Difference between Pod and Med school and the USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umass319

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted it; don't want to mislead people. But, see below for an excerpt from Podiatry's Vision 2015.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hahaha. What do you think we practice? Voodoo?

It is most definitely allopathic medicine.

QUOTE]

Did you seriously just make that statement? Where are you getting your information from?

Podiatry is Allopathic medicine, it is just confined to the foot and ankle.

What exactly is it that you think DPM's do?

Before you make statements like this:
1) Do some research
2) Shadow a Podiatrist

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just found this off the Vision 2015 outline:

Within these meetings, podiatric medical education and training needs to be explained in such a way that there is no confusion over the point that podiatric physicians are not limited licensed practitioners. Podiatric physicians are allopaths in the true definition of the term, i.e., a system of medical practice making use of all measures that have proved of value in the treatment of disease. Podiatric medicine is not different than any other medical specialty in that there are no philosophical or treatment variations. Along with allopathic and osteopathic medicine, podiatric medicine is the only other four-year undergraduate plus four-year doctoral plus postdoctoral, hospital-based residency educational process currently in existence for health care providers. Podiatric physicians receive a substantial amount of training from MDs and DOs. Podiatric residents rotate through medical departments in JCAHO and AOA accredited hospitals.

I guess I was part of the confusion.

Last edited:

Within these meetings, podiatric medical education and training needs to be explained in such a way that there is no confusion over the point that podiatric physicians are not limited licensed practitioners. Podiatric physicians are allopaths in the true definition of the term, i.e., a system of medical practice making use of all measures that have proved of value in the treatment of disease. Podiatric medicine is not different than any other medical specialty in that there are no philosophical or treatment variations. Along with allopathic and osteopathic medicine, podiatric medicine is the only other four-year undergraduate plus four-year doctoral plus postdoctoral, hospital-based residency educational process currently in existence for health care providers. Podiatric physicians receive a substantial amount of training from MDs and DOs. Podiatric residents rotate through medical departments in JCAHO and AOA accredited hospitals.

Refreshing honesty for a change; this is a beautiful moment on SDN.

Amen