D.O.M., Dipl. ABAAHP:
Kulreet Chaudhary, MD:
  • “The color yellow is used in color therapy to stimulate the stomach, spleen, and pancreas — just another way these lovely yellow flowers help us with digestion…Dandelion is a natural diuretic that removes excess toxins and water from your body, which purifies the blood. By purifying the blood, your liver has to do less work. For many, the liver is overburdened with the amount of work it has to do on a daily basis…Dandelion not only benefits the liver, but also its digestive partner, the gallbladder. The gallbladder is responsible for bile production, which allows the body to break down fats…Dandelion is also great for diabetics because it helps the body to produce insulin and control blood sugar (http://blog.doctoroz.com/oz-experts/herb-of-the-month-dandelion ).”
  • “This chakra is associated with the organs of digestion – the liver, gall bladder, stomach, spleen, pancreas and the small intestine…To help balance the third chakra, incorporate more yellow fruits and vegetables into your meals such as yellow peppers, yellow lentils and yellow squash. Complex carbohydrates such as oats and spelt are important for the solar plexus chakra. It is extremely important to avoid processed, white sugar in order to have a balanced third chakra. White sugar is a potent toxin to the solar plexus (http://blog.doctoroz.com/oz-experts/find-chakra-balance-through-your-diet ).”
  • “This massage has a number of benefits besides relaxation. When you have two therapists working on you simultaneously on either side of your body in sync, it may help balance the left and right sides of your brain. The oils lubricate your joints and release toxins, while the strokes stimulate your body’s lymphatic system and relax the muscles. After receiving this treatment for a number of consecutive days, your body begins to absorb the oils, which may help lubricate your channels and remove deep-rooted toxins (http://blog.doctoroz.com/oz-experts/reboot-your-body-and-mind-with-panchakarma ).”
  • “Understanding your chakras and keeping them in balance can help with all kinds of health and emotional problems…You can balance these chakras using color therapy, foods, mantras and mudras. A mantra is a specific sound. The sound itself vibrates through the nervous system to have a direct impact on the specific chakra. There are also reflex points on the roof of the mouth that send signals to the brain to trigger specific areas in the body (http://blog.doctoroz.com/oz-experts/find-chakra-balance-through-your-diet ).”
  • “Most people suffering from allergy symptoms don’t realize that the foods they are eating may be contributing to their symptoms. In ayurveda, allergies are directly linked to digestion and changing the way you eat is an important part of controlling your allergies. People with allergies should avoid the following foods in particular: Oily foods (especially deep fried), Cold beverages, Cold foods (especially ice cream), Cheese, Canned foods, Leftovers (http://blog.doctoroz.com/oz-experts/ayurvedic-tips-for-natural-allergy-relief ).”
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dude are you really a medical student? I don't see a problem with the blurb about aspirin. I'm of the opinion that the cold does decrease the strength of your immune system, probably decreases efficacy of enzymes or something like that. Processed sugar is bad for you and complex carbohydrates are good. Massage does relax the muscles. As for the chakras, I don't know about sounds but it's true that your thought patterns do affect your health and emotional state. And digestion is definitely linked to allergies. I've seen many people in clinic who have problems with their digestive system that cleared up from avoiding their trigger foods. Most common foods that cause inflammation in some people are beef, dairy, eggs, bananas and wheat. Your body can make IgA, IgE and IgG against any protein and if you have an abnormal reaction in the gut to any foreign material, you can develop an allergic reaction with inflammation which can lead to symptoms such as bloating, abdominal pain, arthritis, enthesitis, etc.. For example, there is a sialic acid called Neu5Gc in red meat that can cause inflammation which was presented in a pnas paper published recently. It's similar to how inflammatory bowel disease or celiac disease are thought to work. Gut flora is a hot topic of research lately, you should read up about it

Anyone who talks about toxins or natural material is probably full of it but that doesn't mean that everything they say is nonsense. Try to keep an open mind although you should have a high level of suspicion even from reputable sources
 
Dude are you really a medical student? I don't see a problem with the blurb about aspirin. I'm of the opinion that the cold does decrease the strength of your immune system, probably decreases efficacy of enzymes or something like that. Processed sugar is bad for you and complex carbohydrates are good. Massage does relax the muscles. As for the chakras, I don't know about sounds but it's true that your thought patterns do affect your health and emotional state. And digestion is definitely linked to allergies. I've seen many people in clinic who have problems with their digestive system that cleared up from avoiding their trigger foods. Most common foods that cause inflammation in some people are beef, dairy, eggs, bananas and wheat. Your body can make IgA, IgE and IgG against any protein and if you have an abnormal reaction in the gut to any foreign material, you can develop an allergic reaction with inflammation which can lead to symptoms such as bloating, abdominal pain, arthritis, enthesitis, etc.. For example, there is a sialic acid called Neu5Gc in red meat that can cause inflammation which was presented in a pnas paper published recently. It's similar to how inflammatory bowel disease or celiac disease are thought to work. Gut flora is a hot topic of research lately, you should read up about it

Anyone who talks about toxins or natural material is probably full of it but that doesn't mean that everything they say is nonsense. Try to keep an open mind although you should have a high level of suspicion even from reputable sources
Here’s an excerpt from an article written by Dr. John Bindernagel, a wildlife biologist and author who has focused over 40 years of research and field experience on one single animal:
“Sasquatch tracks are characterized by their elongated human-like shape, the absence of claw marks, and the occurrence of "hind" feet only. Bear tracks, by comparison, show claw marks, the pointed heel of the bear's hind foot, and the presence of alternating forefoot and hind foot impressions. Compared to human footprints, sasquatch tracks differ mainly in size: those recorded vary from seven to 22 inches (17 to 56 centimetres), with an average in John Green's records of 16 inches (40 centimetres).”

The description of bear tracks may be accurate, but it’s nestled in between statements about a mythical beast that are meant to be treated as equally factual. I agree that it’s important to be open minded, but be careful not to let a light sprinkling of facts and semi-truthful generalizations seduce you into believing pure, unadulterated bullsh*t. Also, I agree that having an advanced degree doesn’t preclude someone from making mistakes or believing in inaccurate information. Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary may be an “Oz Expert: Thought Leader in Health” who graduated with an MD from Loma Linda, but among other things, she still believes that the spleen is part of the digestive system and that the gallbladder, not the liver, produces bile.

As far as I recall, the mechanism of action for aspirin is incorrect. Aspirin doesn’t directly “attack and block” thromboxane; it just indirectly prevents platelets from producing it by acetylating and irreversibly inactivating Cox-1 which inhibits the production of prostaglandin H2, the precursor that thromboxane synthase uses to make thromboxane. Overall it probably doesn’t matter if the average reader is taught a semi-inaccurate MOA for aspirin, but if the Oz Blog’s intent is to educate the public with accurate medical information, then they are failing. They should at least learn how different medications actually work before they publish articles advising the public about whether or not they should take them. According to this paper in the British Medical Journal, a lot of the material discussed by the Dr. Oz show is not supported by scientific evidence: http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7346 .

Massages are relaxing, but most humans that I know don’t have a system of channels and joints that can be lubricated like a machine with the external application of massage oil. Obviously you can have an allergic reaction to something you eat, but this excerpt was taken from an article on preventing seasonal allergies, and I fail to see how eating leftovers and cold food would have any impact. The explanation suggested by the article is that “these foods are believed to clog the digestive system and result in excessive mucus formation” which I assume the author believes magically migrates from the GI tract to the nose to exit the body. Chakras, energy fields that influence personality traits, moods, and the functions of different organs, are not supported by scientific evidence; repeating specific words that “vibrate through the nervous system” to alter a non-existent energy field and color therapy (eating specific colors of food) have not been proven to be effective treatments for physical disease.