Different "Approach" to Learning...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

itsallgood19

Hi all,

so as my time to begin POD school narrows down, I've been hearing a lot of people just telling me that I will have to get used to a new approach to learning in pod school as opposed to in undergrad, and at a faster level with more information. I was just wondering if any current students could give me any insight as to how one transitions to this new type of learning and if you feel it just happened naturally upon your own entry into POD school. I'm just asking this because I'm so curious as to how us new students will come to adapt to the new level and quantity of difficulty (especially by the time the first exam comes around). Is it just one of those things where you will have to take a few exams to feel comfortable about to approach new ways of studying and all?

Any advice and insight would be EXTREMELY appreciated, i'm just a little apprehensive about this new learning transition. I am willing to put in the time to study I just want to make sure I have some idea of what it will be like once I enter POD school this fall. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Google "how to study in med school". Basically more info, way faster than undergrad, and you have to be able to apply as opposed to to just regurgitate. Undergrad is a bunch of first order questions, pod med will be almost all 2nd/3rd order type questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I felt the same way you are when I first started. I don't think you really figure out how to study for school like this until you actually start. I'm in my 3rd year now and I still ask myself if my style of studying is actually efficient or conducive to learning. You will figure out what works for you, it may take some time. Some of my classmates use the method they used to use in undergrad and are doing fine. In undergrad I would re-write all my notes and read out of textbooks. Here you just don't have that kind of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
so as my time to begin POD school narrows down, I've been hearing a lot of people just telling me that I will have to get used to a new approach to learning in pod school as opposed to in undergrad, and at a faster level with more information. I was just wondering if any current students could give me any insight as to how one transitions to this new type of learning and if you feel it just happened naturally upon your own entry into POD school. I'm just asking this because I'm so curious as to how us new students will come to adapt to the new level and quantity of difficulty (especially by the time the first exam comes around). Is it just one of those things where you will have to take a few exams to feel comfortable about to approach new ways of studying and all?
I felt the same way you are when I first started. I don't think you really figure out how to study for school like this until you actually start.
It's usually a combination of how you studied in undergraduate that you then adapt to eliminate all unnecessary use of time. I think the biggest favor you can do for yourself is eliminate as many distractions as possible for while you're in school, especially at the beginning, so that you can make sure all your focus is applied to the material and you have time to find what methods work for you. The demands only get more difficult as school progresses through the first two years, so making sure you nail down good study habits from the beginning is essential for your success. Best of luck.

The truth is that everybody studies differently and there is not one way to study a course or material. My advice is to not study the way you study in undergrad - it is a whole new ball game. It will be a step up in the game 2-3X the extreme. The way you study in undergrad may not work in podiatry school. For example, if you use flash cards it may be too time consuming to do it for the courses you take in pod school. You will have to find the best way that is efficient for you to attain the material in a timely manner. The key is to study diligently and don't fall behind. It can be a snowball effect and become a huge avalanche when it comes to exam time. Transition from undergrad to graduate school is huge and everyone transitions differently. You just have to be prepared for it and give it your best. One thing is don't follow what other people are doing. Do what you are comfortable with and best fit the way you study. Some people like group study, and it may not work for you. Some like making charts and table or study guides, and it may not be your thing. Podiatry school is NOT a time for you to experiment on studying strategy. You may have to shift or transition a bit (however, do it fast), but it is a time to utilize what works best for you and you do it day in and day out. Seek help when you feel you need it, and do it ASAP. Don't wait till the end (finals) to seek help. Ask questions to upper classmen about anything you are not sure or if you need advice. "Don't be shy...step into the light." You will be overwhelmed at first, but take it a step at a time. If you study diligently, you will do fine.

Exams will be a lot harder compared to undergrad. As Sartorius POD stated above, it will require thinking and putting concepts together (2nd/3rd order type) and also K-type questions (A & B, none of the above, all of the above) too. The more you know, the better you are. One thing every student has to go through is anatomy (both gross anatomy and lower anatomy courses). There's a written AND practical portion of the exam. A lot of students don't like the practical portion because it is timed (~60 seconds) and fill in the blank as you rotate through stations with tagged questions. This can create huge test anxiety and frustrations for a lot of people. Many describe it as "military-like" as it feels like torture to them. As I said, be prepared and do the study diligently. Don't cram.

You will feel depressed. I know I had depression during my first year, but I got through it. It can take a toll on you and you have to find ways to overcome it (i.e. exercise, reading, drawing, music, etc.). Classes will drain you as you sit through them from 8-5, depending on the schedule. The hardest part is finding the best time to study and review your notes when you get home, as you are tired throughout the day already.

Reactions: 1 users
You will feel depressed. I know I had depression during my first year, but I got through it. It can take a toll on you and you have to find ways to overcome it (i.e. exercise, reading, drawing, music, etc.). Classes will drain you as you sit through them from 8-5, depending on the schedule. The hardest part is finding the best time to study and review your notes when you get home, as you are tired throughout the day already.
I would also like to echo that you should not compare your results to others as well. The course director will post the exam average as 82% and everyone you talk to will say they got a 94. Big difference between Podmed and undergrad is that you are in a sense competing with everyone for residency and people want you to think they are ahead of the curve and lie like crazy about their grades and rank.

Many people in first year come from undergrad and were 4.0 students and expect to duplicate those results. They get below average on a few exams, feel like the world is coming to an end and start getting behind and/or giving up a little and really struggle when in reality they were doing just fine. I know even some of the top people in our class got a few Cs . Just keep doing your best and power through it

My brother finished med school with close to a 4.0 GPA, his advice to me before starting was to basically just keep a schedule and never fall behind. Go to class, take notes, come home and go over notes again+anything you didn't understand, repeat each day, and then on the weekends do a review of everything you learned that week and keep repeating until exam day. He said using this method not only allowed him to ace his exams, but also retain everything he learned and didn't have to study like crazy for his boards (which he also crushed). No clue if this method will be successfully for me as I haven't started yet :p, but I will give it a try and will see where i need to make adjustments (such as maybe group study, flash cards, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Just want to thank you all for your insight into my questions about this issue. I will try my best to adapt to the new load of material right when school starts, and I will keep an open mind in terms of new approaches to tidying but try my best to get comfortable with one as fast as possible.

I'm really anxious to start in august and see how this is, but also trying to enjoy my time off!! Thanks again!!

(1) If you were given a handout (which is usually a condensed version of the textbook created by your teacher and hopefully rewritten in a manner that is reasonably straightforward to read) then read it at least 3+ times. My experience - everything you need is in there.
(2) I am personally of the opinion that "rewriting" handouts is a waste of time at best and a horrible/destructive idea at worst. If the instructor wrote the handout then they chose their words carefully - they wanted to say it the way they did. You may not capture the significance of their words in your reproduction. Their handout will likely contain a greater amount of detail than any summary you choose to create and study from. Occasionally, I like the idea of creating a handout for lectures that are incomplete, out of order, or have significant additions made in lecture that are not captured in the handout, but most of the time I don't believe this is necessary. Write down the big words and the key phrases for yourself - I mean that - the act of writing words down is like another form of memory. If a concept is explained - draw it out in pictures. Draw charts showing how decreases in one aspect change the concentrations or frequencies of other events. Come up with your own questions - read things and rephrase them in the form of a question.
(3) If lecture isn't mandatory and is recorded - skip it. Watch it later on 2X after you have read the handout. It should be nothing new then. Class is an easy place to become distracted and complicated subjects often need to be listened to again on the computer. I frequently jump back and listen to something 3-4 times trying to make sure I understood the point they were making.
(4) If you are discussing a pathway - focus on the regulatory steps. If there's a connection between 2 pathways - understand exactly how they interact. So if you read a few different chapters and see an enzyme appears in any earlier chapter and now a later chapter - connect them together.
(5) If an enzyme/cofactor/whatever causes a specific illness or deficiency - know it. Classes tend to be clinically oriented.
(6) If there's a graph given - explain to yourself exactly what is happening on the Y axis as the X axis changes, what are the X and Y axis, etc. What I specifically mean is - if you see that the curve starts off flat and then is elevated and then depressed - understand exactly why the transitions are occurring - why the behavior is changing. Examples of this would be the behavior of the efferent/afferent arteries in the kidneys, or the differences in the pressure curves of the heart between healthy and failure.
(7) If you go to DMU then your lower limb anatomy practical is -written- with no multiple-choice (there's multiple choice on the lecture test). You absolutely must work on writing the structures over, and over, and over again. Make them a part of your vocabulary. This isn't microbiology where you can make a quick association in your mind with some of the rare flukes and pick it out of a line-up. The words need to flow off your tongue.
(8) Do not get tied up in the seeming beauty of mnemonics and easily forgotten associations. Everyone has a laugh, but if you actually learn the material then these really aren't that useful. Its way easier to just learn the material. I think quick associations are useful for silly one-offs (E6/E7 in HPV correlates to p56/retinoblastoma), but ideally you won't make a habit of them for the important things.
(9) You will be tested upon the important things over and over again. You might as well learn the clotting cascade as soon as possible because its going to come up like.. 8 times.
(10) Look at as many bodies as possible in anatomy - gross and lower limb. Look at everything that is in the anatomy labs. Check out every single model, every single bone, every single foot in a container. At some point they will all be tagged and you may find yourself looking at a foot that just doesn't make sense - until you realize they've stripped off structures or layers to better demonstrate something. Better to make that association before the test that in the 60 seconds during the test.
(11) Time your physical diagnosis practices. You may be slower than you think you are. The patient may be less compliant than your friend is.
(12) I'm of the opinion that a solid schedule and a reasonable sleep pattern produces solid results. I do not cram. I do not stay up till 5 in the morning the night of tests.
(13) The last lecture of a test block may be 1 day before or the day before a test. It would behoove you to have already read through everything rather than waiting for that lecture to come. If you are reading something for the first time before a test then you may be in trouble. Sometimes the last lecture is a cake-walk and sometimes its the most complicated lecture yet.
(14) Don't be afraid to look up things that appear in your handout in Google.
(15) Your friends in class are good people and mean well, but verify anything you hear. I've been helped by people, but I've also heard horrible misinformation.
(16) Don't bother discussing your grades with other people. There just isn't anything to be gained from it.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, I really appreciate you taking the time out to write out all of these pointers! You definitely hit the nail on the head with that response, and I'll take a lot of the pointers into consideration come this fall!

(1) If you were given a handout (which is usually a condensed version of the textbook created by your teacher and hopefully rewritten in a manner that is reasonably straightforward to read) then read it at least 3+ times. My experience - everything you need is in there.
(2) I am personally of the opinion that "rewriting" handouts is a waste of time at best and a horrible/destructive idea at worst. If the instructor wrote the handout then they chose their words carefully - they wanted to say it the way they did. You may not capture the significance of their words in your reproduction. Their handout will likely contain a greater amount of detail than any summary you choose to create and study from. Occasionally, I like the idea of creating a handout for lectures that are incomplete, out of order, or have significant additions made in lecture that are not captured in the handout, but most of the time I don't believe this is necessary. Write down the big words and the key phrases for yourself - I mean that - the act of writing words down is like another form of memory. If a concept is explained - draw it out in pictures. Draw charts showing how decreases in one aspect change the concentrations or frequencies of other events. Come up with your own questions - read things and rephrase them in the form of a question.
(3) If lecture isn't mandatory and is recorded - skip it. Watch it later on 2X after you have read the handout. It should be nothing new then. Class is an easy place to become distracted and complicated subjects often need to be listened to again on the computer. I frequently jump back and listen to something 3-4 times trying to make sure I understood the point they were making.
(4) If you are discussing a pathway - focus on the regulatory steps. If there's a connection between 2 pathways - understand exactly how they interact. So if you read a few different chapters and see an enzyme appears in any earlier chapter and now a later chapter - connect them together.
(5) If an enzyme/cofactor/whatever causes a specific illness or deficiency - know it. Classes tend to be clinically oriented.
(6) If there's a graph given - explain to yourself exactly what is happening on the Y axis as the X axis changes, what are the X and Y axis, etc. What I specifically mean is - if you see that the curve starts off flat and then is elevated and then depressed - understand exactly why the transitions are occurring - why the behavior is changing. Examples of this would be the behavior of the efferent/afferent arteries in the kidneys, or the differences in the pressure curves of the heart between healthy and failure.
(7) If you go to DMU then your lower limb anatomy practical is -written- with no multiple-choice (there's multiple choice on the lecture test). You absolutely must work on writing the structures over, and over, and over again. Make them a part of your vocabulary. This isn't microbiology where you can make a quick association in your mind with some of the rare flukes and pick it out of a line-up. The words need to flow off your tongue.
(8) Do not get tied up in the seeming beauty of mnemonics and easily forgotten associations. Everyone has a laugh, but if you actually learn the material then these really aren't that useful. Its way easier to just learn the material. I think quick associations are useful for silly one-offs (E6/E7 in HPV correlates to p56/retinoblastoma), but ideally you won't make a habit of them for the important things.
(9) You will be tested upon the important things over and over again. You might as well learn the clotting cascade as soon as possible because its going to come up like.. 8 times.
(10) Look at as many bodies as possible in anatomy - gross and lower limb. Look at everything that is in the anatomy labs. Check out every single model, every single bone, every single foot in a container. At some point they will all be tagged and you may find yourself looking at a foot that just doesn't make sense - until you realize they've stripped off structures or layers to better demonstrate something. Better to make that association before the test that in the 60 seconds during the test.
(11) Time your physical diagnosis practices. You may be slower than you think you are. The patient may be less compliant than your friend is.
(12) I'm of the opinion that a solid schedule and a reasonable sleep pattern produces solid results. I do not cram. I do not stay up till 5 in the morning the night of tests.
(13) The last lecture of a test block may be 1 day before or the day before a test. It would behoove you to have already read through everything rather than waiting for that lecture to come. If you are reading something for the first time before a test then you may be in trouble. Sometimes the last lecture is a cake-walk and sometimes its the most complicated lecture yet.
(14) Don't be afraid to look up things that appear in your handout in Google.
(15) Your friends in class are good people and mean well, but verify anything you hear. I've been helped by people, but I've also heard horrible misinformation.
(16) Don't bother discussing your grades with other people. There just isn't anything to be gained from it.
Lots of good advice here. I'd add some caveats:
- skipping lecture is not a good idea for many students, even if they are recorded; there's virtue (and grades) to making the effort to show up, learn, then hit the books afterwards
- while many advocate spending a lot of time in anatomy lab, this can be a major waste of time; my advice would be to learn the anatomy on paper very well, then spend enough time in the lab to go through all the structures on your body a couple times with only a little time spent on looking at others (anatomy practicals are written identification here, too, so that's probably the norm for podiatry)
- some mnemonics are really classic and will be helpful for boards/permanent memory, particularly for pathologies, so don't ignore them entirely (e.g., DIG for Plummer-Vinson, CRAB for multiple myeloma, CREST for limited scleroderma, etc.)
- handouts are good for first year, but mostly a waste of time in second year depending on the class and school (only worth the time to some degree in pharmacology for second year, in my experience)

For future readers - these are mostly just minor differences of opinion possibly based on differences in the school you attended.

Let's clarify a few things on anatomy for future students. You'll have lecture, you'll have mandatory anatomy lab, and you'll have weekends and evenings to go in there and cover extra stuff. I personally prefer to know the lecture readings well before committing extra time/weekends to lab. For the purpose of going to lab - the whole thing will feel like a waste of time if you haven't already spent some time in the dissection guide (assuming you have one). The dissection guide will be a book describing where to make the cuts to find the structures that need to be found and will hopefully contain a master list of structures that you will be expected to identify during the practical.

As for looking at other bodies - on the practical exam the most structures you are going to see tagged on any individual body is probably ..3. I feel I've benefited from looking at other bodies and I've definitely benefited from asking other students - "what did the professor think was really well demonstrated on your body". When you get to school you are going to find that the bodies all look sort of different. Some structures will be larger or smaller or better demonstrated. Hopefully the professors will pick things that are the perfect demonstration of each structure. Last thought - sort of irrelevant, but I've actually had classmates say they do all their learning in the anatomy lab. To each their own.

When I said mnemonics I'm referring to the overly-funny/sexual one's like Some Say Marry Money etc. At the end of neuroanatomy I looked back on cranial nerves and wondered why I wasted my time with tricks and didn't just learn the material instead. CREST is an acronym, not a mnemonic.

Handouts are essential at DMU for all of 1st year and pharmacology/lower limb in 2nd year. No other second year class consistently has handouts that I remember.

The only perk to going to class is that you have to get up at a reasonable hour. I've gone to class and seen what people do (how productive could I be if I was doing this). A room of facebook screens. A wasted drive to school/drive home. A lecture that goes on 10 minutes too long for most people. Topics in which you can easily get lost. Hyper-gunners keeping you trapped when you want to go to the bathroom asking stupid questions that they could frigging Google or look-up in the reading or Access Medicine. Most people would be better of skipping class, group study, whatever and just spend more time reading the books.

The value of going to class is highly variable based on the class, lecture, and who is teaching that day IMO.

For future readers - these are mostly just minor differences of opinion possibly based on differences in the school you attended.
[...]
I feel I've benefited from looking at other bodies and I've definitely benefited from asking other students - "what did the professor think was really well demonstrated on your body". When you get to school you are going to find that the bodies all look sort of different. Some structures will be larger or smaller or better demonstrated.
[...]
CREST is an acronym, not a mnemonic.
[...]
The only perk to going to class is that you have to get up at a reasonable hour. I've gone to class and seen what people do (how productive could I be if I was doing this). A room of facebook screens. A wasted drive to school/drive home. A lecture that goes on 10 minutes too long for most people. Topics in which you can easily get lost. Hyper-gunners keeping you trapped when you want to go to the bathroom asking stupid questions that they could frigging Google or look-up in the reading or Access Medicine. Most people would be better of skipping class, group study, whatever and just spend more time reading the books.
Yes, just minor differences of opinion.

Checking out structures that are better examples/ones you can't find on yours is helpful. While I didn't find the lab studying to be as pertinent for success (except in the case of the pelvis/perineum, for which it was definitely advantageous), there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat (or cadaver...).

A mnemonic just refers to a device used for aiding memory, so it can be an acronym, a phrase, etc.

Definitely true about people who go to class just to waste time on Facebook, meme sites, etc. - there's simply no point in going to class at that point. For it to be beneficial, you have to stay engaged and not fool around. I'm sure it could be dependent on the school/class/teacher - I just noticed that many of the top students for both general medicine and podiatry were pretty much always in class and it was personally helpful for me (a ton of people don't go and pass, however, so either way can work).