I'm about to begin med school... What would you have done differently?

Started by penfish45
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

penfish45

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm about to begin medical school this coming fall, and I'm very excited! I really want to do well in med school and become the best doctor possible. I'm curious to hear about your experiences as medical students and/or residents, and really value your insight. Thank you!!
  • What should I keep in mind as I start med school?
  • Are there particular things I should definitely do or try over my four years?
  • What's the best way to study? Are there resources I should be using that I should familiarize myself with?
  • Aside from studying and enjoying my learning, what sorts of things should I do in order to match well into residency?
  • When should I start doing those things? I've never really been a networking person, but I've heard it can be a big deal in medical school - how should I go about this? How should I be studying?
  • Do you have any miscellaneous tips or tricks?

If you could go back in time and start med school all over again... what would you do differently? What did you do that worked well?

(And just to be clear, I AM enjoying my summer, I'm just really interested in this stuff and would love to start planning and thinking a bit)
 
  • What's the best way to study? Are there resources I should be using that I should familiarize myself with?
    • It is easy to search and find sources. The more important concept is realizing how you best learn and study, adapting accordingly. This is more important in medical school due to the sheer amount of material. You have to be as an efficient learner as possible. Example: I'm very visual. Pharmacology was difficult for me because it is not very visual. I had to adapt the material to help me memorize it.
Keep time to not study. That could be reading for pleasure, going to the gym, going out with friends, etc. I started up a happy hour at a local pub/restaurant where most of my friend group would meet up on Fridays to decompress. It's nice to have some non-medical school friends, but remember, you want to be able to decompress and discuss what you are going through to others who can sympathize.

Residency is not so different from getting into medical school. It's takes the total package. Depending on what you are going for; research, aways, who you know, grades, and test scores all play in to varying degrees. Volunteer and leadership help, but they seem less important than they do for medical school entrance.

I can't say I would do anything different. One thing that worked well for me was studying with a small group of like minded folks. Learning the material, then being sure I understood it, then discussing it with others (especially near the exam) really helped cement the concepts and minutia.
 
Last edited:
Read and bookmark
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm about to begin medical school this coming fall, and I'm very excited! I really want to do well in med school and become the best doctor possible. I'm curious to hear about your experiences as medical students and/or residents, and really value your insight. Thank you!!
  • What should I keep in mind as I start med school?
  • Are there particular things I should definitely do or try over my four years?
  • What's the best way to study? Are there resources I should be using that I should familiarize myself with?
  • Aside from studying and enjoying my learning, what sorts of things should I do in order to match well into residency?
  • When should I start doing those things? I've never really been a networking person, but I've heard it can be a big deal in medical school - how should I go about this? How should I be studying?
  • Do you have any miscellaneous tips or tricks?

If you could go back in time and start med school all over again... what would you do differently? What did you do that worked well?

(And just to be clear, I AM enjoying my summer, I'm just really interested in this stuff and would love to start planning and thinking a bit)
Congrats on starting soon!

A couple of pieces of sage advice as a now M3 who's also experienced most of mandatory clinical rotations:

1. This process is a marathon, not a sprint. It will feel like things are flying by and they are, but remember to stop and smell the roses every now and then.
2. With respect to studying: Treat it like your job, but also understand that, like a job, you cannot work it 24 hours a day 7 days a week. A few hours every day beats pulling all nighters before the exam, every single time.
3. Once an exam is complete, but before you know your grade, leave it behind. Don't dwell on your answers. Water under the bridge
4. Every failure or disappointment is an opportunity for growth. Nobody who walks this trail will get through it without a bit of damage. Learn from your mistakes, but also understand they're not the end all be all.
5. Not everybody you meet should or could be your friend. Med school, in many ways, can socially feel like high school. DONT get sucked into cliques and drama. Make a good core group of friends, and then respectfully treat everybody else as your colleagues.
6. In the same vein as 5, and what I would consider something I would absolutely do differently, is make an effort especially in the preclinical years to find and build community OUTSIDE of med school. It will be hard — it will involve you putting yourself in situations with people who are strangers — but it's good to have stuff you like to do that isn't studying with similar people. It grounds you.
7. Professionalism matters now more than anything else you do. If you see a patient, relay to your residents and attendings what you actually saw. If you forgot to ask a question, own up to it. If you break sterile field in the OR, own up to it. Don't be late, but if you are late, make sure you appropriately inform your teams. Medicine is hierarchical; don't talk back or be rude. And do not, EVER EVER mess around with protected health information — that is a one way trip out of this field.
8. Play nice with others on your team. That means everybody — the attendings, fellows, residents, your Sub-I's, your other medical students, rotating students, nurses, APRNs, techs, even the janitors and ESPECIALLY your patients and their families. Divide the work evenly amongst yourselves according to your skill levels. Work hard and ask questions. And, most importantly, if a resident tells you to go home, GO HOME.
9. Be frugal, but not to a fault. Med school is expensive and loans are difficult. Drive the used car, get the apartment outside of the rich glitzy areas. But also, you don't need to live off of beans and rice for 4 years. Eating out once a week and little vacations every now and then are entirely appropriate — you will make the money back in the future several fold. And make sure your living arrangements are set up in a way that's conducive for you. For me, that meant ditching roommates after first year.
10. Be kind to yourself, your body and your mind. That means working out (also another thing that I was not as good at doing...), eating well, getting good sleep, taking care of your body and your living space, taking time to relax, and also staying in touch with your existing support networks (family, significant other, friends, religion etc.)
11. Take advantage of the opportunities around you especially in preclinical years. You will be exposed to a LOT in med school that you will never see again in the future. And who knows, you may find a field you like that you never even thought about before
12. Don't be afraid to ask for help. There are so many people around you who want to see you succeed.

Ok that's more than a couple pieces, but you get the gist.
 
Thank you all for your advice 🙂 I will take everything into account. And @Mr.Smile12 , thank you for the thread, I have it bookmarked and will be reading through it soon.
 
Hi! I'm about to begin medical school this coming fall, and I'm very excited! I really want to do well in med school and become the best doctor possible. I'm curious to hear about your experiences as medical students and/or residents, and really value your insight. Thank you!!
  • 1) What should I keep in mind as I start med school?
  • 2) Are there particular things I should definitely do or try over my four years?
  • 3) What's the best way to study? Are there resources I should be using that I should familiarize myself with?
  • 4) Aside from studying and enjoying my learning, what sorts of things should I do in order to match well into residency?
  • 5) When should I start doing those things? I've never really been a networking person, but I've heard it can be a big deal in medical school - how should I go about this? How should I be studying?
  • 6) Do you have any miscellaneous tips or tricks?
1) What worked in UG will probably not work in med school.
2) Make friends, get to know your faculty and try to enjoy learning. Remember why you're there, and have some faith in yourself. You're going to be a doctor!!!
3) The best way to study is what works for you. Some people are auditory learners, some are visual, other are tactile, etc,. Read this: Goro's guide to success in medical school (2024 version)
4) Network, network, network!
5) Your clinical years...meet people. Talk to them; shadow people; Ask for career advice.
6) Give yourself time for you; practice mindfulness; don't beat yourself up if you fail an exam...pretty much everyone does at one point, and almost all programs are P/F now. Ditto Step I/Level I. And don't overthink exam questions.
 
I wish I had realized that 7-9 hours of sleep a night and regular exercise aren’t just “self-care” they’re basically performance enhancing “drugs” (interventions?) that are absolutely essential for you to perform at your best. I promise you will get more done in less time with the above than you would otherwise. It took me until residency to realize that (I’m dumb). Paradoxically I have 28 hour call now haha, but I sleep when I can.

Anki works for most people. Get the AnKing deck. It’s correlated with the resources you’ll use to pass step exams (UWorld for practice questions, Pathoma for pathology, Sketchy for micro and pharmacology, Boards and Beyond for miscellaneous topics).

The “formula” is to match the above resources with whatever your school teaches and then do the AnKings cards. Your school’s curriculum isn’t “bad” per se, but if you take notes with a pencil and reread them there is just no way you’ll remember as much as the people grinding Anki all day. (This all might depend on you as a person, if going to class and using a typewriter works for you, by all means, do that).

Your school’s job is not to prepare you for step 1 or 2. That’s your job, on top of passing med school. It’s annoying but it is what it is. Ignore boards at your own peril.

Matching competitively- it’s step 2 score + quality publications + letters from attendings +/- AOA. If you’re FM you don’t need any of those things really (well, you need good letters). If you’re derm or ortho you need all of them and you still might not match. Most of the other specialties are in between, search these forums or ask your department chair at your school about it.

Good luck. Be ethical. We need good ethical doctors to push back against the nonsense going on in this country right now. On that- you will see powerful people do bad things in your training. Don’t get kicked out of medical school trying to be a change agent, but when you get a little bit of power yourself (resident/attending level), be the change you want to see. My program director is an example of someone who has done this and because of that my residency program is incredible.
 
I wish I had realized that 7-9 hours of sleep a night and regular exercise aren’t just “self-care” they’re basically performance enhancing “drugs” (interventions?) that are absolutely essential for you to perform at your best. I promise you will get more done in less time with the above than you would otherwise. It took me until residency to realize that (I’m dumb). Paradoxically I have 28 hour call now haha, but I sleep when I can.
This is so real. My first 2 weeks of ms3 inpatient I tried to push through on 5 hours a night. I was nodding off at noon lectures every day and it felt like my brain was tv static. Now if I'm not in bed by 10 I'm gonna have a bad day.
 
  • What should I keep in mind as I start med school?
Slow and steady wins the race. Pretend it is a 45 hour work week (M-F 8-5, Saturday 8-12:30). Make sure you WORK AT WORK, and don't work when you're supposed to be relaxing. Keep your 'off' time as sacred as your study time. You will meet people at school who "study" from 8 am to 8pm monday through Sunday. If you observe them, you will observe they are stressfully relaxing the entire period, with minimal learning - tortured by guilt because they haven't studied - but also too stressed to study because they couldn't relax... Their life sucks. Don't do that. Treat it like a job and prioritize learning over prioritizing scores.
  • Are there particular things I should definitely do or try over my four years?
Yes, enjoy these 4 years. Med school should be a great time in your life. Full time student - learning to be a doctor, making great friends, early to late twenties or early thirties... Exploring a city, meeting a partner. Don't lose sight of the things in life that matter. That's how you can be bulletproof to burnout. If your friends constantly complain - get new friends. Many folks in med school never had to grow up until they get there. Don't fall in the trap of regression and negativity. Med school is part of life - it isn't your whole life.
  • Aside from studying and enjoying my learning, what sorts of things should I do in order to match well into residency?
Learn how to prioritize your sleep and gym time / rec time. Do not give up your sleep or your basic needs. Learning this lesson early is important for continued success. Regular exercise and good sleep FAR EXCEEDS the study time they take up in terms of their effect on your actual grades and quality of life. Content and relaxed people perform better in all areas of life, including residency and eventually attendinghood.