Difference between MBA and MHA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mddre

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone care to expand upon the differences between MBA and MHA (masters of health administration)? What would be some good schools for MHA in California?

Members don't see this ad.

MBA in healthcare management and MHA in healthcare administration, are practically the same thing, however there are some unique aspects for each program:

MBA:
you learn investment making decisions in healthcare, marketing, financing, sales forecasting, accounting, management and information technology...everything applied to healthcare.

MHA: this is more specialized into the management aspect of healthcare...MHA students dont have to take all the finance or accounting core classes like the MBAs. But they are taught in depth about managing a hospital or a healthcare system.

Jobwise: MBAs have more opportunities in the corporate sector which includes executive duties and finance duties. MHAs usually get the operations side of things in healthcare because its more specialized. every year almost 2000 physicians go back and get their degree in MHA.

I'm and MS1, my mom is an MHA: her advice to anyone debating MBA/MHA would be number one to consider if you want to strictly limit yourself to healthcare (duh); and number two: look at the programs in your area. This is also duh: if you have a GREAT MBA prog and no good MHA options, theres your sign. And vice versa... I know for her (she is strictly MHA) there are only a certain number of positions available, and it is hard to get above a certain ceiling. On the other hand, if you are a combined degree student, or are just simply very good, you can almost write your own ticket. She had an offer for more than i will probably EVER make as a physician just to go up to a new hospital and help them get started... pretty easy stuff....

So MHA can definetly be lucrative, but people in the industry definetly look more at the quality of the education and experience than the specific letters after your name... just my 0.02$

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently spoke with with Modern Healthcare's CEO of the Year for 2003 and she said that most of the MHA's she interacts with are struggling to keep their heads above water. All that they know is healthcare. Simply knowing healthcare is not enough in this day and age. MHAs typically get overshadowed by MBAs and especially by MD/MBAs. One last point, MHAs are typically for people that have no healthcare experience whatsoever and the focus is on giving them that leg up to understand some of the healthcare lingo. Medical students and other clinicians already have this component and what they need is good, hardcore business knowledge. You don't get this from an MHA program and you definitely don't get this from an MPH program.

Hello,

I am applying to MHA programs this fall and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I am a senior and applying straight from my undergrad. Thanks.

I'm somewhat biased (current MBA) but many of my electives are in the MHA program and the student knowledge of actual healthcare is astonishingly lacking. They know a lot of economics and such, but very very little about how hospitals actually work.

MHA students are also taught almost nothing in the way of business. They get some entry level courses in finance, acct, etc; but nothing in much depth