difference in PA programs? Certificate vs. Bachelors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsrimport

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to become a PA if you already have a BA/BS degree in another subject, what do you need to do? I know there are a few approaches such as going into a MPA program. However, can you just go through a certification program and become a PA? Are there accelerated BPA programs? I appreciate your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard of an accelerated PA program and most take about 2 years. Part of what you need to do post BA/BS is to get hands on medical experience. I don't think all schools require this, but it is to your benefit. You also have to have some science coursework... I don't know what your BA/BS is in, but most programs require at least Anatomy and Phisiology (these can be taken at local community college.... like me).

As for the difference between BPA or CPA I am not sure if there is one except in the bredth of training. Its all about that resume when you are done.

-Good Luck

Although having previous degrees may be beneficial in getting you into PA school, it will not shorten your coursework, if that's what you are asking. There are no accellerated PA programs that I know of. One guy in my class was a pharm D and didn't have to take pharm, but that's the only type of exception I know of. Master's programs are typically 2-3 years in length. Bachelor's programs are typically 2 years in length if you have the prereq's, 4 years if you don't.
You could go to a certificate program if you already have a degree, but this will likely not shorten your length of schooling. Plan for 2-3 years regardless of what degree you have going in.
Pat

Members don't see this ad :)
...this is one reason why those of us on the "outside" who are coming in to medical fields, and could really go the MD/DO -or- the PA route, have no particular advantage in one over the other. It's going to be pre-reqs and work experience, then 3 or 4 years of school, either way.

Febrifuge said:
...this is one reason why those of us on the "outside" who are coming in to medical fields, and could really go the MD/DO -or- the PA route, have no particular advantage in one over the other. It's going to be pre-reqs and work experience, then 3 or 4 years of school, either way.

Actually what it's going to be for MD/DO is what you said, plus 3 or more years in a residency limiting you to practice in that specialty unless you do another residency. PA's can switch specialties freely and do not have to do a residency. So, there is really a time requirement difference. Just setting the record straight.
Pat

Excellent point. My understanding is, an MD/DO who does residency training is locked in to that specialty (or faces re-training in another one), but will someday be the boss. A PA can stay flexible, switching specialties without pushing the 'RESET' button on their career, but will never be the boss. Hmmm. Interesting.

I would think the BA vs. MS nature of the PA program probably does not change that, right? An MS-trained PA isn't necessarily more 'locked in' to a specialty, right?

There really isn't a difference in getting a bachelor's vs. master's degrees in PA. The education & training is the same, but master's students must take the GRE plus do some additional master's related classes/projects during the 1st year of coursework and/or 2nd year of rotations (depending on the program). The bachelor's degree is being phased out because the intensity & curriculum of a PA program is really at a graduate degree level. Most people who apply already have their bachelor's degree anyways. PA's are taught to be generalists in their profession and don't have to go to a specialty unless they really want to. I'm a PA student in the last bachelor class of my program because I already have a masters (but am not accelerated in any way) and plan to work in different specialties such as EM & Peds.