Different Programs, Different Stresses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EBI831

legend in the making
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm an MS2 who at the moment and for the past year actually has been in love with the field of ENT/ the idea of it. I love that it is a mix of medicine and surgery and that from what i've seen you can choose the ratio of medicine to surgery that you do on a daily basis. At first, I was drawn to ENT because I've spent the last 3 summers (this one included actually ie i'm doing a head and neck cancer project) working on some sort of oncology project. I decided, however, that I didn't really like the helplessness I saw from medical oncologist (ie i wanted to be the one cutting out the tumor, etc). I don't have the physics sense or interest in radiology to be a rad-onc and I loved head and neck anatomy so I randomly go the opportunity to shadow an ENT. I don't know if it was her personality or what but I loved it. Now, I've finished taking neuroanatomy/neurobiology in med school and I like the thinking game involved and especially the vestibular system/hearing disorders. Also, since undergrad (and continued into med school thru an elective) i've had an interest in sleep medicine and I love that ENTs deal with sleep apnea too. But, I'm starting to find that in shadowing the doctor, that head and neck cancers are a little too depressing for me. I get too attached and i hate to say it but it sometimes grosses me out. So, this is a long winded way to ask if at different residency programs they stress different parts of ENT because it seems to me that my home program is really big into head and neck cancer (but this is an opinion derived from about 3 months of observaton...ie flimsy) and I was wondering if this is the norm for most programs as my main interest lies in the other stuff: otology/nasal disorders ie apneas/sleep disorders.

Members don't see this ad.

You will see varying amount of Head & Neck depending on your residency. But you will get a fair amount generally because the private practice guys certainly don't want to do a 14 hour case and round on them for the next 10 days in the hospital. So yes, your academic centers will have a fair amount of cancer surgery but you'll get used to it. It is a little unsettling at first to see the resections.

Yes, you'll see a variety. I would say you'll get good exposure to most stuff at any program. But you may see a stronger otology portion at one, a stronger rhinology portion at another, and an stronger peds at yet another. However, you'll be good in everything once you're done.

Agree with resxn that most programs have strengths, but it is a little difficult to determine them while in med school. Almost all programs have big H&N depts but beyond that, emphasis can vary.