Different "personalities" of schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eventualeventer

Medical Tire Fire
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The mention on another thread about Cornell being thought of as cut-throat got me thinking . . .

Do different vet schools have different "personalities"? I know each class will have students who are friendly, competitive, etc., but are there consistent or noticeable differences in the social atmospheres of different schools?
 
I'm not really sure who would be unbiased enough to verify one way or the other...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, if we're going for reputations... I didn't apply to Missouri because I heard from several sources that they were looking for very traditional students (early 20s, strong overall GPA, etc.) and accepted few people with non-traditional backgrounds.

I honestly have no idea if it's true or not (any more or less than the Cornell cut-throat thing), but it was enough to scare me away. I'm actually pretty curious to hear from someone who actually goes there to see if there's anything to it.
 
Our faculty/admissions say every class has a distinct personality to it. I think we are going for/obtaining a reputation for diversity (non-trads, URMs, sex, etc.)
 
i just wanted to say that my friend was VERY non-traditional and got in(she was in her late 30's with a felony).


i didn't apply to some schools b/c i didnt think i'd get in. but i did apply to colorado...as one of those (if i got into this one, i'd crap myself)...and i didn't crap myself but i did cry. LOL.


anyway, my point was to say that even though most schools 'normally' accept a certain type of person....try to be the abnormal. LOL. if that makes sense!
 
Of course this is a totally unbiased opinion, but if I could describe VMRCVM's personality in one word, that word would be "awesome."

The only real "reputation" type thing that I've ever heard is about Penn students being a little pretentious. I don't think that matches up to anyone I've met from UPenn - I would say that there are probably some pretentious jerks (and nice people, and fun people, and weird people and etc) from every school.