Difference between residency programs with or without CRNA's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoyaBlue02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between my top 2 residency programs and a major difference between the 2 is the presence/absence of CRNA's. What are the pluses and minuses of training at a place that has CRNA's?

Members don't see this ad.

+ they allow you to be used for more "educational" cases since the residents don't have to function as the primary work force.

I think CRNAs are a major plus for any residency program, as long as they're not doing regional blocks and they don't train a ton of SRNAs, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think CRNAs are a major plus for any residency program, as long as they're not doing regional blocks and they don't train a ton of SRNAs, too.

Agreed...in my experience it seemed like there were 3 types of programs...
1. All residents w/ few to no CRNAs, i.e. the workload simply could not be met without residents...seems like many or most academic programs are like this.
2. Residents cover a minority of the rooms, but the residency really cannot get any bigger, there are lots of SRNAs around, but still good cases for all kinds of providers...CCF is an example, I am conjecturing that Miami would be like that also.
3. Residents cover a minority of the rooms due to a smaller class size than the program could get (Mayo, WashU, Duke come to mind) intentionally so that residents get to hand-pick the best of the best cases.

I personally would shoot for the 3rd type or the 1st.

I am trying to decide between my top 2 residency programs and a major difference between the 2 is the presence/absence of CRNA's. What are the pluses and minuses of training at a place that has CRNA's?

It depends on the culture of the residency program, and on the number of CRNAs versus the number of residents.

At some residency programs the CRNAs relieve you; at others, you relieve the CRNAs. At some programs it is clear the CRNAs are there to support you (the residents). At others, residents are there to support the CRNAs no matter what the program tells you during interviews. They cost more than you (3 times as much) and they stay longer than you (indefinitely versus your three years). So the motivation to make sure they remain happy is high. The motivation to keep you happy as a resident is usually not as high, although a good program will manage to do this anyway.

The number of CRNAs versus the number of residents also matters. If CRNAs outnumber residents then they take most of the cases, and you will get cases appropriate to your education -- which will include some vac dressing changes and some PEG tube placements from time to time. If residents outnumber CRNAs then residents will take most of the cases -- which will also include some vac dressing changes and some PEG tube placements.

No matter where you go, you will not get juicy cases all the time, nor will you always get the awake intubations or the epidurals or the major vascular cases. Sometimes a CRNA will get assigned a boring case like a knee arthroscopy only to find out right before the procedure that the patient needs an awake intubation. Most people will not then substitute the CRNA with a resident for that. It's luck of the draw, and it goes day by day.

So at our place we have like 80 residents and a couple dozen CRNAs. When the schedule is made the day before, the CRNA on the service usually gets the room with the simplest cases and the residents get the more complex ones. The presence or absence of CRNAs makes little difference to me, although they do the vast majority of the trach-pegs.

There is no such thing as a case that is not educational -- doesn't matter if it's a vac dressing change or a lung transplant. You want a residency that provides a wide range of cases that include everything from the very simple to the very complex. You also want a residency that provides a wide range of patient ASA classes from very healthy to death's door. This is why I think that "cherry picking" cases is unrealistic. There are residencies that are rumored to have "enough" CRNAs to allow you to do all "juicy" cases. This is unrealistic. In your first week of residency your staff may be more comfortable assigning you the ASA I and giving the CRNA the ASA III. So you're not getting a "juicy" case, you are only getting the appropriate case for you and the CRNA is filling in the gap. In your last week of residency, the cases you think are "juicy" and the cases you think are "routine" and CRNA appropriate will be completely different.

You cannot do all complex cases/patients all the time with no simple cases/patients and expect to get a well rounded education. You need to see a bit of everything and that includes some cases that are routinely assigned to CRNAs (but you can still be glad they're present to take these cases most of the time).

Last edited:
Our department has excellent CRNAs, residents do all the "good cases," and having them around allows you to go home at a decent hour rather than twiddling your thumbs during some marathon hand case while your family waits for you at home.

Hooray for CRNAs, I say, as long as you aren't competing with them for stuff.

Our department has excellent CRNAs, residents do all the "good cases," and having them around allows you to go home at a decent hour rather than twiddling your thumbs during some marathon hand case while your family waits for you at home.

Hooray for CRNAs, I say, as long as you aren't competing with them for stuff.

what's a 'decent hour' ? 5 or 6?

There's a good chance that you'll have to interact with CRNAs sooner or later in your career as an attending, so I would recommend going to a program that has them. However, I agree with above poster that I would steer clear of a program that is also training SRNAs.

I also agree with sentiments that you need experience with "little cases" as well as "big cases," just so long as there is not too much of a tendency for the faculty to want to take the easy route and let the experienced CRNAs do the more difficult cases.

There's a good chance that you'll have to interact with CRNAs sooner or later in your career as an attending, so I would recommend going to a program that has them. However, I agree with above poster that I would steer clear of a program that is also training SRNAs.

I also agree with sentiments that you need experience with "little cases" as well as "big cases," just so long as there is not too much of a tendency for the faculty to want to take the easy route and let the experienced CRNAs do the more difficult cases.

Great advice!

+ and - : you get to meet the people who are going to be doing your job, unsupervised, in a decade. it's kind of like looking death in the eye.
knocks you down a peg or two when you have a complex case and then you're relieved by a nurse.

Members don't see this ad :)
With SRNAs, there is a greater pool of chicks you can potentially bang. That's about the only + I can think of....

Problem being that at our program it is about 50/50 male to femal SRNA's. and then only 6 total, so then one of them actually hot. oh sjit and she is married, g0 ahead jump on the grenade and do the fat one, whatever, such is life. experience the experience.

buhhahahahhah not at my program we relieve them promptly at 315 and 5 pm. They are so pampered.......

Agree - we get them out mostly by 5. Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would have gone the CRNA route. At my institution, they work approximately 40 hours a week. NO weekends, NO call, NO overnights. Make about 150K. That is sweet! And, they think they work really hard ..... P-l-e-a-s-e

"+ they allow you to be used for more "educational" cases since the residents don't have to function as the primary work force.

I think CRNAs are a major plus for any residency program, as long as they're not doing regional blocks and they don't train a ton of SRNAs, too."

UW Seattle is opposite. Residents are the work force to train CRNAs. CRNAs get many of the blocks n' the residents get the busy work. :( So many attendings from outside the states and they can only work at University, seems they're afraid to stand up to the CRNAs. Might get fired and have to go home. Screws the residents but great for CRNAs.

UW Seattle is opposite. Residents are the work force to train CRNAs. CRNAs get many of the blocks n' the residents get the busy work. :( So many attendings from outside the states and they can only work at University, seems they're afraid to stand up to the CRNAs. Might get fired and have to go home. Screws the residents but great for CRNAs.

:eek: This is University of Washington in Seattle? I'm astounded.

Agree for the most part with comments previously made - it depends on the relationship the training program has with your CRNA's which sometimes varies by attending as well. CRNA's at our institution take call - thereby freeing up some call time. Our CRNA's also have differing shift-end times thereby allowing some to free up our call team for dinner sometimes before heading home.

At some residency programs the CRNAs relieve you; at others, you relieve the CRNAs. At some programs it is clear the CRNAs are there to support you (the residents). At others, residents are there to support the CRNAs no matter what the program tells you during interviews. They cost more than you (3 times as much) and they stay longer than you (indefinitely versus your three years). So the motivation to make sure they remain happy is high. The motivation to keep you happy as a resident is usually not as high, although a good program will manage to do this anyway.

This has been my experience.

-copro

We have a couple CRNA employes at my hospital, they are very pleasent, nonpolitical, and they decrease the work load by two rooms during the day. At the VA, there is a bunch of them, as well as a couple rotating srnas - they generally get the best cases, do the blocks, and we are there to make their job easier. I'd much rather work more hours, not get my lunch on time, or whatever, than to have a bunch of crna politics to deal with. You cant have it both ways, if youre on the fence between a program with or without a large crna or srna group, than I say grow some backbone and go to an all md program.

It may be best to ask the residents at the program. I'm very up front when asked about how the CRNA/resident relationship is at our program.

On an average day, 2/3 of the rooms are CRNAs, 1/3 residents. Residents get the better, more interesting and challenging cases. I'll be damned if any CRNA gets to do any block, EVER. That is MD territory, period. On rare occasions, CRNAs cover OB if no resident is available, but I don't see any of us clamoring for more OB experience.

We are very consistently relieved from our rooms by CRNAs between 3 and 4. If there are several rooms still going, a couple of us may be stuck until 5.

At any given time, there are 1-2 SRNAs, and they stick to CRNA supervision. Residents tend to get lunch/break relief by attendings, and CRNAs take care of their own breaks.

I'm quite happy with how CRNAs are integrated into our program. They are a great work supply which allow us to have friendly hours and hand pick the best cases.

"+ they allow you to be used for more "educational" cases since the residents don't have to function as the primary work force.

I think CRNAs are a major plus for any residency program, as long as they're not doing regional blocks and they don't train a ton of SRNAs, too."

This is yet another problem with anesthesia. Too many foreign grads in academic places who are there waiting for the "green card". They clearly have a vested interest in being liked by the CRNAs and get along so they go out of their way to teach them and weaken the specialty even more. Academic centers love foreign grads because they can lowball them in salary and they know they got them locked-in since they can't flock to private practice as they are only on a visa. On top of that, they entice them with the idea of giving them permanent resident status (green card) which a pathway to U.S citizenship and they are staying put. Once they get their green card, they can move on to private practice.

Last edited:

This is what I have heard from a classmate who did an away rotation and interviewed at UW.