Difference in Evaluation Ability Between LCSW & PhD/PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMan2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reading this.

I am trying to decide between the various degrees and have come to the ever popular MSW/LCSW vs PsyD vs Phd consideration.

From what I understand, one of the largest differences in ability is that doctorates can evaluate and diagnose while MSW/LCSW cannot.

I don't completely understand what the process of "evaluating" and "diagnosing" entails and was hoping that someone here could provide some insight.

It seems to me that a MSW/LCSW can listen to a patient and formulate an idea of what the issue is and how that factors into a treatment plan without officially "evaluating" or "diagnosing" them.

Does this mean that MSW/LCSW can not bill for a "diagnosis", is diagnosing even a billable claim? Or does diagnosing/evaluating simply refer to the practice of administering specific tests and determining specific diagnosis based on those tests?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Psychologists receive training in psychometrics, test theory/construction, and psychological assessment. They are trained to use specific psychological tests that require skill and specialized knowledge to use appropriately. These are all helpful skills for diagnosis, conceptualization, and treatment planning.

As far as I know, clinical social workers can bill under a specific diagnosis, but they have a limited range of diagnostic assessment tools and less supervised experience overall prior to licensure.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems to me that a MSW/LCSW can listen to a patient and formulate an idea of what the issue is and how that factors into a treatment plan without officially "evaluating" or "diagnosing" them.

One thing you always need to consider is the difference between "can" and "should." People can very easily talk themselves into letting their scope of practice creep out ever farther than it should be. This happens at every level of training, from "psychotherapists" with very little formal training to licensed psychologists doing neuropsych assessments without a strong background in the specialty. It's important to be brutally honest with yourself about what your actual expertise is and how rigorous your training was before trying to convince yourself that you now "enough" to do things beyond your scope.

Reactions: 2 users
Broadly, diagnosis and evaluation generally refer to skills that clinical SW/master's level therapists are trained in. It's basically saying "you can understand and diagnose mental illness" and yes, you can bill at the master's level if you are licensed.
Doctoral level practitioners have more years of training and can provide more specialized assessments (if trained in them) to capture the more nuanced diagnoses or assess personality disorders, learning disabilities, etc. But specifically to counsel, this isn't a requirement of state licensing boards, although more training is certainly an advantage and provides a broader/deeper knowledge base to practice from.

Reactions: 1 users