Different between small and large neuro programs

Started by LAhottie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LAhottie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am interested in going into private practice or neurohospitalist. I will be in the 2011 match. What are the pros and cons of going into a smaller neuro program? I've seen some that are even at one position per year, but moreso 2-3. Thank you.
 
A big difference can be in call schedule. The fewer the residents, the more frequent the call (most times). Also, if you have multiple hospitals but few residents, things can get stretched out on the services as well. So, you want enough residents to be able to parse out the work so there's time to pursue the electives that you want, but not too many people that you become a....medicine resident in a huge program. This is why I turned down Partners - I didn't want to be 1 of 17 - and that's just for one year's class. But, others like that. So, it really ends up depending on you. For me, the minimum was 4 (per year) and the max was around 8-9, with 6-7 being ideal.
 
A big difference can be in call schedule. The fewer the residents, the more frequent the call (most times). Also, if you have multiple hospitals but few residents, things can get stretched out on the services as well. So, you want enough residents to be able to parse out the work so there's time to pursue the electives that you want, but not too many people that you become a....medicine resident in a huge program. This is why I turned down Partners - I didn't want to be 1 of 17 - and that's just for one year's class. But, others like that. So, it really ends up depending on you. For me, the minimum was 4 (per year) and the max was around 8-9, with 6-7 being ideal.

Don't smaller programs provide more individualized instruction from faculty in general? Also, most of the 2-3 residents per year I see cover a single hospital when on call -- something that is really great.