Difference between COP and SOP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VP_Pharm2004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like an asinine question, but what's the difference between a College of Pharmacy and a School of Pharmacy, if any?

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes SOP's are part of a larger college. COP's are usually, quite simply, their own college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by pharmtech77
Sometimes SOP's are part of a larger college. COP's are usually, quite simply, their own college.

Not always true.

Quite often large universites are broken into several "colleges".

Such and Such U. - College of Liberal Arts, College of Pharmacy, College of whatever.

Yep. Well schools are part of colleges and I guess, technically, colleges are part of universities. Right?

In Canada, "college" is quite often used to refer to a school past high school that usually offers vocational education. "University" is the term used for those attending higher education schools in other fields.

ie: You go to "college" to learn a trade
you go to "university" to study psychology, premedicine, or pharmacy

Bet you didn't know that.

LOL. I actually did not know that about Canada. But, my family has some friends from Great Britain (I think?), and they say they go to "university"...in the context that you mentioned (eg. with pharmacy). Kinda like they call their apartments "flats" and so forth. ;) I guess maybe I was being egocentric (maybe?) and only considering the terms used in the states. :)

With undergrad colleges and universities:
Universities have a Grad school program
Colleges don't
We had a problem at home with this with a subsididary of the University of VA. There was a branch that they refused to call University of VA-Wise b/c it had no grad school.
It is The UVA- College at wise.

Perhaps most of the COPs didn't have PhD programs when they began so they were "Colleges" and the others who offered the advanced degrees were termed univeristies