difference between pituitary and thyroid dwarf other than mental ******ation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarsuc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any significant differences?

Members don't see this ad.

Endemic cretinism:
In endemic regions, lack of iodine may cause 10% of the population to suffer mental deficiencies. Cretinism has a neurological form characterised by deaf-mutism, spastic diplegia, growth, and mental ******ation, and myxedemic form characterized by dwarfism, goiter, mental ******ation, and myxedema.

Pituitary dwarfism: There is lack of growth hormone with consequent lack of IGF-1, necessary for the thickening of the epiphyseal plate. Causes of pituitary dwarfism include:
Hypothalamic origin: Hypothalamic, or infundibular injury.
Pituitary origin: congenital lack of pituitary gland, perinatal brain trauma, craniopharyngeoma, basal meningitis, and encephalitis. Administration of GH can solve the problem.
Laron dwarf: GH levels are high, but there is no IGF-1 due to defect of GH-receptor. Thus GH administration is useless.
Pigmy dwarf: The GH, and IGF-1 levels are normal, but there may be some target organ resistance of genetic origin.

Pituitary dwarves are 140cm, proportional, they have a normal I.Q, but sexual development is often impaired. It cannot be seen in babies, only when they later at 1-2 years of age. It may be coupled with a tendency for hypoglycemia (GH has a role in glucose regulation).

So yeah, as far as I know, the pituitary dwarves do not suffer from the myxedema, deafness, and mutism, spastic diplegia, and so forth.

Have a nice day friend.

Oli J

So yeah, as far as I know, the pituitary dwarves do not suffer from the myxedema, deafness, and mutism, spastic diplegia, and so forth.

Oli J

Thanks a lot!

did you mean to say that thyroid dwarfs will have all those?

Also thyroid dwarfs have disproportionate, and pituitary dwarfs have proportionate dwarfism, is it?
(this is the proportion of trunk to the limbs right?)