Difference between APTA accrediated schools and not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am just curios what the difference is if I go to an APTA accrediated school between one that is not.??

Members don't see this ad.

It is CAPTE who grants national accredidation to schools - not APTA. There is a process that schools go through to gain accredidation through CAPTE. You can find the information on their website. New programs are not fully accredited until they are about to graduate their first class.

thanks for clarifying.

So if I was to go to a non accredited school would that affect in finding a job in PT after graduation from that program. I am just curious because I have been looking at schools that are only accredited, but I have heard some people say that got into a school that is not accredited and I am wondering if that affects in any way

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you can't sit for the national exam unless you graduated from an accredited school. I'd double-check that information though.

The school is granted accredidation just before graduating their first class. I don't know if there has ever been a program that was not given accredidation at this point but I suppose it's possible. This is a process that all schools have to go through when they are a startup program.

I've only heard of one school not getting accredited by the first time its first class graduated, and it was only a small delay that didn't affect the students.

With that said, you never know what could happen. I would not make an unaccredited school my first, or even fourth choice, unless the tuition was pennies on the dollar, which is the exact opposite newer programs tend to be doing.

I applied, accepted and am attending a school that was not yet accred. until just this spring. There is usually a back up plan where the place students at other DPT schools. Would be a good question to ask the program director or admin. As more and more schools add DPT programs we are going to be seeing this for awhile.

Right you can not sit for the exam unless your program is accredited. It generally takes 3 yrs and the first grad. class.(and a lot on compliance and programming issues from the educ, and clinical standpoint)