Differences between MD and a degree in nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Murrrr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm worried that my GPA will be a major set back for me this cycle, being a 3.4. I'm currently a year away from graduating with an honours in Biology at a Canadian institution and i'm thinking about back-up programs to apply to. I've given nursing and biomedical engineering a lot of thought.. a part of me would even like to pursue both at once.

I'm mainly interested in nursing because I want to learn about human physiology, anatomy and put the art of treating the human body to practice, even if it's at a relatively basal level. I figure that even while pursing the degree, I could still attempt getting into medical school. If that fails, I'll at least (kind of) be pursuing my dream.

Would any one care to shed some light on the non-obvious discrepancies between nurses and doctors, in terms of: what they learn, what they practice. It would also be interesting to know about what potential personal challenges arise within a person who initially intended to pursue an MD, but ended up pursuing nursing.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe some volunteer experience would help point you in the right direction. Midlevel (PA or NP) might be an option.