Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I took differential equations through the college of engineering.My school offered it through the math department or the engineering department. It made sense that since I was an engineering major I take it through Engineering. Here is the thing though.. it was hard.. very had.. and I got a C+. Has anybody gotten bye with designating this class as engineering? I really hurty my bcmp and I would hate to have it there. My premed advisor told me to put it as engineering since she thought it wouldnt count as math.. what do you all think

Cegar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
What was the exact course title/designation?

Go ahead and list it as general. It will be changed if they deem it as a bio/chem/math/phys class.

Schemp

drawing infinity
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Seattle
Status
Pre-Medical
It's not a required class for any med schools (as far as I know), and even above Calc 1 or 2 is often unnecessary, so I could see it being designated general/engineering. That doesn't mean med schools will see it that way, but it's worth a shot!

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
MAP#### Elem Diff Eq... the one offered by the math dpt is MAC### with the same exact title

Cegar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Oh, they'll probably put it with your sci/math classes then. But go ahead and list it under general. It'll be changed if they don't like it in there.

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
any other engineers have this problem?

Cegar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Sort of. I don't know how my classes will be classified.

But the grades are all pretty decent so it doesn't really matter.

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I took another class called instrumentation/experimentation with biotechnology. Do you think this could pass as a bio one?

Cegar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Uh... maybe. Check the AAMC website. They have a PDF which may shed some light onto this.

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
actually I was wrong my diff eq course is MAP#### -Elem. Diff equations for engineers. Do you think this will make a diff?

iduwanna

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
actually I was wrong my diff eq course is MAP#### -Elem. Diff equations for engineers. Do you think this will make a diff?
It's just first semester calc, right? I think they'll recognize that and list it as math.

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
no... i took it after calc 3

Cegar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Differential equations is the general name for any number of class from the 200 level and up.

BluePhoenix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2007
Status
It's an engineering class, not a math class. If you really wanted to press it, you MIGHT be able to have it count as math. But from what I've seen (I went to an engineering school), math for engineers is NOT math and there's a big difference between the two usually (generally completely difference goals). I'm not saying it wasn't hard, they're just not the same thing. SO, if it's got an engineering course number and was an engineering course, leave it as that and don't attempt to include it in the BCPM.

jult24er

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I took differential equations through the college of engineering.My school offered it through the math department or the engineering department. It made sense that since I was an engineering major I take it through Engineering. Here is the thing though.. it was hard.. very had.. and I got a C+. Has anybody gotten bye with designating this class as engineering? I really hurty my bcmp and I would hate to have it there. My premed advisor told me to put it as engineering since she thought it wouldnt count as math.. what do you all think
I assume you spent the entire class doing math, with an axis occasionally labled "Spring Displacement (M)" ?

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status
Medical Student
Yeah slap it in the engineering section. My personal experience is that the adcoms and AMCAS are pretty flexible when it comes to categorizing non-traditional classwork. Although, realize this, since you are an engineering major, your GPA will probably be lower anyways. In any case, you can always change it back if they tell you no anyways.

I also had problems with engineering classes but they were mostly becuase I was trying to fill bio class requirements with stuff like Computational Modeling of Biology. :rolleyes:

IceMan0824

Holy crip, he's a crapple
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status
Non-Student
You can label it any way you want, but I think AMCAS will ultimately change it to Math. It is Diff Eq and any additional to the name or any other department outside of math that offers it doesn't change it away from Diff Eq.

scgamer2000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
AMCAS will simply change the course category it to math if they think it's appropriate. Sometimes they do strange stuff. My biomedical engineering courses with the following titles were all switched to engineering even though they're simply in-house versions of biology classes:
-Physiology I
-Physiology II
-Cell and Molecular Biology

ChePibe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
All of my engineering classes went into my science calculation of GPA. Let me tell you it was very wise of me to pick a second major in the physical sciences to raise my GPA to where it ended. Otherwise, it may have been .15-.2 lower :scared::D.

zpiff

Spaceman
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Wait so are engineering classes BCMP or not? I feel like this is kind of important for engineers.

UVAbme2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status
Medical Student
AMCAS will simply change the course category it to math if they think it's appropriate. Sometimes they do strange stuff. My biomedical engineering courses with the following titles were all switched to engineering even though they're simply in-house versions of biology classes:
-Physiology I
-Physiology II
-Cell and Molecular Biology
Really? Did you take regular biology? I took the same courses. I'd really rather not be blindsided by what counts as BCPM for me.

If I contact AMCAS, will what they tell me hold up when my application is verified? My BCPM could range from around a 3.4 to a 3.7 depending on what they count. And from this post it doesn't seem like they are very consistent.

scgamer2000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Really? Did you take regular biology? I took the same courses. I'd really rather not be blindsided by what counts as BCPM for me.

If I contact AMCAS, will what they tell me hold up when my application is verified? My BCPM could range from around a 3.4 to a 3.7 depending on what they count. And from this post it doesn't seem like they are very consistent.
I had AP credit for general biology and so listed that on AMCAS. They kept that as BCPM. It didn't take any longer for them to verify my application I don't think. They just changed the course categories around (I swear I listed those as biology classes....hell, I'm pretty sure I listed BME IDEAs lab as a biology class, which got switched to engineering as well). And if you're wondering....yes, I'm a UVA student graduating this year. :)

chr123

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Wait so are engineering classes BCMP or not? I feel like this is kind of important for engineers.
BCMP

B - Biology
C - Chemistry
M - Math
P - Physics

No "E" for enigneering

Although for TMDSAS, engineering classes are "Other Science" (I don't agree but that's what I was told to do and did.)

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Che pibe.. how did you get all of your ENGineering classes to count as BCMP. What type of engineering did you do? I took hydrodynamics and dynamics classes that I really want to put into physics since it really was physics. Its not really an engineering course but more of a PRE- engineering course to solidify your physics beffore you start your upper division​

SnoPearl

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Differential equations is generally known as a math course. It is heavily used in engineering, but as a way to solve scenarios rather than an actual engineering concept. Most people at my school take DiffEQs, and I have not heard anyone designate it as engineering on their AMCAS. I put mine as math and it was not changed to engineering. If you're going to put it as engineering, just be aware that it will most likely be changed to math. Other engineering courses can vary wildly though - I was able to push my biomechanics and modeling courses into the math section...

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi. Thanks for your reply on my thread. I really liked your input. I was wondering about your comment regarding your biomechanics courses and modleing ones. Are those the course titles as they appear on your transcript? Ihave some classes that i truly believe should be counted as part of my bcmp butmy presumption was that they couldnt. After reading your post i started to wonder again. My hydrodynamics, and dynamics classes were both very physics intensive. They are both materials that you touch in physics I but then you take them as a seperate course to better understand them. Their content is that of a more advanced physics class if you will. WOuld the same go for a circuits class? Physics II touches on circuits. After physics II i took a seperate circuits course. Heck even the mcat regards circuits as part of physics, it would seem a tad bit hypocritical for amcas not to.

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Sorry, I accidentally double posted

SnoPearl

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hi. Thanks for your reply on my thread. I really liked your input. I was wondering about your comment regarding your biomechanics courses and modleing ones. Are those the course titles as they appear on your transcript? Ihave some classes that i truly believe should be counted as part of my bcmp butmy presumption was that they couldnt. After reading your post i started to wonder again. My hydrodynamics, and dynamics classes were both very physics intensive. They are both materials that you touch in physics I but then you take them as a seperate course to better understand them. Their content is that of a more advanced physics class if you will. WOuld the same go for a circuits class? Physics II touches on circuits. After physics II i took a seperate circuits course. Heck even the mcat regards circuits as part of physics, it would seem a tad bit hypocritical for amcas not to.
I would definitely put those courses under physics (if that's where you feel it fits best, out of the BCMP categories). For one thing, it will never hurt you to do so. AMCAS will change it back to something else as they see fit, but if you get even one or two accepted into your BCMP, then it's your win right :) They're not going to like return your application to you and slap your wrist. If they change it, you'll see a mark on your verified application telling you they changed it, but no medical schools will see that, so don't worry. I think my tissue engineering class that I tried to pass off as bio got turned back into engineering haha. As you can tell, I tried to put as much as I could into that BCMP :p To answer your question, my courses really did say "Modeling and Simulation" or "Cell Mechanics", and I took them through the chemical engineering dept and bioengineering depts, respectively. Good luck with yours!

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
that is what I am going to do then. My application is going to be so confusing to them. My hydrodyancis class I am going to set as physics becuase it believe it fits the bill. My wastewater microbiology and water chemistry though I am going to put as engineering. Their titles are misleading as they were more laboratory like classes than biology or chemistry classes. Oh well. I hope things work out ok for me and anybody else who is having the same problem as me.

OP
F

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
actually regarding my last post I have a quick question (sorry for all the questinons) Like I said I took a water chemistry class through my engineering program. the course title is EES#### ( EES is for Environmental Engineerin Sciences) Will they just look at the title and change it from engineering to chemistry or will they notice that it was a 4000 level engineering class. The class itself was more of an applied chemistry class if you will where we used what we learned in chemistry for water treatment and wastewater treatment plants.

SnoPearl

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
actually regarding my last post I have a quick question (sorry for all the questinons) Like I said I took a water chemistry class through my engineering program. the course title is EES#### ( EES is for Environmental Engineerin Sciences) Will they just look at the title and change it from engineering to chemistry or will they notice that it was a 4000 level engineering class. The class itself was more of an applied chemistry class if you will where we used what we learned in chemistry for water treatment and wastewater treatment plants.
That sounds like it could either be chemistry or environmental engineering. You mention that it was mostly lab, which is more BCMP than engineering, in my opinion. It pretty much sounds like an applied chem lab. If it'll boost your bcmp, put it in chemistry (the app will also ask you to designate it as being a lab course). If it pulls your gpa down, put it as engineering.