Differences between MD/PhD and DO/PhD programs?

Started by ravupadh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ravupadh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am interested in knowing whether there are any substantial differences between physician scientist programs at allopathic medical schools and osteopathic medical schools. Is your research restricted to osteopathic medicine for a DO/PhD program? And I'm guessing stipends/tuition remission policies would be different because of funding issues.

Also, does a DO/PhD physician scientist have the same opportunities as an MD/PhD physician scientist? I'm willing to take the DO/PhD route since I plan on going to UMDNJ-SOM but I'm worried that once I'm done with school I'll be at a disadvantage compared to my MD/PhD counterparts. I just want to have the same realm of control in terms of research as my counterparts. I don't want to be denied for a grant just because I'm a DO and not an MD. Any input on this would be appreciated.