difference between DO and MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that their philosophies are different. but it seems to be pretty general. Are the classes taken in DO school different from the ones in MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Spiderman,

I really don't want to tackle this question all alone and I'm sure that "others" will help me out. A short answer to your question is, no osteopathic medical education is not all that different than allopathic education. Both schools take the same major classes, anatomy, biochem, etc. usually using the same textbooks. The major difference is actually that osteopathic education includes over 120 hours of something called OMT (or OMM) in addition to all of the other basic courses that both schools share. This is one of the principles of osteopathic medicine and it is usually your choice to use it once you graduate.

I'd suggest that you take a further look at some of the other threads on this board as there is a lot of information to be found. You might also want to check out the American Osteopathic Association's website at <a href="http://www.aoa-net.org." target="_blank">http://www.aoa-net.org.</a>

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me! I was once confused as well...but now I know I've made the right choice.

care

from what i understand all classes are the same with the addition of some in DO schools. Michigan State actually has a DO & an MD program and students take the same science classes and then split up for the omm. Someone actually going there could enlighten you more about that. As far as i see it, anatomy is anatomy, biochem is biochem-- not much has changed as far as that goes. DO's boast a more patient-oriented approach but that will ultimately depend on the physician.