Differences between different kaplan versions/editions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that for the Kaplan study at home books, Kaplan Comprehensive review, MCAT 45, and MCAT practice tests, that the newer versions are not different from the other ones?

I'm looking into buying some kaplan home study books and quite frankly the older stuff is much cheaper and if the above is true then i'll just go ahead and buy the older stuff.

Anyone have any opinion on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Comprehensive Review is almost identical every year. Personally I had 6th edition from 2002 and, checking it with the newest edition at the bookstore, I believe every topic was the same and the books were the same number of pages in length. Even the practice problem sets had the exact same questions. I assume any differences between editions is probably in typos here and there. I dunno about the other books, although I assume it will be similar.

By the way, if you're trying to study for this August's MCAT, by this point I wouldn't suggest going with the Kaplan book. Kaplan has a lot of material but examkrackers does a better job of explaining concepts so you retain it and it has practice problems throughout each chapter to make sure you understand what you read.

hnbui said:
Is it true that for the Kaplan study at home books, Kaplan Comprehensive review, MCAT 45, and MCAT practice tests, that the newer versions are not different from the other ones?

I'm looking into buying some kaplan home study books and quite frankly the older stuff is much cheaper and if the above is true then i'll just go ahead and buy the older stuff.

Anyone have any opinion on this?

they don't change. The previous poster is correct, go with EK if you are preparing for the aug. exam.