difference between pharmacist and doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrick3142

Reaction score
Which is a better choice for having a better social life? Pharmacy takes 8 years a doctor takes only 3 more and both require a lot of work so is there any difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Are we assuming you have no knowledge about either profession or the process of education?

Reactions: 5 users
It’s harder to become a doctor.
Becoming a pharmacist is hard.
Both can have good social lives but if pursuing the doctor route, you cross out a bunch of specialties (surgery mainly).
Did I mention doctors get paid more than pharmacists?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Both can have good social lives but if pursuing the doctor route, you cross out a bunch of specialties (surgery mainly).
Dont you mean DO route?

You don’t “cross out” a bunch of specialties. Name a specialty and I’ll find you a 2018 DO grad who matched it in the ACGME match.

There is a huge difference between having a specialty become harder for you to match and “crossing it out”.

You don’t “cross out” a bunch of specialties. Name a specialty and I’ll find you a 2018 DO grad who matched it in the ACGME match.

There is a huge difference between having a specialty become harder for you to match and “crossing it out”.
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that was in response to the "social life" aspect of the OP's question.

Lmao I didn’t say DO, I said doctor in general.
I’m well aware that DOs are in every specialty and are qualified to be.
If you want a good social life though, not all specialties provide that luxury.

Have a pharmacist student as a roommate and am a current DO student.

Pharmacy is no joke but it definitely depends on what your goals are and the type of student you are. My roommate is pretty smart and doesn't have lofty goals so he frequently does the undergrad style of "cramming the night before the test". Probably studies approximately 6 hours per week on non-exam weeks. He was a pharmacy tech for a couple years before starting pharmacy school and says it gives him a huge advantage. Some of his classmates are in the library studying all the time because they do not have his type of background.

Compared to me in DO school. I don't think there was any job I could've done that would've prepared me for this. Even friends that have nursing, PAs are no breezing through medical school without problems. So yes I am putting in a lot more hours studying than my roommate.

TLDR: Professional school period is hard. Some people could assume pharmacy school is easier because there is more people that can thrive in their style of learning and have a social life. Personally, I don't see much of a difference in the pre-clinical years. We're both just memorizing random factoids. My roommate (pharmacy) focuses more on treatment. My knowledge base (DO) is much more focused on anatomy, pathology.

Which is a better choice for having a better social life? Pharmacy takes 8 years a doctor takes only 3 more and both require a lot of work so is there any difference?

Swing over to the Pharmacy forum. I was a pharm tech in retail for 2 years. There is zero good news for grads. I recommend steering clear from Pharmacy.

Hospital Pharmacy seems to be a different story for now. However, I’ve also seen people do a residency after pharm school, then work float midnight’s for Walgreens because they can’t find a position.

This seems like a troll post, but I'll give my opinion anyways.

Pharmacy degree 8 years?
MD/DO Degree 3 years?
Where do you get these numbers from?

MD/DO require a Bachelors + 3/4 year MD/DO program.
Pharamcy school doesn't require a Bachelors, but requires a 4 year program after.

Both are difficult, I would say MD/DO is harder but better pay.

You really have to decide what you want to do yourself. Doctors can have good social lives (Work 9-5 like other jobs). It all depends on the specialty you want to go into.

Swing over to the Pharmacy forum. I was a pharm tech in retail for 2 years. There is zero good news for grads. I recommend steering clear from Pharmacy.

Hospital Pharmacy seems to be a different story for now. However, I’ve also seen people do a residency after pharm school, then work float midnight’s for Walgreens because they can’t find a position.

On top of that, it should be a pre-req to work as a pharm tech before applying to pharm school. Schools don’t require it but like it.

Hence, work as a pharm tech before committing to pharm school.