Difference between withdrawing or switching to pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ButAtYourBest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does switching to pass/fail (aka credit/no credit) look much better than withdrawing from a course?

The deadline to change to pass/fail is before my next exam while the deadline for withdrawal is about a month later. So the one advantage for withdrawing is that I could make the decision after taking the next exam (and waiting to see if I get a miraculous perfect score).

I'm so mad at myself.

I easily got an 'A' in Physics I. However, this semester I had a lot of problems and I fell way behind on my schoolwork (I had to move twice and am still having issues with my living situation that won't get resolved for another month).

I bombed the first Physics II exam. Even if I ace the next two exams, I still might be stuck with a 'B' in the class. I know a 'B' isn't the end of the world, but this has been and should have been my strong subject. I'm frustrated because this could have been a slam dunk 'A' for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure you can't pass/fail a prereq. Just take the B, it's not the end of the world

Members don't see this ad :)
A W vs P really doesn't matter much. If you are pretty confident you can get a B, keep going. If not, I would take the W and retry next round. Why work for a P when it doesn't get you anything anyway?

yeah, let me clarify, i intended on PASSING then re-taking the class later for a grade.