Differences between 4 Hofstra OB/GYN residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Amily

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On ERAS I saw four separate Hofstra Northwell OB/GYN residency programs listed (Southside Hospital, Lenox Hill, Manhasset, and Staten Island). I'm not from New York, but am interested in applying to programs in NYC, and was wondering how each of these programs are similar/different? Are they all part of Hofstra Medical School? Are some of these programs better than others? more competitive than others? What are the pros and cons of each?

Members don't see this ad.

Same question! It seemed to me like the Manhasset program might be the main program or the largest of the programs, but I'm not too sure. Anyone able to better compare these programs?

So here's the inside scoop from a med student friend who lives in NY: The flagship program at Northshore/Long Island Jewish is the largest with ten residents per class (+2 prelim interns). They split their time between the two hospitals (both facilities are gorgeous), get a ton of OB volume, and serve a mix of more affluent patients at Northshore and a ethnically and socioeconomically diverse patient population at LIJ. Almost all, if not all residents are AMGs, and many from NY. Interns don't do C-sections, and surgical experience is limited until second year. Ryan program. Fellowship is very achievable from this program.

Lenox Hill is a smaller program, 4 per class, and has a more intimate, close knit community feel. Residents generally seem pretty happy. Almost all their time is spent at Lenox Hill Hospital and they serve a fairly affluent patient population in Upper East Side Manhattan. Almost all, if not all residents are AMGs, many (though not all) East Coasters. Lots of OB and GYN volume. Interns do c-sections from day 1. Most of first year is spent in OB, with little exposure to gyn/off service rotations. Not a ryan program. Fellowship is attainable from this program.

Staten Island is also a smaller program. Hospital is run down, and residents are not known for being very happy in their program. Mostly IMGs, some originally from NY. Patient population is very diverse. Not a ryan program. Most residents do general OB/GYN, though fellowship is possible.

Southside is a brand new program and my friend didn't have any information about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anybody talk about Southside's brand new program? I just got accepted for an away rotation in ObGyn there and I want to learn more about it... Anyone?