Differences between Navy and AF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xatlasb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am brand new to SDN and am very interested in applying for HPSP. I've tried looking online and talking to some friends, but figured I'd ask everyone here as well.

What are the differences between HPSP in AF vs Navy? The general trend I have heard is that AF is better than Navy and that it is definitely more competitive for AF than Navy.

I heard that Navy has a $20,000 signing bonus but AF does not.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what is the difference in terms of the two programs (what do they make you do during your 4 years, do you have any say in where you get to be stationed, etc.)

Also I'm a 3rd year at UCLA right now and will be taking DAT in April and applying for the Fall of 2014 cycle. Is it too early to start applying for HPSP for either branch?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I am brand new to SDN and am very interested in applying for HPSP. I've tried looking online and talking to some friends, but figured I'd ask everyone here as well.

What are the differences between HPSP in AF vs Navy? The general trend I have heard is that AF is better than Navy and that it is definitely more competitive for AF than Navy.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what is the difference in terms of the two programs (what do they make you do during your 4 years, do you have any say in where you get to be stationed, etc.)

Also I'm a 3rd year at UCLA right now and will be taking DAT in April and applying for the Fall of 2014 cycle. Is it too early to start applying for HPSP for either branch?

What about Army? You should apply at the same time you start receiving interviews.

Hey everyone,

I can't give you much information since I'm only an applicant myself. All I know is, it is never too late to start applying for HPSP; however, it depends upon your recruiter. Mine would not let me apply until I received an acceptance letter from somewhere, as an acceptance is necessary to be considered for the scholarship. Nevertheless, others have been able to apply early and get everything gathered before receiving an acceptance. Depends on your recruiter, I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the AF you work on active duty people from all branches ( I assume it is the same for the navy). You do not get to choose where you are stationed and the tour is usually 3-4 years. Also, you will more than likely be shipped to Europe or Asia. This morning I had my phone interview and I learned that. I've already been selected for the army hpsp and will probably be commissioned before the AF board meets. I'm going to ask if they'll let me postpone it until I get a decision from the AF but idk how that will go

In the AF you work on active duty people from all branches ( I assume it is the same for the navy). You do not get to choose where you are stationed and the tour is usually 3-4 years. Also, you will more than likely be shipped to Europe or Asia. This morning I had my phone interview and I learned that. I've already been selected for the army hpsp and will probably be commissioned before the AF board meets. I'm going to ask if they'll let me postpone it until I get a decision from the AF but idk how that will go

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Do you know when we will hear back from AF?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Do you know when we will hear back from AF?

I know the AF board meets Feb 15..but I have no idea how long it'll take for them to let us know. For example, the army met Jan 15 but I just found out I was chosen 2 days ago.
When are you scheduled to commission? Im supposed to next week

I asked them to give me some time and that I'll answer them at the end of march. I'm actually okay for both. That 20k sign in bonus will definitely help me and my family a lot though haha but i still want options first.

Technically, you don't choose where you are assigned, but you do give input. Our assignments office will give you a list of openings and you get a chance to rank order them. They will work hard to get you something high on your list.

You are not likely to go to Europe or Asia without going to an AEGD or specialty program first.