Different paths to take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c0in3d

Jr Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a premed student who is also an emt and thinking about becoming a clinician rather than moving onto med school. I have heard through the grapevine that I can enroll in a LVN program and then turn around and enroll in a RN program. Is that true? Can you become a RN without a degree from traditional schooling? What I'm getting at is I want to become a RN first and still have part-time school.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what an LVN is (do you mean LPN?), but I know that there are three kinds of RNs: BSNs, Associate's Degree RNs, and certificate RNs. I know of a few people in nursing that just have a certificate (all of them are paramedics who took a Paramedic-to-RN bridge class). I also think that you can transition from an LPN to an RN (knew an LPN who said that was what she planned to do). I'm not sure what you're getting at with "I want to become a RN first and still have part-time school." Are you saying that you want to be able to go to RN classes part-time, while also taking classes part-time at your college, thus gaining both an RN and a BS or BA in another field? I guess you can do that, just may take a little juggling.

I don't know what an LVN is (do you mean LPN?), but I know that there are three kinds of RNs: BSNs, Associate's Degree RNs, and certificate RNs. I know of a few people in nursing that just have a certificate (all of them are paramedics who took a Paramedic-to-RN bridge class). I also think that you can transition from an LPN to an RN (knew an LPN who said that was what she planned to do). I'm not sure what you're getting at with "I want to become a RN first and still have part-time school." Are you saying that you want to be able to go to RN classes part-time, while also taking classes part-time at your college, thus gaining both an RN and a BS or BA in another field? I guess you can do that, just may take a little juggling.

in cali and TEXAS LPNs are called LVNs

I was thinking about becoming a certificate RN first and continue going to school to get a degree in registered nursing. Does anyone know the differences between a certificate RN, AS RN and BSNs? Is there a difference in the level of responsibilities and pay between these three?