Differences in Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihopeigetin??

Reaction score
Hi!

My acceptances and denials have been all over the place. I am a pretty average student (3.65 GPA, 1000+ observation and low GRE: V:148 Q:146 AW:4.5). However, I have received an acceptance to a pretty competitive program and multiple interviews at others. On the other hand, I have received straight up denials and waitlist positions to interview at some programs. I feel like my application process has been so inconsistent. Has anyone else experienced the same?

Members don't see this ad.

That has been my case too. I think different schools put more emphasis on different parts of the application. Some may care more about GPA while others may care more about your essays. Some schools also prefer in state over out of state students.

Yeah, I really don't think that there's a one-size-fits-all student that they're all looking for. I get the feeling each is looking for something, but it's not always the same thing. One school was so excited to get my app they didn't wait for the interview, and others took a look and said, "meh... maybe? Iunno." It really depends on what part of the app they scrutinize. Essays? Life story? GRE? I'm killer- got a 326 my first try. But GPA? Intern experiences? Mental health track record? Not so impressive, and some schools probably see me as a risk rather than a sure thing. Every school wants something, and in my case those who want the security of a certain kind of student aren't going to feel comfortable choosing me even with some standout features.

Accept that there are definitely people who want you out there, and be proud of your acceptances and interviews! :)

Reactions: 1 users
That has been my case too. I think different schools put more emphasis on different parts of the application. Some may care more about GPA while others may care more about your essays. Some schools also prefer in state over out of state students.

I am TOTALLY with you on this.